Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Seniors,

I am starting to apply for australian PR. I have following questions, it will be nice if some can help me with these -

1) Should I use agent or apply myself? I spoke to some Indian agents in Bglore, but kind of dont trust them. Contacted or checked fees of Australian MARA registered agents, those are very costly. Seeing from this forum to me it looks like many people are applying just themselves, kindly advise which is the best way to initiate the application?

2) I am not sure what is this RPL application. Looks like it's for people who studied in different stream but are now working in different stream as of their studies mostly IT people. I am also applying for IT category. I have 15 years of IT experience, Bachelors of Electrical Enginnering from IIT Roorkee. 1991-1995 pass out. Since I m electrical engg and now since past 15 years I working in IT what forms should I fill, kindly assist me here.

3) Out of 15 years of my work exp, I have 6 years of US work exp on H1 and remaining India experience, currently also I am in India. Will US experience will give me any extra points, I see overseas exp question is there in Point System evaluation, hence asking?

Please advise me looking forward for your response. And also when I submit my application do I need to provide all the documents with the application now or it is supposed to be provided later on?

Thanks so much for reading my post and appreciate your help.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hello Seniors,

I am starting to apply for australian PR. I have following questions, it will be nice if some can help me with these -

1) Should I use agent or apply myself? I spoke to some Indian agents in Bglore, but kind of dont trust them. Contacted or checked fees of Australian MARA registered agents, those are very costly. Seeing from this forum to me it looks like many people are applying just themselves, kindly advise which is the best way to initiate the application?

2) I am not sure what is this RPL application. Looks like it's for people who studied in different stream but are now working in different stream as of their studies mostly IT people. I am also applying for IT category. I have 15 years of IT experience, Bachelors of Electrical Enginnering from IIT Roorkee. 1991-1995 pass out. Since I m electrical engg and now since past 15 years I working in IT what forms should I fill, kindly assist me here.

3) Out of 15 years of my work exp, I have 6 years of US work exp on H1 and remaining India experience, currently also I am in India. Will US experience will give me any extra points, I see overseas exp question is there in Point System evaluation, hence asking?

Please advise me looking forward for your response. And also when I submit my application do I need to provide all the documents with the application now or it is supposed to be provided later on?

Thanks so much.
Please find my answers below.

1) I would recommend you to do it yourself unless there are some major issues which you cannot overcome and need an expert advice on.

2) It depends on your course curriculum. Mostly people from EEE background have had to undergo the assessment through the RPL route. Please check the ACS website for more details on RPL.

3) No. Only Australian experience gets you extra points. Rest will fetch you the same points. In your case 15 points as you have more than 8 years of experience.

The process you need to follow is as follows:

First check if your skill code is on their "Skills in demand" list. If its on SOL1 then you can either go for 175 or 176 and if your skill code is on the SOL2 then you can only apply for 176. Also, take up the points test on the DIAC website and find out if you can score the required 65 points. If you can, then follow the below steps:

ACS - Take the RPL route and apply for assessment.
IELTS - Take up IELTS to score the required band as per your points test result on the DIAC website.
State Sponsorship - If you are applying for 176, then you need to select the state which is offering sponsorship for your skill code and apply. Only Victoria and South Australia are free while all the states charge you for the application.
Visa - Your final step is to apply for visa. After you have paid the visa fee & submitted your application, you will be given a unique TRN and a link to upload your docs.

175 visa type is taking around 6-8 months on an average these days while 176 is taking a about month or two to be granted. So choice is yours.

Hope the above helps. Give us a shout here if you have any questions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My comments

1)You can apply on your own.... no need to hire agent.

2)You have to write RPL + 2 projects to prove that you have learnt ICT skills while working and training. Try to describe how and when (and why) you aquired IT skills.

3)ACS will consider both experiences as same overseas (US and India) exp.

You need to provide all the documents with the application now

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks coolsnake and jagadeesha and rgogada for your response. Thanks for reading my long post and helping me with my queries, really appreciate it.

1) I have few questions that how much time does RPL process takes?

2) And I think I should apply as S/W Eng or Developer Programmer only, it all development, lead and architect experience that I posses, what do you suggest? Only at start of my career for 1st 4 years I worked as electrical engineer. Since past 11 years I am into IT ( Java development).

3) About IELTS, do I need to have IELTS result before I file application or I need to submit IELTS score at later stage. Currently when I will evaluate my file I will evaluate based on 7.0 score (10 points) only. If I have to submit IELTS results later then after how many days/ months approximately?

4) About points scoring related to regional language (Hindi), do I need to take some test (NAATI, I have heard of) or just providing 10th and 12th marksheet will suffice? I m from North India and Hindi is mandatory subject in schools there.

These are few more queries I have kindly help me with these.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As suggested about RPL, I serached RPL in immi.gov.au site but nothing came up there. Then I searched by thsi string "RPL australia Immigration" and I found this Australian Computer Society - Computer Professional Education Program, FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Looking at this site I can not find anywhere where it states that I will need RPL for filing Australian PR if my degree is different then my current job stream or category I m applying for.

Kindly share me the source from immigration site, where it states that who needs to take RPL and what all is needed to take RPL. Kindly help me in this regard, meanwhile I am also looking into it, as soon as I find something I will post it here to get your views.

Thanks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
As suggested about RPL, I serached RPL in immi.gov.au site but nothing came up there. Then I searched by thsi string "RPL australia Immigration" and I found this Australian Computer Society - Computer Professional Education Program, FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Looking at this site I can not find anywhere where it states that I will need RPL for filing Australian PR if my degree is different then my current job stream or category I m applying for.

Kindly share me the source from immigration site, where it states that who needs to take RPL and what all is needed to take RPL. Kindly help me in this regard, meanwhile I am also looking into it, as soon as I find something I will post it here to get your views.

Thanks.

Hi

Probably this will answer your question from ACS guidelines.

RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING (RPL)
Applicants who do not hold an ICT (or ICT-related) qualification, but have a qualification in another discipline which is assessed as being at least comparable to the general educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor (undergraduate) degree or higher degree level qualification, may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Applicants in this category should have at least six (6) years of full time professional ICT work experience in a field closely related to the nominated occupation
Applicants who do not hold any tertiary qualification but have extensive professional development education, may also apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Applicants in this category should have at least eight (8) years of full time professional ICT work experience in a field closely related to the nominated occupation.
It is recognised that some applicants may have spent a considerable length of time in professional-level ICT employment without having acquired a formal qualification equivalent to an Australian Degree or Diploma. This employment may have been supplemented by informal study and/or training in courses conducted by education or industry based organisations.

The purpose of RPL is to give applicants the opportunity to demonstrate that they have acquired a level of knowledge equivalent to that of a formal tertiary ICT qualification. Emphasis is on demonstrating what has been learned rather than what has been done. For this reason, applicants are asked to address as many of the areas referred to in the Key Areas of Knowledge they consider are covered by their acquired knowledge.
Applicants are expected to demonstrate a clear comprehension of a number of the individual thematic modules within their chosen knowledge areas. Applicants should also be able to demonstrate application in at least one of the units or modules which should be clearly supported by professional references included and the Project Reports submitted in section 4 of the RPL Application Form.
Sufficient detail must be provided to demonstrate the depth and breadth of knowledge associated with a formal course of study. In addition applicants are required to submit two Project Reports, each providing a detailed description of a career episode in the applicant’s employment in sufficient detail as evidence of applying the claimed knowledge to a working situation.

Applicants are required to provide two project reports.

Of the two reports, one must pertain to project undertaken within the last three years, and the other for project within the last five years. Projects over two years long may be used for both reports under either of the following conditions:

• The project has clearly-defined work efforts which took place in parallel, each with their own solution development and design activities and their own deliverables.
• The project had clearly-defined phases that were executed in succession, each with its own solution development and design activities and deliverables. Note that a second project phase that constructs and implements the solution developed by the first phase does not meet this requirement.
Depending on the nature of the applicant’s role in the project, this would be expected to cover a selection of such factors as:
• System analysis and design and software engineering methodologies used;
• Contribution to the processes involved in the design and implementation of enterprise-wide computer systems;
• Programming languages, design paradigms and implementation procedures adopted;
• Database and/or file design and management techniques employed;
• Network topologies, including size, distribution and security facilities installed;
• Project management and quality assurance techniques followed;
• Internet application design, including database interactivity and security measures implemented;
• ICT managerial activities, demonstrating the nature and extent of responsibilities.

Applicants must complete and sign DECLARATION OF AUTHORSHIP for each project report.
Applicants who apply for RPL and do not hold a recognised tertiary academic qualification will have deducted from their total work experience a period of relevant IT (Computing) Professional experience deemed necessary to have reached the level of qualification allocated. For example, if an applicant is allocated a qualification level equivalent to a 2-year diploma, they will have two years deducted from the total of their recognized work experience, and therefore eight years in total will be needed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks coolsnake and jagadeesha and rgogada for your response. Thanks for reading my long post and helping me with my queries, really appreciate it.

1) I have few questions that how much time does RPL process takes?

2) And I think I should apply as S/W Eng or Developer Programmer only, it all development, lead and architect experience that I posses, what do you suggest? Only at start of my career for 1st 4 years I worked as electrical engineer. Since past 11 years I am into IT ( Java development).

3) About IELTS, do I need to have IELTS result before I file application or I need to submit IELTS score at later stage. Currently when I will evaluate my file I will evaluate based on 7.0 score (10 points) only. If I have to submit IELTS results later then after how many days/ months approximately?

4) About points scoring related to regional language (Hindi), do I need to take some test (NAATI, I have heard of) or just providing 10th and 12th marksheet will suffice? I m from North India and Hindi is mandatory subject in schools there.

These are few more queries I have kindly help me with these.

Thanks so much.
1) I will let people who have gone through the RPL route to answer this question.

2) You can go through the ACS website for the roles & responsibilities for Software Engineer skill code and see if it matches your job profile. If you have worked on Java Development, then S/W Engineer should be your code. ACS wont consider any of the non-IT experience you possess. So you can only submit documents to prove your experience for the 11 years in IT.

3) IELTS should be completed before you file the visa application.

4) I think you will have to complete NAATI to be able to gain those point. Again, I will let people who have scored points for regional language answer this question. But as far as I know, you cannot use your school marksheet to gain the regional language points.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Applying yourself will be the best option.The process is pretty much straight forward.Agents dont do anything special. They will also read from the website and pass on the info to you.
Plz avoid Y-Axis Overseas ,Hyderabad at all cost.

Overseas experience will give you extra points
You should submit all the required docs at the time of application

Thanks so much.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Indian

You might want to ask here about RPL, h just got a positive assessment
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...578-got-positive-skills-assement-yeh-yeh.html

Hope this helps

search for RPL format int he forum, alizulf posted the format long back, i think he posted adn then deleted and then posted again in page two of his thread.
I reckon plan things fast as we are nearing July, that is when the system's changing, You stil have 4 months in hand and i am sure if you do it fast you can submit application much before that with DIAC.

wish you luck

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Indian

You might want to ask here about RPL, h just got a positive assessment
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...578-got-positive-skills-assement-yeh-yeh.html

Hope this helps

search for RPL format int he forum, alizulf posted the format long back, i think he posted adn then deleted and then posted again in page two of his thread.
I reckon plan things fast as we are nearing July, that is when the system's changing, You stil have 4 months in hand and i am sure if you do it fast you can submit application much before that with DIAC.

wish you luck
Thanks Anj1976, lifeisgood and coolsnake for your responses, really appecaite it.

I would liek to jot down the steps that I think need to do.

1) Prepare RPL report first.
2) Fill online form for 175 or 176 visa and submit it.
3) About IELTS, I have to give IELTS on 31st Mar, so can I still fill the form online and submit it with RPL?

Now I will get TRV, I can check my status online. Once ACS assessment is done, then I will have to send all the documents PCC, Health Checkup report. Is this a right understanding?

Please tell me if I m understanding it correctly or there is any gap. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks Anj1976, lifeisgood and coolsnake for your responses, really appecaite it.

I would liek to jot down the steps that I think need to do.

1) Prepare RPL report first.
2) Fill online form for 175 or 176 visa and submit it.
3) About IELTS, I have to give IELTS on 31st Mar, so can I still fill the form online and submit it with RPL?

Now I will get TRV, I can check my status online. Once ACS assessment is done, then I will have to send all the documents PCC, Health Checkup report. Is this a right understanding?

Please tell me if I m understanding it correctly or there is any gap. Thanks again for all your help.
let me put it this way.

1. Skill assessment with RPL: You need to prepare all the required docs and send them to ACS with requisite fee. You need to get a positive result from this to continue further. this will take about a month.
2. IELTS
3. Apply for state sponsorship online (needed for 176 only)
4. Apply for actual visa 175/176 online. you need to upload all the docs you have sent for Skill assessment.
5. Wait for CO to be allotted.
6.Apply for PCC and medicals and upload them.
7. Get the visa grant and fly

those are the steps. research more on each one of them. This sticky will be helpful.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
DO not apply for the visa unnless you have your assessment in hand, your money will go down the drain, assesment is the first step and the most time consuming one, once thru rest follows fairly easily as you have all the required documents in hand.

While waiting for the assessment you can take IELTS. If you have booked for IELTS already, go for it, I am sure you will get the required score but incase you do not, you will still have time to take it again.

Once you get the assessment and IELTS, apply for the visa, if you have a spouse, she has to either take ielts as well or has to get a letter form the univ/school stating all her subjects were in English medium, that way she can omit IELTS.

state sponsorship comes before the visa application if you plan to apply for 176.

Once you have a CO go for PCC adn meds but if you apply for 176 you can go for the same before getting the CO as these days 176 applications are fairly fast which means oyu do not waste time to book both, when you have a CO, since you have everyhting sent already, your application moves faster.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much rgogada and Anj1976 for your response, truly appreciate your help.
I know I am asking lot of basic questions here but those are stemming up from lot of reading I m doing on the various forums. First of I apologize if I m bugging people with my little knowledge. At same time I am thankful for your patience and time you guys are putting in helping people around here. I don't want to go through any agent and I have started this process last week only, hence I m asking so many questions.

rgogada you mentioned that Skill-assessment with RPL. If I am understanding correctly then skill-assessment is required by people who have ICT degree
My source of info is PASA Guidelines for Applicants pdf -
From the guidelines -
3 - Skills Assessment
 This is a general skills application for applicants with an ICT Diploma Degree or higher and ICT skilled employment.
 The assessment result letter will report the applicant’s ICT Educational Qualifications and ICT Skilled Employment experience suitability to the nominated occupation ANZSCO code for Points Test and skilled migration purposes.

My Question - If my Electrical Engg degree is non-ICT degree then also do I need to go through Skill-assessment?

As per PASA guidelines
6 – RPL Assessment – (Recognition of Prior Learning)
 This application is for applicants without an ICT educational qualification. It provides the opportunity to demonstrate that the applicant has acquired a level of knowledge equivalent to that of a formal tertiary ICT qualification.
 The assessment result letter will report the applicant’s ICT suitability to the nominated occupation ANZSCO code for Points Test and skilled migration purposes.

So considering I m non-ICT degree holder - I have to follow following steps -
There are two (2) categories applicable for RPL applications.
1. Applicants with a NON ICT degree qualification.
 Applicants require a minimum of six (6) years of full time professional ICT skilled
employment in a field closely related to the nominated occupation ANZSCO Code.
 Applicants are required to provide proven knowledge of skilled employment through
detailed documentation. (See Assessment of Skilled employment).
 Complete the ACS Key Areas of Knowledge document - Sections 2-4 of PASA (RPL)
 Complete two (2) project reports (contained within the ACS Key Areas of Knowledge document).

So initially I have to complete RPL from here - https://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=downloadforms

Then I have to make application as suggested below (from PASA Guidelines) -

3. MAKING AN APPLICATION
The applicant is required to complete all the information on the online Pre-Assessment Skills Assessment (PASA) application form found at - ACS Online Application Form

Please electronically attach certified copies of documents into the online application form for more efficient processing of your application.
After submitting the online application form, a confirmation Email with an application reference number and password will be sent to the applicants nominated email address.

Applicants must print the online application form and the confirmation Email. Sign the application form and mail the documents to the ACS. A physical copy of the application form and confirmation email is required by the ACS.

The ACS requires hard copies of the following documents to start the application process.

Please do not send original documents as the ACS is unable to return documents. Please translate all documents that are not in English Acceptable Translators.
1. Copy of the Application Form signed by the applicant
2. Copy of the Email Confirmation
3. Certified copy of birth certificate or passport
4. Certified copy of academic qualification certificates
 Title of award
 Name of awarding institution
 The year it was conferred
 Grade achieved
5. Certified copy of academic transcripts
6. Certified copies of detailed employment references
7. Payment of the application fee
8. 2 project reports if applying for Recognition of Prior Learning

Kindly look at this and advise. And I believe it will be helpful for others newbies also.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much rgogada and Anj1976 for your response, truly appreciate your help.
I know I am asking lot of basic questions here but those are stemming up from lot of reading I m doing on the various forums. First of I apologize if I m bugging people with my little knowledge. At same time I am thankful for your patience and time you guys are putting in helping people around here. I don't want to go through any agent and I have started this process last week only, hence I m asking so many questions.

rgogada you mentioned that Skill-assessment with RPL. If I am understanding correctly then skill-assessment is required by people who have ICT degree
From the guidelines -
3 - Skills Assessment
 This is a general skills application for applicants with an ICT Diploma Degree or higher and ICT skilled employment.
 The assessment result letter will report the applicant’s ICT Educational Qualifications and ICT Skilled Employment experience suitability to the nominated occupation ANZSCO code for Points Test and skilled migration purposes.

If my Electrical Engg degree is non-ICT degree then also do I need to go through Skill-assessment?

or ACS assessment is same right? I m going through this http://www.acs.org.au/public/ska/docs/PASAGuidelinesforApplicants_July 2011 v4.0.pdf and I find

So I have to download only RPL form and complete it and submit it from here - https://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=downloadforms

Kindly ignore this post, AS I WAS EDITING THIS POST, I passed the limit of 15 minutes given to edit any post, hence pasted the entire content in new post.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any suggestions on my this post rgogada/ Anj1976/ coolsnake

From the guidelines -
3 - Skills Assessment

My Question - If my Electrical Engg degree is non-ICT degree then also do I need to go through Skill-assessment?

As per PASA guidelines
6 – RPL Assessment – (Recognition of Prior Learning)
 This application is for applicants without an ICT educational qualification. It provides the opportunity to demonstrate that the applicant has acquired a level of knowledge equivalent to that of a formal tertiary ICT qualification.
 The assessment result letter will report the applicant’s ICT suitability to the nominated occupation ANZSCO code for Points Test and skilled migration purposes.

So considering I m non-ICT degree holder - I have to follow following steps -
There are two (2) categories applicable for RPL applications.
1. Applicants with a NON ICT degree qualification.
 Applicants require a minimum of six (6) years of full time professional ICT skilled
employment in a field closely related to the nominated occupation ANZSCO Code.
 Applicants are required to provide proven knowledge of skilled employment through
detailed documentation. (See Assessment of Skilled employment).
 Complete the ACS Key Areas of Knowledge document - Sections 2-4 of PASA (RPL)
 Complete two (2) project reports (contained within the ACS Key Areas of Knowledge document).

So initially I have to complete RPL from here - https://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=downloadforms

Then I have to make application as suggested below (from PASA Guidelines) -

3. MAKING AN APPLICATION
The applicant is required to complete all the information on the online Pre-Assessment Skills Assessment (PASA) application form found at - ACS Online Application Form

Please electronically attach certified copies of documents into the online application form for more efficient processing of your application.
After submitting the online application form, a confirmation Email with an application reference number and password will be sent to the applicants nominated email address.

Applicants must print the online application form and the confirmation Email. Sign the application form and mail the documents to the ACS. A physical copy of the application form and confirmation email is required by the ACS.

The ACS requires hard copies of the following documents to start the application process.

Please do not send original documents as the ACS is unable to return documents. Please translate all documents that are not in English Acceptable Translators.
1. Copy of the Application Form signed by the applicant
2. Copy of the Email Confirmation
3. Certified copy of birth certificate or passport
4. Certified copy of academic qualification certificates
 Title of award
 Name of awarding institution
 The year it was conferred
 Grade achieved
5. Certified copy of academic transcripts
6. Certified copies of detailed employment references
7. Payment of the application fee
8. 2 project reports if applying for Recognition of Prior Learning

Kindly look at this and advise. And I believe it will be helpful for others newbies also.
Any suggestions on my this post rgogada/ Anj1976/ coolsnake? Please advise.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Indian I can not comment on RPL as I did not take that route, as for asking silly questions or basic ones, mine were worst when I had joined the forum :).. everyone is a newbie, we all learnt with time, we are no experts, but are here just to share our experience :)

Wish you the best

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indian I can not comment on RPL as I did not take that route, as for asking silly questions or basic ones, mine were worst when I had joined the forum :).. everyone is a newbie, we all learnt with time, we are no experts, but are here just to share our experience :)

Wish you the best
Thanks Anj1976 for your humbleness. I appreciate you saying that. I hope coolsnake/ rgogada /I2wannafly/Rekha or others with RPL experience reply to my post.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I sent you a link of a thread by someone who just got assessed thru RPL route, did you contact him?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sent you a link of a thread by someone who just got assessed thru RPL route, did you contact him?
I guess I am good to satrt now. I contacted few people and got response and also found sample RPL on forum and from 1 person from the forum directly in email.

Thankful to all you guys here, I think it would have been really tough to start without help of any of you guys.

Just would like to mention I registered in one another forum, looked all members are so active there, but oh well that was such a useless forum, insated of replying with answer, they want to just reply with answers like have you already serached on forum, or google it or read immigration site. Well left the comment there, "I dont know how this (that) forum even exist..."

Really happy to found this forum, all over here are really helpful.

Since now I have jotted down the steps in my previous lengthy post, all I want is that people applying for 175 with RPL if can just go through that post and suggest me if I have missed anything there.

Otherwise I guess I can start working on RPL now.

Thanks Anj1976 again for asking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts