Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who says she lives in Kalibo, Aklan.
She is working in China as a hairdresser and may possibly visit me in the USA once it is approved by the Embassy which she told me was in a few weeks. We are looking forward to our time and to get to know one another.
Our plans could include moving to her hometown. I have not been the Philippines for many years and have never been to Kalibo.
It really looks beautiful and the beaches well are outstanding.

I have numerous question but will stick to a general one of how most like the lifestyle change compared to the bustle of American living? I am retired so dont have to work and deal with that side of life, just to enjoy what I have

Was possibly looking into renovating her parents home versus buying a new house for us.

Any thoughts that jump out let me know, as looking forward to inputs.

Enjoy and have fun

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, enjoy. I don't know the area you are interested in but it sounds great. For more interesting info I would get my teeth into reading as much input from other members on all forums to get a better idea of the pros and cons of living in the Philippines, at times it's not for the feint hearted and is definitely an acquired taste. Good luck and enjoy the reads.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
Renovating Parents Home

I have a friend who says she lives in Kalibo, Aklan.
She is working in China as a hairdresser and may possibly visit me in the USA once it is approved by the Embassy which she told me was in a few weeks. We are looking forward to our time and to get to know one another.
Our plans could include moving to her hometown. I have not been the Philippines for many years and have never been to Kalibo.
It really looks beautiful and the beaches well are outstanding.

I have numerous question but will stick to a general one of how most like the lifestyle change compared to the bustle of American living? I am retired so dont have to work and deal with that side of life, just to enjoy what I have

Was possibly looking into renovating her parents home versus buying a new house for us.

Enjoy and have fun
Hi Sparksraven and welcome to the forum. That's basically what we ended up doing, we renovated the parents Bamboo home into block and concrete and raised our adopted kids (brother and sisters babies) there, the parents passed away and so now we live here.

With that said it has caused some conflict with my wife's siblings. The other issue would be who else is living in the home because once you take over you'll have to feed that clan but if the opposite is the case I'd do it.

Wish you well and hope to hear more from you.

·
Registered
431 Posts
she is working in china as a hairdresser and may possibly visit me in the usa once it is approved by the embassy which she told me was in a few weeks.
entry of aliens who were present in china, excluding the special administrative regions of hong kong and macau, within 14 days prior to their arrival at the port of entry in the united states is suspended, per presidential proclamation. If you reside in china, have traveled to china recently, or intend to travel to china prior to your planned trip to the united states, we recommend you postpone your visa interview appointment until 14 days subsequent to your departure from china.
Apply for a U.S. Visa | Home - Philippines (English)

was possibly looking into renovating her parents home versus buying a new house for us.
is the house & lot titled, tax declaration, or denr salvage zone and in who's name? This scenario more often than not fails to work out. You'll likely be handing over your ATM card.

yes, obtain a cenomar as soon as possible before you make any big moves/investments in this relationship.
CENOMAR | Philippine Statistics Authority

https://www.psaserbilis.com.ph/default.aspx
imho

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
Another note on my situation or Parents home... for sure we are squatters and our half the back yard to the lake or Laguna de Bay is a Salvage Zone.

If you fall under this category then you'd want to watch how much you put into the home or it just might be better to purchase a Condo especially if you don't plan on marriage because you won't be able to apply when ever it opens up for an SRRV on a house and lot or if there's an issue with the fiances marriage, there's no divorce here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marriage

More then likely we will get married. Just depends on a few things. I/we will live in Florida for the next six months as I will be tying up loose ends here before that move could even become reality.

Unlike days of the old philipines my GF/Fiance is very smart and knows the plan for our future is not simple. Kalibo is more modernized then it is in Subic area as I have friends living there

Thanks for the input and advice and will be updating as this journey continues

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
More then likely we will get married. Just depends on a few things. I/we will live in Florida for the next six months as I will be tying up loose ends here before that move could even become reality.

Unlike days of the old philipines my GF/Fiance is very smart and knows the plan for our future is not simple. Kalibo is more modernized then it is in Subic area as I have friends living there

Thanks for the input and advice and will be updating as this journey continues
I think you need to slow down a lot, it doesn't sound like you have even met her in person yet and you are calling her gf/finance and married in six months. Even in normal times getting a girl into the US has a very low success rate. And by the way Kalibo Aklan is on Panay island no where near Subic.

·
Registered
671 Posts
hi sparksraven, welcome here to the forum

Listen to what Gard D said about her coming to the USA. It is almost impossible for a Filipino to come to the USA unless they are rich and hold a lot of ties to the Philippines. I have been through the process of getting a lady here. If you haven't met her in person then you can't even file a fiancee visa for her.

Don't get scammed by sending a lot of money to her. Take 'my word for it. She can't get approved to come here on her own. She would have to own a lot of land with a home on it in her name. the US embassy will not okay her travel to the USA without her having ties there to make sure she will come back to the Philippines.

Please check into this further. Make sure how she thinks she will get a visa.

Art

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Visa

She as in the tour company has applied for a tourist visa with her returning to China.
So thanks for the info and will watch for more developments.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
OMO but have you met this lady? Sounds like the budget is being sorted for you. (renovate the parents house)? The members here have been around the block a few times and given their input would take stock, many of the posts here and other sites are relevant to your situation and that's why I said with my welcome (#2) read, read more and read again.
I'm sure we all wish you luck but the red flags were flying with your introductory and your follow up posts. I'm not trying to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs but as she always told me "fools rush in where angels fear to tread".
Please ask more questions of this lovely lady and research, good luck.
A side note,,,,,, I thought the US stopped all incoming passengers from China, perhaps I read incorrectly.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The main thing I think of for building/renovating/buying property. Do not buy anything here that you are not willing to walk away from. That being said we built a small house on her uncle's land, so neither my wife nor I own it on paper. But it was under $10k so no worries. I can walk away from it if things fall apart.

Kalibo is pretty good. I lived for years in Iloilo, same island but Southern end of Panay, Kalibo is up North. It is pretty near Boracay, a world class tourist destination and one of the best beaches in the world. So, the beaches and water near Kalibo are pretty good. Much better than down in Iloilo. I know a couple of expats that live in Kalibo and they seem pretty cool. There are, of course, good & bad everywhere.

Take it slow, watch out for money requests - they do understand the word 'no'. Do not be afraid to use it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
An often heard advice is also to not live on the same island as her relatives.
A couple of islands away is best.

·
Registered
920 Posts
An often heard advice is also to not live on the same island as her relatives.
A couple of islands away is best.
Yes but I've found that for people who are supposedly without any means they're surprisingly mobile. lol

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey Sparksraven---steve is correct. All people from china has been stopped from entering the USA. President Trump stopped travel from China. You better check on her honesty. I hope you the best but I have been scammed before by a filipino lady. BEWARE!!!!

art

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
Yes but I've found that for people who are supposedly without any means they're surprisingly mobile. lol
Excellent point, I was surprised after friending many of the In-laws kids only to find they hit all the resorts, area's all over Luzon, Tagatay, Batangas parties all the time and yet when we see them they're acting dirt poor and never any money.

Hogrider is correct also and it does appear that living a couple islands away from the In-laws is very effective. The only In-laws that do fly, they have kids working as OFW's or one daughter is in Canada and when they visit they make a trip to Cebu so that also surprised me because after all the many times I've dished out for Restaurant so many I have lost count over nearly 3 decades, and nobody yet has bothered to treat us out to dinner even the OFW daughter and the another daughter who's now a school teacher with a Masters Degree who we helped get through college.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Excellent point, I was surprised after friending many of the In-laws kids only to find they hit all the resorts, area's all over Luzon, Tagatay, Batangas parties all the time and yet when we see them they're acting dirt poor and never any money.

Hogrider is correct also and it does appear that living a couple islands away from the In-laws is very effective. The only In-laws that do fly, they have kids working as OFW's or one daughter is in Canada and when they visit they make a trip to Cebu so that also surprised me because after all the many times I've dished out for Restaurant so many I have lost count over nearly 3 decades, and nobody yet has bothered to treat us out to dinner even the OFW daughter and the another daughter who's now a school teacher with a Masters Degree who we helped get through college.
You notice that too LOL

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have anyone tried go with them to restaurant and when it's time to pay say with serious face:
-??? I didn't brought any money. I thought you were paying, because it was you who invited me...

:heh:

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
Have anyone tried go with them to restaurant and when it's time to pay say with serious face:
-??? I didn't brought any money. I thought you were paying, because it was you who invited me...

:heh:
That never happens, they won't let it happen, her's an example: Sister In-laws daughter who we helped get through college and she marries a Canadian and immigrated to Canada came back a few years after and they needed to get some things in the city (I still had a car at this time) and so I offered to take them and after exiting the hardware store the Daughter In-law was starting a fuss about the husbands purchase of a plastic tube for the toilet and the Canadian husband when we had just exited the city was complaining that he was tired of the food they serve him like dried fish ect.. and he's hungry for McDonald's and I told him I can turn around and apparently that wasn't in the cards, he didn't' want to get into a fight with his wife I could tell by his facial expressions. :( So denied a burger meal and so I offered them a ride to the city and it turns out they were hungry bu they didn't want to cough up a little money for lunch.

So what happens next.... They join us when we get home, my wife offered because they were eating as we arrived so she offered to share, it was Chicken Afritada (chicken stew with tomato sauce) and the Canadian man said it's the best meal he's had since he arrived (two weeks in country) and that they feed him poorly to save money, I'm not rich, we are not wealthy people, my car was an extreme money drain and in bad shape.

This same Daughter In-law has been back several times over the years and her mother's house is next to ours but they won't stay here they travel to Cebu from Luzon on her fathers side and he's been dead several years (divorced parents) family.so they won't have to spend money on us or any of the poor family members they grew up around. :mad:

I've done all I can to show gratitude and support over the years, and I shouldn't want but I can't help see how thankless or cheap they've become, same with the other daughter In-law who now is a school teacher with a Masters degree and married to Philippine Seaman, they live in this same Municipality have a new car nice motorcycle home and they had twins and because the husband is out at sea and she's a school teacher like I mentioned and so wanted to leave her toddlers both 2 years old, boy and girl with us and pay us 3000 pesos per month LOL.... nice lady, I'm not that young anymore and neither is my wife but I said okay I will help out, she was having trouble finding a Yaya (live in baby sitter), good thing she didn't go through with it though, we've never been taken out to restaurant.

-Sorry it turned out into a mini rant but always expect this from me. :eek: Forgot to add that when family visits Cebu they also post photos of their huge gathering at McDonalds or a full spread at the resort oh but heck they couldn't break down and buy me a burger meal.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts