Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi.

It seems to me that holiday makers looking for self catering apartments in the Canaries /snip, prefer apartments in complexes with swimming pools, bars, etc. rather than apartments in apartment blocks. What reasons do you think there are for this? Maybe it is because complexes are deemed easier to find on arrival to the island? What are you thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Most here are without pools and not in complexes, so are the casas rurales, However the tourists that we get are more adventurous, and hardly any from the British Isles, most arrive under their own steam, not using package tour operators, very often returning year after year.

When it comes to Holidays the vast majority of Brits, take the easy road and just book a package, very often all inclusive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it comes down to the fact that most holidaymakers want to step straight from the apartment into the pool or bar without having to go very far. There is also, I think, a bit of reticence amongst holidaymakers that they might have to interact with the locals if they are in an apartment block as opposed to a complex. We have holidayed extensively in the Canaries and have taken local apartments, fincas etc and have found it to be a great experience in terms of sampling local life and customs etc .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it comes down to the fact that most holidaymakers want to step straight from the apartment into the pool or bar without having to go very far. There is also, I think, a bit of reticence amongst holidaymakers that they might have to interact with the locals if they are in an apartment block as opposed to a complex. We have holidayed extensively in the Canaries and have taken local apartments, fincas etc and have found it to be a great experience in terms of sampling local life and customs etc .
I didn't consider the idea that they may not want to interact with the locals and I suppose a non complex apartment may involve a bit of that. I agree that having a pool and bar/restaurant in the complex would be attractive to most people as probably would any security offered by such complexes.

Bob.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I didn't consider the idea that they may not want to interact with the locals and I suppose a non complex apartment may involve a bit of that. I agree that having a pool and bar/restaurant in the complex would be attractive to most people as probably would any security offered by such complexes.

Bob.
Plus if they are working in any stress related occupations, they may not want any hassle, and just require to wind down for a fortnight in the sun. We have a Parador that is perfect for the stressed out tourist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts