Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Does anyone know a good general contractor or architect in France (Paris preferably, but anywhere really) who speaks fluent English (and French)? We are looking to buy property in Bourgogne, but would like to consult with a professional in our native language before potentially biting off more than we can chew. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
50,467 Posts
You may find that it's a better idea to work with an architect or contractor in the area where you are considering buying. The local folks will probably have a better understanding of the local building codes and regulations. As far as English speaking is concerned, good luck. You could just try calling around - or even asking at the local mairie.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Strongly agree with Bev.

Outside Paris there is quite a strong "anti Parisien" feeling. You don't want to upset your new neighbours, the Marie, other tradesmen you might use, by not using a local professional.

Why English speaking ?????- if you are planning to live in France then you must start French sooner or later? The vocabulary of building/purchase may be technical, but it is not difficult...a good dictionary and google translate will help you!

Years ago when I arrived in rural Normandie I drove a UK reg car for some months. I asked my neighbours if there was any antagonism towards UK cars on the local roads. (big tractors, narrow lanes etc). "No problem" they said, but just don't drive a French 75 reg car!

DejW

You may find that it's a better idea to work with an architect or contractor in the area where you are considering buying. The local folks will probably have a better understanding of the local building codes and regulations. As far as English speaking is concerned, good luck. You could just try calling around - or even asking at the local mairie.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, should have been more clear. No problem eventually working with local folks in French. The purpose of this question is to find out if there is someone we can speak with easily about this type of thing. We would of course work with local tradesmen. We just need someone to talk with informally at this point who knows what they are talking about as a professional.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts