Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked many times but we are just looking into buying a small place in Normandy and of course has a septic tank that will need replacing in the first year of ownership i am told. I am quite a practical person so just trying to gauge the cost of replacement the house is small 2 bedrooms detached is it a common replacement and reasonably cheap to get done and can any of the work be done by myself. Thanks for any info as i am new to the site. Also trying to suss out ferry prices do they have many special offers and which is the cheapest way to get to Normandy from Cheshire.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
In relation to septic tanks I am afraid it is not quite a case of DIY -the first thing you need to do is to have the site surveyed and the soil tested usually by an organisation called SPANC who will the draw up a site plan and tell you what sort of system you can have on your site.The next thing is to either call in a contractor to give an estimate(devis) or you can look at DIY .However all builders etc are required to have insurance which covers their work for 10 years and if you DIY there will be no insurance so when you come to sell you will have problems.Likewise no contractor is going to work on a site where unregistered people ie you have done work.After the fosse is installed then it has to be inspected and certified and if you have done the work then the inspection may be picky.In respect of costs a standard fosse with filter bed should be around€8000 but may be more or less depending on your soil or whether you can have a microstation

1 - 2 of 2 Posts