Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone.

Having finally received our Skilled independent visa :D, we have booked our tickets to leave the UK on the 5th December.

I wanted to know if anyone has gone through the decision of selling their property in the UK or keeping it and renting it out for a few years while deciding where to settle in Australia.

Currently we are thinking of renting our property out but I am worried about the level of trust you have to have in your letting agent to make sure they take care of your house and do the right thing when it comes to maintenance.

Any advise from anyone who has gone through the process would be appreciated. What did you have to consider and what decision did you come to?

Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
hello everyone.

Having finally received our Skilled independent visa :D, we have booked our tickets to leave the UK on the 5th December.

I wanted to know if anyone has gone through the decision of selling their property in the UK or keeping it and renting it out for a few years while deciding where to settle in Australia.

Currently we are thinking of renting our property out but I am worried about the level of trust you have to have in your letting agent to make sure they take care of your house and do the right thing when it comes to maintenance.

Any advise from anyone who has gone through the process would be appreciated. What did you have to consider and what decision did you come to?

Thanks.

Hi, yes we were in the same situtation as you. We have just rented our house out and are living in wih parents until we fly at the end of nov. I figured if we rented that we still have a property to come back to just incase. We will put it back on the market next year. You need o get a good tenant, and I think we have hopefully found one as she's been in a couple of months now. Where in Oz are you emigrating to? We are heading for Perth.
Good luck. Jan

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi hootanz,

We sold our home but we still have property in the UK.

We interviewed letting agents (over the phone in one case since we changed agents while in Australia) before deciding who to go with.

Since you are still there check through the local papers, see what the letting offices are like and talk to the staff. Find out the charges and go through the small print.

How much do they charge? That's both you and the tenants.
How often do they inspect the property?
What sort of tenants are they used to dealing with?
What sort of tenants do you want?
Who's going to look after the garden (if you have one)?
How much can they spend without you having to approve it? We have set limits that they can spend before contacting us since we're in such a different time zone.

Are you aware of the registration process for a non-resident landlord? (If you do a search I've written about this before).
Are they used to dealing with non-resident landlords?
If they are not registered with HMRC are they willing to do so?

Take one step at time...

We sold our home since we wanted money for Australia and we have no intention of living back in the UK. Yes we have houses there but that's for property investment only.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, Karen and Jan. A good little list to start with. I will certainly look at the info on non-resident landlords.

We only have one home in the UK but have a little saved to start renting in Sydney. We are looking at schools as well for our 2 kids and have to find a suitable area. Currently we are looking at Lane Cove which have some very good schools. We were very pleased to find that unlike the UK, once you are in their catchment area, they are ablidged to give you a place.
The problem with Lane Cove is the high cost of housing so we have also been looking at St. Ives just a few miles away.

Lots to do and so little time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hello everyone.

Thanks.
Hi

We are going on the 6th December and was in the same dilemma as you, but sold ours on monday. To be honest i feel relieved now, as i would be worried that it wasn't being looked after or if the tenants never paid the rent etc. If you do a search you will get your answers as i asked the same question a while back. Karen was very good, so have a look at what she says as it covers the pro's and con's of renting.

Best of luck ellisa.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts