Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what happens if you serve a notice based on a rental disagreement to the other party and the other party just refuses to acknowledge receipt of the notice ?
(when the courier turns up, they just refuse to take the letter)

The rental laws in Dubai seem to rely on registered post or couriers - both of which can be ignored by a recipient if so desired.

Does the use of notary public get round this problem or can you back up the fact that you sent it with emails/messages etc. ?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Doubling down eh ?

I would have thought proof of posting was enough, even if not delivered, to show the court (quite clearly that you are harassing the tenant that is ) :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Does anyone know what happens if you serve a notice based on a rental disagreement to the other party and the other party just refuses to acknowledge receipt of the notice ?
Better think this through. If you've already offered your tenant some sort of incentive to move out before the contract expires, in a way that he can submit to a court/committee, he'd have a field day there filing a complaint against you.

I mean, that's what I would have done.

But one simple question, if your goal is simply to sell the property, why don't you sell it together with tenant? Let the new LL handle this in any way (s)he sees fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I 'm guessing the notary public comes into play here where you can be guaranteed it will be delivered ? Not sure though . I got mine through registered post . Last heard emails don't count . I haven't read your other thread in detail but I'm assuming you are entitled to a rent increase by 5 percent according to the RERA calculator ? If not , everything is a moo point . However , as I've told you , technically ( unethically) if you can prove that you are evicting the tenant for reasons stated by law , you can serve the notice and if they don't accept it you can go to RERA and get them involved . In the event that your tenant finds out that you evicted them stating one reason and then rented it out to someone else for a higher price then you 'll have to pay fines and go through a rent committee procedure that from what I've heard is not very pleasant .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts