Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
Has anyone bought a Seat, if so any pros and cons please,thanks
We had a SEAT Ibiza which we retired this year and have bought a Kio Rio to replace it. The Ibiza wasn't a patch on the Opel Corsa we had before that. I didn't like it particularly, OH thought it was OK. The passenger window motor broke twice and we got a new second hand part from a scrapyard, but it was still expensive to replace. In fact it broke again and we didn't replace it as it was coming to the end of its life. Others had the same problem

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I think like most cars it depends on which make of Seat and which year, the new Ibiza get good reviews but one from a few years ago gets poor reviews.
If you want to buy new then I can't see much bad about them, second hand is another story.

Personally I would buy Japanese but again it would still depend on make, model and budget.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Yes Seat is basically VW. Some times Seat cars don't get the latest engines etc but eventually the same items end up in all the VW group of cars.

I think VW now has 15 brands. You'll see differences in equipment and prices. The cheaper brands won't have the same luxury materials that the more expensive brands will.

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
I don't think it makes any difference who owns who. They don't use the same parts, machinary, manufacturing methods or anything from one brand to the next. They simply change the name on the stationary!
If they changed the name of the car and said that SEAT is now VW, then that would be different.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Eh? You're not saying Seat is doing all it's own R&D etc?

If they did it would be strange that the engines and transmissions have the same specs and results. The same MPG and emssions.

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
Eh? You're not saying Seat is doing all it's own R&D etc?

If they did it would be strange that the engines and transmissions have the same specs and results. The same MPG and emssions.
No, you're right, I'm not saying that!
I'm saying that there are clear differences between different makes and the quality of the materials and engineering used, and if we're talking about Seat vs VW SEAT's towards the bottom and VW towards the top.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the basic parts (floor pan, engines etc are in fact the same. I remember hearing that the Golf floor pan is found in something like 22 models across the VW range and that was some time ago. Body style, trim parts and internal furnishing obviously differ and there is probably a time-lag with innovations.

(stationary PW?;) I love it when English teachers do that...)

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the basic parts (floor pan, engines etc are in fact the same. I remember hearing that the Golf floor pan is found in something like 22 models across the VW range and that was some time ago. Body style, trim parts and internal furnishing obviously differ and there is probably a time-lag with innovations.

(stationary PW?;) I love it when English teachers do that...)
You always notice my errors! And why not indeed.
I'm sure some of the stuff is the same in all cars, but they do differ as I myself have found out.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm saying that there are clear differences between different makes and the quality of the materials and engineering used...
Strange, considering the same 1.4 petrol engine is used in the Seat Ibiza, VW Polo, Skoda Fabia and Audi A1.

Reactions: pnwheels

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I'm saying that there are clear differences between different makes and the quality of the materials and engineering used, and if we're talking about Seat vs VW SEAT's towards the bottom and VW towards the top.
I agree on the materials . Also the latest engines etc go first into VW and Audi. But the whole point of platform cars is to share all the engineering.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Seat Ibiza diesel bought new 5 + years ago - 80,000 km on the clock and no trouble whatsoever. Diesel engine a little noisy but an excellent work horse and getting c. 50 mpg. I personally think build quality is better than the new model. Just fitted 2nd new set of front tyres so a bit heavy on these and have replaced rear ones although plenty of tread left (from new) sidewalls were looking a little perished. Lower dashboard slightly perished/warped in the sun so aircon button sticks. Understand diesel injector(s) can play up if only used for short journeys. Recommend.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mine is a Seat Ibiza, from 2000, still going pretty well, no problems at all in those 13 years, still doing long distance trips with it. I should start looking for another one now but I will never find a car like this one, I hope it lasts a few more years before I buy a new one!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Many group manufacturers have a system whereby engines are given a grade even if they appear to be identical. For example: going back to the old BMC days when a block is bored out with new bits the cylinders are slightly larger than when tthe bit is wearing down and on the other hand when pistons are turned, those cut with new bits are slightly smaller than those cut with old bits. Smaller bore and larger piston means the engine is tighter (grade A), larger bores with smaller pistons means the engine is looser (grade C), those with average bores and pistons are grade B. Grade A engines would go in the more sporty models Riley, Wolseley, MG etc.; the average engines (grade B) would go in Morris and Austin variants, and the slacker engines (grade C) would go in vans.

I have no doubt that the same sort of thing applies now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I bought a seat Ibiza FR eight years ago new. It has done 250,000kms and has been reliable and the only money that has been spent on it is for routine things like servicing, brakes etc. It has been fantastic and I would recommend them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts