Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My accounting dates are different to the tax year dates. Accounts run from 9th May - 8th May, so my accounts for the tax year most recently ended (16/17) are from 9th May 2015 - 8th May 2016 (this might seem confusing to someone not used to self employment accounting, but I've been assured by various accountants over the years that this is the way it works. The end date for my accounts for tax year 16/17 is 8th May 2016 as this falls within the tax year 6 April 2016 - 5 April 2017).

Right, so I have accounts made up for 9th May 2015 - 8th May 2016, tax return for 16/17 for these dates, bank statements for both personal and business accounts for these exact dates, SA302 and SA300 for the 16/17 tax year again covering these dates and all other documents required. Like I say, from checking with my accountant this all seems correct, however I'm paranoid that the Visa service will expect everything from 6 April 2016 - 5th April 2017. Also they say they require bank statements from"the last full financial year". My actual last full financial year I have figures for was 9th May 2016 - 8th May 2017 - however I am not able to submit these figures to inland revenue until next April, so can't get SA302's etc til then.

Also in the below thread one of the reasons that the applicant got rejected was "Personal bank statements covering the financial year showing income paid in to the account (Your bank statements do not cover the last financial year i.e.April 2013 to April 2014) It is unclear whether you have filed your latest tax return for the financial year most recently ended". The application was made in October 2015, so surely they would expect April 2014 - April 2015 as bank statements, not a year previous??

wwwDOTexpatforumDOTcom/expats/britain-expat-forum-expats-living-uk/882898-documents-settlement-visa-f.html

(The system would not let me post links so please change the two DOTs in the above address to . if you wish to view)

If anyone with experience of different accounting dates to the tax year can advise it'd be most appreciated as this is tying me in knots and I don't want to submit documents covering the wrong dates!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm really panicking about this now.

Although it's apparently unusual I have always submitted my sole trader self-employed accounts for the period from 9th May - 8th May in the relevant tax year - a couple of accountants and several accounting websites have said this is fine. Also HMRC says this is correct in their guidance "How to Calculate Your Taxable Profits" (guidance note HS222).

In Appendix FM 1 7 Financial Requirements for FLR (M) however it says in section 9.3.1:
"For those self-employed as a sole trader, as a partner or in a franchise, the relevant
financial year(s) will be that covered by the self-assessment tax return and in the UK this runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year."

That to me reads like the Visa Office will only accept accounts from sole traders for 6 April - 5 April! So although I am earning £24k or so a year consistently I will never be able to have this accepted by the visa office as my accounting dates don't match up with what they want!

If anyone can advise I'd REALLY appreciate it, as have a horrible feeling we're going to get screwed over here with this...

Please? :fingerscrossed:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.