Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, if i was to set up a small business in france, say turnover is 35K euros a year and profit is 25K euros a year.I was told I have to pay around 40-50% in social charges and tax thus would leave me around 13k euros a year(not very much). But would i have rights to claim anything like in england ie family allowance etc as by paying 40-50% in the social charges etc I would be paying into the system. Any advice thanks (I am a uk citizen, with partner and 3 young children)

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
Wish we had your margins! But as I mentioned before - it really depends how your business is set up.

If you have a real business and pay yourself a salary then the company pays about 40% of your salary in social charges. You pay about 20% (again, of your salary). The business deducts your salary and the social insurances as business expenses, thus leaving less profit for the business to pay its income tax on.

And yes, if you are paying into the system then you are eligible for receiving benefits.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi bev, thanks for reply. My partner and i show and breed pedigree dogs.A lady that use to breed in france(she is english) informed me that this kind of business is under the guise of agriculture (MSA) and that they would charge nearly 50% in social charges etc, but that this would get you into the "french system" she also said if you do less than 1200hours per year you can elect to pay solidarité cotisations which is 1200 euros a year BUT not allowed into the system?(does anyone know that for sure, ie if it is the case right now) I dont know about paying myself a salary bit, if i have £25k euros and half goes to social charges etc then whats left is for me and the family, not really a set wage/salary.

Does anyone know what threshold someone can earn and get family allowance etc? or any website with that info. thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.