Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has already been asked but I cannot find anything relating to our situation although a lot of other posts have already answered quite a number of my queries.

My husband is an EU national and we are currently living in South Africa, he is self employed and we are considering expanding the business to the UK which would result in myself and 2 children (4 & 12) relocating with him, I understand that we need to apply for family permits prior to leaving SA and then EEA2 once we are there but I still have a few questions that I can't find the answers to no matter how many sites I visit:

• Are there any restrictions to my children entering the education system?
  • If our FP is going to expire but our RC applications have been submitted do I need to extend the FP (like a visa) or does the fact that our RC applications have been submitted entitle us with leave to remain until a decision is reached.
  • Should we register the business prior to our application along with bank accounts etc? or can we do this once we arrive?
  • What are the implications on us in terms of the FP's if he needs to travel between the UK and SA on business initially?
  • Since the business is currently South African would the South African financial suffice in terms of proof of us being financially stable or should the business rather be in operation already in the UK before we apply for the FP?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, I'm finding this all rather overwhelming at the moment but this is a start at least and as I said this site has helped SO MUCH already!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
My apologies if this has already been asked but I cannot find anything relating to our situation although a lot of other posts have already answered quite a number of my queries.

My husband is an EU national and we are currently living in South Africa, he is self employed and we are considering expanding the business to the UK which would result in myself and 2 children (4 & 12) relocating with him, I understand that we need to apply for family permits prior to leaving SA and then EEA2 once we are there but I still have a few questions that I can't find the answers to no matter how many sites I visit:

• Are there any restrictions to my children entering the education system?

• No, once residence cards have been issued.

[*]If our FP is going to expire but our RC applications have been submitted do I need to extend the FP (like a visa) or does the fact that our RC applications have been submitted entitle us with leave to remain until a decision is reached.
    EEA family permit isn't like a visa and doesn't confer any extra right over what you already have as family member of an EEA citizen under EU law. You can safely remain in UK, but unless you get a certificate of application with the right to work stated, you will have little documentary evidence of being able to work or live in UK.

[*]Should we register the business prior to our application along with bank accounts etc? or can we do this once we arrive?
    Do it after arrival. He probably can't do so without established UK address.

[*]What are the implications on us in terms of the FP's if he needs to travel between the UK and SA on business initially?
    Nothing really, provided he is only absent temporarily but his home is in UK.

[*]Since the business is currently South African would the South African financial suffice in terms of proof of us being financially stable or should the business rather be in operation already in the UK before we apply for the FP?
You don't have to show any financial details for family permit application. You will for residence cards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, once residence cards have been issued.
Thanks for the prompt response :D I feel like I can breathe a little easier already, on your response above does that mean that I can't register the children into school on an FP? I'm not sure any of us would survive with 2 kids out of school until the residence cards have been issued, especially if they take 6 months + :eek:

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Well, the school will probably require evidence you are here long-term. and EEA family permit is only for 6 months. But if you get certificate of application, usually after a few weeks, that will usually be acceptable as alternative.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.