Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping folks could weigh in with their experiences.

Option 1 - Self Pack: 20 cubic foot shipping container will be delivered to my apartment. We load it and then the container company picks it up and ships to our new apartment in Brisbane. Cost - $5500.

Option 2 - Moving Company: The moving company comes to the apartment, loads up the container, ships it to our new apartment in Brisbane. Cost - $6700.

My dilemma: We only have about 15 cubic feet worth of items. I'm concerned that if I opt for the "Self-Pack" option, things will shift around during the trip and will get damaged. What are peoples' experiences with the "self-pack" option? Did you have broken items when they got to Australia? Was it difficult to pack the container in such a way as to prevent shifting? Will the moving company do any better? Would I be paying $1200 more for peace of mind only?

Are there special tricks to packing a container, or am I over-thinking this / not giving my inner-mover enough credit?

Many thanks!
Jon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.