Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a dual canadian/british citizen and I am moving from Canada to england in a month. I am just wondering about setting up a bank account. I have read that it can take a long time to set one up in the UK. I haven't got a job or living arrangment lined up yet, and probably won't until I go. I am also not sure what documents would be required to set up an account.

I have heard that the HSBC passport is a good way to go. I am not sure if I can set this up before I leave Canada? Has anyone had experience with them?

Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
HSBC Canada can set you up worldwide. If there is a local branch near you best to go by. Fairly painless. If you do enough business with them it's free to. They count everything from your mortgage to RRSP and everything else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hsbc

I ask in HSBC in Mexico where I have an account. I can't find the paper they gave me but I think they ask for passport and an address in UK (I don't remember if they ask for proof or only the address, I asked if that can be my family address in Glasgow and they say, yes) They can set your account in one week more or less (check account) You can open the account with 200 pounds. If you are Premium client you have no minimum

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hi - normally for opening a bank account in the UK you need proof of identity and proof of address, eg electricity or phone bill, or similar - all originals, not copies - and from 2 different organisations.

Proof of identity is normally your passport - a photocopy is usually OK.

You may want to start looking at UK online bank websites for more information.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I applied through HSBC in the US and they did not need a UK address. Once I arrived, I updated my account with my address and contact details etc.

g

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.