Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My husband and I are both self employed actors and we are finding this application very difficult.

We will be applying under Category B but we aren't sure whether we have to prove that we earned 18600 in the last 12 months or the last financial year? Could someone clarify this for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shae

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Cat B is for employed income. For self-employment you must use Cat F or G. For either, it's the last financial year (or two) you have to use, depending on when your books are made up. The evidential requirement for self-employment is very extensive, and unless your business is well established with a proper account, preferably with the help of an accountant, it's difficult to meet all the requirements. That's why many people try to meet the financial requirement in some other ways, like employment or savings route. For the latter, you need £62,500 (without non-EEA dependent children) held in your bank account for 6 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry yes, Category F is what I meant! I've been reading so much about this I got confused.

If I'm applying under Category F, using both my salaried and self employed income as well as my husband's, my understanding is that I need to provide a tax declaration for the last financial year for the both of us, as well as a statement of account - could you clarify, what exactly this is? Then bank statements to prove we have been paid that amount into our bank accounts.

As we are two actors - our names are our business and we are considered to be sole traders in the profession of "entertainment". Neither of us have separate bank accounts for our acting work (I don't know anyone that does)... does this sound ok to you or would you still recommend getting an accountant to have a look at it?

Follow up question - what we are paid weekly, we are taxed on, so it is our gross income. However, from the amount, we must pay commission to our agents and then the net sum is what is deposited into our accounts. Will I need to write a letter explaining this and showing the commission statements to our agents?

Thank you for your help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.