Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I'm wanting/hoping to relocate to spain, either costa del sol or costa blanca in the not too distant future, to work for myself as a personal trainer. Probably early next year. I'm trying to get as much info as possible regarding moving out, setting up home, but more importantly setting up a solo business. Little experience of working for myself, let alone in a new country, but having little ties/baggage, apart from the gf, middle age, quite well travelled, so would like as many eye openers and honest opinions about the chances of success as possible.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum - the word you're looking for is "Autonomo" which means self employed and you pay a fixed amount every month regardelss of income. Altho I believe there is a low start fee (I think???), it ultimately will be around 250€ a month.

My opinion on your chances of success???????? hhhmmm, not good. high unemployment and desperate people usually means luxuries such as personal trainers get shelved. But go over and do some research and see what you think???

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jojo, thanks for the reply. When I say success - I don't have any delusions of grandure, just to be able to make a living in a nice, pleasant environment without setting the business world on fire.:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi jojo, thanks for the reply. When I say success - I don't have any delusions of grandure, just to be able to make a living in a nice, pleasant environment without setting the business world on fire.:fingerscrossed:
lol, I understand. Personally I doubt if you'll make much more than enough to pay your autonomo, altho I dont know how much you charge or how many clients you anticipate or will have. See what the others say. At least paying autonomo means that you'll have healthcare cover

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

You need to do a lot of research before you make any decision. There are millions of out of work Spaniards who just want to make a living......in any kind of conditions. Unemployment is rife- 30% in many areas. That means competition for work/ setting up a business is fierce and also that there just isn't the disposable income for non essentials like a personal trainer.

You would also need to consider the bureucracy of starting a business. It can be very difficult and take a very long time, especially if you plan to have any kind of premises.

Have a read of this recent, similar thread -
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...rating-marbella-trainer-sports-therapist.html

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use a very good gym in Estepona,a centro deportivo.It is well staffed by fully qualified training staff who give one to one start ups as part of membership.Most are bilingual,and all offer private lessons as is the Spanish way.I would think it would be totally impossible to make a survivable wage in competition with these young people who work very hard and deserve support.They also work for very little money compared to what can be earnt in the UK.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
You need to do a lot of research before you make any decision. There are millions of out of work Spaniards who just want to make a living......in any kind of conditions. Unemployment is rife- 30% in many areas. That means competition for work/ setting up a business is fierce and also that there just isn't the disposable income for non essentials like a personal trainer.
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...rating-marbella-trainer-sports-therapist.html
I agree, but...
Who are the peope who would use a personal trainer - the well off, right? It seems to me that in this crisis, although everyone has been touched to some extent, the people who had money have still got it.
However, that would mean setting up in a pricey area which is always difficult and this kind of thing works very much on word of mouth, doesn't it? That would be difficult and risky too.
There's also the problem of the language, although I can imagine snob value being added having a personal training who speaks English.
I don't know, it's risky, but might be worth doing some research into.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts