Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We`ve been here in Sydney for almost a year now. We`ve been told that we have to do a sort of self tax return. Anyone shed any light on what is involved in the process?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi,

We`ve been here in Sydney for almost a year now. We`ve been told that we have to do a sort of self tax return. Anyone shed any light on what is involved in the process?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sounds like its just a regular tax return. The oz financial year goes from 1st July to 30th June. If you've been here a year already I guess you need to do your tax return from financial year 2010 - 2011. Check out ato.gov.au. Then go to lodge a tax return.
Check dates of when you should have done them by because there are penalties, especially if you owe the tax dept money. You can also use an accountant but that will cost you. It is a tax deduction though so could help if you have shares, overseas income etc. This all needs to be declared if you are a resident of Australia.

G

·
Everyone in Australia files a tax return every year. You can pick up guidance booklet in the post office or the ATO. Also look on the ATO website for information.
It might be best to pay an accountant to do it for you for the first year at least, you can get it fairly cheap. But I'm assuming if you didn't know you had to file a tax return you haven't been saving reciepts etc? In which case you wouldn't be able to claim a lot! If you fail to do your taxes you could have your family benefits stopped if you claim them.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Shel, what all receipts are or can be used? we too have to do it this year, we came in June last year and husband started work in August. He is an IT pro, i was told he can use his Phone bills, Internet Bills to his benefit. anything else?
I did inquire about an accountant's services, you can get it done for as low as 80 bux, stil to figure things out though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

We only landed end of June 2011 so we`ll be posting tax returns for this financial year.

We was slightly aware of having to do a tax return so have kept some receipts. Work related stuff and furniture we`ve bought.Also kept all the family day care receipts,we don`t qualify for any childcare benefits because were on a 457 visa.

What sort of stuff can we claim back on?

Anyone recommend any good/cheap tax accountanys near to the olympic park area?

Thanks in advance as always

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check out the ato website for what things you can claim. If you claim phone, Internet, you can only claim for the portion which is used for work. For example, if you use your Internet 20% of the time for work, then you could claim 20% of the cost. If you landed in June 2011 and if you were working for the month of June, then you need to lodge a tax return for that year. If you started after July 1st 2011, then you only need to do the tax return after 30th June of this year. You need to get a group certificate from your employer to do the tax return. This tells you how much you earns and how much tax you paid for the year. Most citizens don't do their tax return until around September.

Keep all receipts for, I think it's changed to 5 years. They can audit you until then.

G

·
Any study and work costs. Not normal work costs, like lunch or the normal journey to work but extra journeys for work, to meetings & to see clients etc. Any equipment & uniforms bought for work & study, phone for work purposes that work doesn't pay for already. Study things like books, computer stuff, equipment that you need to study.
Best pick up the booklet it explains it all. Accountants are everywhere, you'll find them on main streets near and in the shopping centres. You don't always get asked for reciepts but if you get asked for them & you haven't kept them :( and you don't know what you have spent 11 months ago if you don't have a record.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out the ato website for what things you can claim. If you claim phone, Internet, you can only claim for the portion which is used for work. For example, if you use your Internet 20% of the time for work, then you could claim 20% of the cost. If you landed in June 2011 and if you were working for the month of June, then you need to lodge a tax return for that year. If you started after July 1st 2011, then you only need to do the tax return after 30th June of this year. You need to get a group certificate from your employer to do the tax return. This tells you how much you earns and how much tax you paid for the year. Most citizens don't do their tax return until around September.

Keep all receipts for, I think it's changed to 5 years. They can audit you until then.
Thanks again for all your help. Will check out the website

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hey I just started work in may do I do one ? Can I also claim from clothes I've bought for work ? And things like a first aid course I had to pay for ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes everyone who gets paid Aussie dollars will need to lodge a tax return. You can't claim clothes unless they are a specific uniform, ie nurse, policeman, shop-specific uniforms (with logos)... These are just examples. I work in white collar, so I can't claim suits for example. If you have specific uniform, you can also claim for the dry cleaning. You can't claim the first aid course unless it is specific to your job.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for reply . Yes first aid was relevant to work . Ok so I've had a look on the web site from what I gather I just do it online . Seems silly as I'll only have worked one month .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mel,

We are from Glasgow and have been in Perth for 18 months now - last year my girlfriend only worked for a month before submitting her tax return and she got nearly $1,000 rebate back - which was a nice surprise for her !!! We paid $110 to a tax agent to do our return but he knew everything we could claim for - if you are in Perth I can give you his no as we were advised by Aussie workmates to get an agent to do it the first time - hope that helps !! TJ

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks ! I'm in Sydney ... I'll give it a go on line near the end of the month see how I go. I think I just need my pay slips . Thanks for the advice I'll defo give it a shot :)

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Mel,

We are from Glasgow and have been in Perth for 18 months now - last year my girlfriend only worked for a month before submitting her tax return and she got nearly $1,000 rebate back - which was a nice surprise for her !!! We paid $110 to a tax agent to do our return but he knew everything we could claim for - if you are in Perth I can give you his no as we were advised by Aussie workmates to get an agent to do it the first time - hope that helps !! TJ
Hi Teejay

Can you PM me your accountant's details please? I have to do my tax return this year for the first time and I could do without a headache - sure it's easy enough but since I've never done one, I'd rather not attempt it myself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mel,

At the end of Jun'12 your company should give you a declaration showing how much you have earned and how much tax you have paid - as far as I know this is a statutory document they have to give you - I would ask about it - you can then use this to fill in your tax return !!

Maz25,

I will PM you the details if I can figure out how to do it !! Lol His name is Mark and he is a really nice honest guy who charges $110 for his service and we will be giving him our business while we are here !! TJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.