Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife got married here in the UK and then she was successfully granted ILR for 2.5 years. Our relationship started to break down about a year ago, so we decided to take a break and things did not improve. We have been living apart ever since We only just found out a few days ago, that we should have informed the home office of this update, and she has roughly 3 months left on her visa before it expires. As a result of finding out this information we intend to write to the home office straight away to inform them that we have separated and that the visa should be cancelled. my wife is happy with this and understands she will need to leave the country and will do so when instructed by the home office. my question is as we have not realised until now that we need to inform the home office will either of us face any sanctions or punishment?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
No..... indeed some folks do not inform the HO of a change in circumstances (such as separation), do not renew the visa and just leave the UK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding so quickly. Just another quick question if you don't mind.. my wife says she has been informed (not sure how reliable the source is) that when we do write to the home office to notify them of our separation that we have to show proof of the date we separated?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Thanks for responding so quickly. Just another quick question if you don't mind.. my wife says she has been informed (not sure how reliable the source is) that when we do write to the home office to notify them of our separation that we have to show proof of the date we separated?
Don't know if this evidence is needed or not - would it be a problem to provide it if it is?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.