Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola.

First post in this forum.

I'm an Aussie who has been living in Dubai since 2010. I met my wife here in Dubai also.

It's time to get out of the sand pit, and neither of us wants to live in our home countries.

After much discussion, we have agreed on Spain as our country of choice, as we have both spent a lot of time working there, and really love the culture and nature.

We are leaving Dubai with good savings, and I would like to continue my consulting business there. My wife is setting up an online vintage clothing store.

Any information regarding non EU residency and starting a business would be much appreciated. We also intend to buy property mortgage free, once we settle in.

Gracias

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Hola.

I'm an Aussie who has been living in Dubai since 2010. I met my wife here in Dubai also.

It's time to get out of the sand pit, and neither of us wants to live in our home countries.

After much discussion, we have agreed on Spain as our country of choice, as we have both spent a lot of time working there, and really love the culture and nature.

We are leaving Dubai with good savings, and I would like to continue my consulting business there. My wife is setting up an online vintage clothing store.

Any information regarding non EU residency and starting a business would be much appreciated. We also intend to buy property mortgage free, once we settle in.

Gracias

Hope you don't mind me asking but is your EU wife from the UK or not ? as there could be Brexit considerations
to be taken into account - in our answers.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Hola.

Gracias
Personally - if I were in your position ( that is maxing out on your business opportunities & investments ) I would
move to the UK, particularly as it's favourable for getting your EU spouse ( under the wire ) in terms of British
residency and your residency before final Brexit on 29th March 2019.

Spain is rubbish, as far as savings and investments are concerned whereas the UK is falling over themselves
to max out your investments in Property, Share ISA's and ( when you become eligible ) SIPPS, particularly
the tax free element of ISA's and SIPPS - whereas Spain would laugh at the very idea of such savings incentives.

Likewise with Property:
The UK will always be a struggling with a shortage of property to meet demand.
In Spain - well the Spaniards went crazy with their property developments, many unregulated and Spain
felt the 2007-2008 Financial crisis worst than most because the banks thought they couldn't lose, lending
to people to buy a mortgage, etc in Spain.
Therefore loads of negative equity stories in Spain, particularly amongst Expats who bought just before
the financial crisis.

To top it all - The British Pound is ridiculously cheap against many major currencies, thanks to the fallout
from the Brexit vote - therefore your money from Dubai will definitely go a lot further in your ambitions
in the UK, than they would have done even a couple of years ago.

Still if your hearts set on Spain - then LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION is the byword and ( never, never,
ever ) go for the asking price for any property in Spain - always drive a hard bargain.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input, but sorry to say, I cannot stand the UK.

I would rather go back to Australia.

I have just done 7 years in Dubai maximising my opportunities and now it's time to enjoy the fruit.

As long as I have an internet connection and an international airport not too far away, I can make the same money and investments as I do now, here in Dubai.

As far as the property, we actually want to build an off grid house, so will be looking for a patch of land away from the city.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Love to know which financial institutions in the U.K. are going to offer me the attractive rates you suggest.(Rubs hands together in anticipation).

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Not entirely sure what you need to know. If you have money then it is easy to just set yourself up anywhere even if you are not EU. However as your wife is EU passport holder then it will make it easier. As far as business is concerned you just pay your tax here on all your income earned and probably you will need to set yourselves up as self-employed which is 260 Euros a month. Nothing to it. However if you wish to secure good passive investments then that will need to be done by putting your money off-shore and declare it annually. That can be the issue with some people as all your foreign assets over 50,000 Euros need to be declared here in Spain. Wealthy people don't appear to like that and therefore tend to choose to live in richer countries with low or non-existent tax laws.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
As far as your business ideas are concerned if you can work freelance consulting in other countries and just need a base then that is easy if, as you say, you are near an airport. You don't say where you want to live but the south of spain is well served with airports.. Selling things online is pretty popular here with foreigners looking for business ideas but as with all these things they probably don't make as much as they hope to and a lot simply don't declare themselves as businesses but the spanish banks and tax man are far more vigilant than the UK tax office. So that's it, however I would be surprised if you could make as much as you can in places like Dubai. In fact it begs the question why live in Spain if you plan to do business elsewhere, don't speak Spanish and have money?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi Kaipa, thanks for your detailed responses!

I work as a hospitality design consultant. I used to have most of my clients here in Dubai as there was a massive boom. Now the local hospitality industry is going backwards, due to many reasons, and for the last year the majority of my work has been in Europe and America. I really would be happy if I never went to the USA again as I'm not a big fan of the culture there either.

I have major clients in Ibiza, UK, Netherlands, etc. I also have a large base of friends living there, some local, some not. I realise Ibiza is not cheap, and it's a bit isolated in the off season, but I also realise it's pretty hard to lose money on property there, and it is the global hub of my niche industry. We do not want to go there for the hedonistic lifestyle. Quite the opposite actually. We have been looking at land with permissions in the quiet parts of the island - but I need to travel there again after the silly season to take a proper look. I didn't mention Ibiza in my earlier posts, as a lot of people draw the wrong conclusions when I say I want to move there, I've noticed.

My wife is gifted with languages (already speaks 6) and won't have any problems in that regard. I spent 4 months on a project in Mexico last year and it was then that I realised that it would be possible for me to learn Spanish with some effort. I already know the basics to get by, due to working with a team that spoke zero English for a few months, but I need to work on it a lot. All my friends living in Ibiza are fluent (most of them expats there for 10+ years) and learning the language is one of my main objectives when we arrive. I'm afraid I will always be the ****** Australiano to my local friends, as they fondly refer to me since Mexico :)

With regards to the wife's store, it will mostly be to keep her busy and we won't be in trouble if there is not a lot of revenue there.

Specifically I would like to know about the procedure to register a company as a non EU expat as my contacts over there are all from the EU and don't have much info for me. Also tax implications of transferring money from my (tax free) Dubai accounts. Maybe it would be best to take a local mortgage and pay it off with money from Dubai accounts? Potentially I'd also like to be able to import and sell Sound and lighting equipment in the future as an added revenue to what I'm doing now.

And any other tips and things I might need to know would also be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Hola.

Gracias
You started posting back in 2011 but was a nightclub worker then :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You started posting back in 2011 but was a nightclub worker then :confused:
I've been working in the entertainment/ nightclub industry since 2000. I came over to Dubai to do the opening of Armani Prive, because in 2009 there was a financial crisis that hurt my business in Australia. I then started a business here doing the same thing I was previously doing in Australia - club design and consulting. I have grown up a lot since then and my business has done very well. I haven't even been to a nightclub outside of building one for a few years. I used to also DJ, but I have since given that up to focus on the consulting career, which ended up being a very wise decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts