Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first time to use this forum not quite sure if im using it correctly but here goes.

My Husband and I (We have two children aged 14 and 4) and we want to move to Central Portugal to set up our own B & B. What we are trying to find out is this area over run with B & B's already.

We have been to Portugal many times and find the people to be so friendly and lifestyle very relaxed.

Aisling

·
Banned
905 Posts

Hi Aisling

First welcome to the Forum.

Setting up a B & B. What can you offer that is not being catered for in the emarket place?

First find an area you would like to live. This is important as when your customers go home you still have to live there, schools for the children were and how far.

A lot has to be done for yourself before you can consider others, if you are not happy life will not be what you want.

Research that area find out all you can about it and what can be found that your customers would like to do. Is the road system easy to get to where you want to live. If it's not easy for you then how do you thing your customers will cope.

Spend as much time as you can reading previous posts on the Forum. Do not be afraid of asking questions we all need help and we can all also be of help.

When you find something that is of help Bookmark it.

Peter

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum,

There are a few b&b´s around central portugal and a lot of guest houses, some make a good living and some really struggle to find clients.

The most important thing to think about if you are planning this type of business is the location.

starting this type of business in the wrong place, where there are no attractions, historic towns, lakes, etc and easy road and rail access, distance from airports,will lead to problems, i have seen it,

some people have had this idea, but bought a property and started a business in the wrong place, which leads to very little interest and no income, others that have thought about where is the best place to get all year round business have had much more success.

also the further out from the things holliday makers are looking for the lower prices you will have to charge to get any business, people like to be near to things to do, and not far from the airport,

think about who your clients will be, where will they come from, local market or overseas, if your aiming at overseas, think about airport distance.

our company deals with a lot of rental properties and its very hard to rent property that is far from the airport, the big cities/towns and hard to get to.

Good luck with your plans.

·
Banned
533 Posts
B&B

Hi Aisling
I do agree completly with Peter and Derek, the advices are spot on, my question to you is; Do you and your husband have any experience running B&B´S, or it is something you fancy doing? If your plan to come over requires you to have to make a living, be very careful and don´t make any decision without been “sure” that it will work , or at least that there is a really good chance to make it. Some B&B´S are using mini-bus services to take clients to and from the airport, to and from the beach, days out shopping or visiting castles, cathedrals, museums, etch… there is also some middle age tourists coming in holidays to paint some of the gorgeous views, you can find around silver coast and central Portugal. So the market is there but like Derek said, some make it work, some don´t. Make sure you do plenty of homework before you make any decision
John999

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for replying to me so quickly and for all your comments.

We have never ran a B & B/Guesthouse before but we had a lot of ideas as to what we could offer as additional to the B & B/Guesthouse, we chose this as a way to start our new lives in Portugal, however, we are also open to other suggestions or ideas from yourselves who are working and living there at the moment.

I have heard that Tomar, Bucaso are beautiful, can you give me any information on these areas?

I look forward to your replies.

Aisling :)

·
Banned
573 Posts
:)

Hi Aisling,

I don't wish to sound negative, but the demand here for B+B is pretty non existant in my opinion and nothing at all like the irish market. What people fail to take into account is that it is possible to stay in very good hotels here for as little as €30 - €40 a night for a double room. A hotel can offer a bar,plus a very varied menu and also usually some form of entertainment at usually no extra cost. Taxis are also freely available to take people from A to B.

I just don't personally see how any B+B can successfully compete
against that. "Just my personal opinion and based on what I see!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Aisling i set up my own buisness here, and it took a while to get of the ground its not a b&b but i do a lot of work for them, if you are prepared to put the work in and make your b&b stand out, i think you could make it work its not easy at first, so make sure you have the right area and stand by cash to fall back on, when you first get going but i allways say you can have anything you want if you work at it it, wont come to you go get it, good luck if i would have lisend to negitive i would not have tried. patsy

·
Banned
533 Posts
B&B

Hi Aisling
It is true what patsy says. When she started not many believed that she would make it, but she did, and she does quite well
John 999

·
Registered
710 Posts
i know some b&b owners that do very well, lots of repeat guests, but getting it right is hard if you buy in the wrong place, location is key to a success in that type of business, oh and the ability to cook a good breakfast....lol

·
Banned
533 Posts
B&B

Huummm, bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms, black pudding, baked beans, tomatoes, potato cakes and a few slice of toast with best butter, yummy!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your comments, it really helps getting difference of opinions from everyone.

;) Omastra I have been known to make a mean breakfast, lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Huummm, bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms, black pudding, baked beans, tomatoes, potato cakes and a few slice of toast with best butter, yummy!!!
Huummm, but it has to be real back bacon, Irish Kearns Sausages (believe me they are the best), Clonakilty Black and White Pudding, potatoe cakes, hash browns (don't forget them), i could go on and on, But when we eventually get there Ill make the meanest Irish Brekkie for you all :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Huummm, but it has to be real back bacon, Irish Kearns Sausages (believe me they are the best), Clonakilty Black and White Pudding, potatoe cakes, hash browns (don't forget them), i could go on and on, But when we eventually get there Ill make the meanest Irish Brekkie for you all :)
oh, dont say that to us lot, we will hold you to it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep good old porridge thats what i give my two and they get a fry when they are very lucky otherwise, Stuart (my eldest) wouldnt be able to run up and down the soccer pitch.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You mean to say you didnt have the Weetabix Sandwiches, they were so dry you felt like you were choking if you didnt get water :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Omastra, can you suggest any good locations that we should start researching on in the Central Portugal close to Coimbre area.

Our problem is that we have spent the last approx. 3 years researching the Minho, we absolutely loved it but what we found was that the weather was not that great, obviously thats why it is so beautiful and green. This is why we have decided to travel further south, we love the green but we like the nice sunny days too.

Another option apart from the B&B/Guesthouse we were thinking of (like everyone else was maybe have an additional house on the land and let it out or maybe an Apartment, can you recommend anything on your website

Hope you dont mind me asking all the questions :) Thanks again for your comments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts