Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am an expat currently living and working in Joburg South Africa and thinking of moving to France with the purpose of obtaining permanent residence (carte de sejour) through parentage. My mother remarried a french citizen when i was 18 years old (let me just mention that i am the first born from her first marriage), had a lovely child with the stepdad. 2 years down the line she along with my younger full siblings obtained french nationality as a result of the union except for me, at that time i did not pay much attention and headed to south africa for my college studies as i wanted to do tertiary in an anglophone based-system. Now with the recession and everything, i would like to start afresh in france (have been there on holiday quite a few times). Is there any way i can claim residence through parentage, i heard of somehting called "regroupement familiale"....if anyone would shed some light i'd be very happy.

Merci d'avance

Novick

·
Administrator
51,383 Posts
The official word on "regroupement familiale" is here: Regroupement familial en France des ressortissants étrangers - Service-public.fr - complete with a number of links to ministerial websites that may be able to tell you a bit more. (All in French.)

You may find you are going to have a problem because your link with France is through a step-father rather than your father. The fact of being legally an adult (i.e. over 18) and not considered part of the family when the rest of the family took French nationality may put you out of the running - but it pays to at least ask the question.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Bev,

Thanks a lot for this valuable info, i shall have a look and see the possibilities available.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.