Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,

I recently received 190 Visa grant and looking to make validation trip by early Feb 2018. I have some questions regarding job search and I reckon you guys can help me out.

1) I hear getting interview calls from offshore is very tough. I have heard pepole taking a local number/VoIP and forward calls to offshore number to make recruiters believe that you are in AU. I would like to understand that how well it will go with them when they know you are not in Australia etc..what are the other ways to get calls if you are giving your home country number ..Any tips ?

2) I hear that its not good idea to mention about permanent residence in CV/cover letter , as it implies that you are not in Australia and its an attempt to get calls from offshore..is this true?

3) If i am looking to do serious job searching after landing in Australia may be next year..is it a good idea to float the resume now in seek etc..just wanted to understand that if you do that now they might familar with your profile that you are offshore applicant and it might hurt you when you land and do job search as they are too familar with profile etc....

4) my 190 is from NSW and have no friends there. What are the chances if you are looking for jobs in NSW from Melbourne as I have friend there..

Just wanted some valuable views from people who have been thorugh this process etc...I am confused as hell as what to do next ...your suggestions would go long way...many thanks....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like to know answer of all this questions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
1. Its not tough. Only if you can join in 2 - 4 weeks time try this option else of no use. Skill set and demand plays vital role.

2. Dont think it will make huge difference

3. Start job search only when you are ready to move immediately or in Australia NOT before.

4. You can if you are ready to spend $200+ for each travel. But this option is not advised.

·
Registered
882 Posts
hello,

giving you my honest answers in bold

I recently received 190 Visa grant and looking to make validation trip by early Feb 2018. I have some questions regarding job search and I reckon you guys can help me out.

1) I hear getting interview calls from offshore is very tough. I have heard pepole taking a local number/VoIP and forward calls to offshore number to make recruiters believe that you are in AU. I would like to understand that how well it will go with them when they know you are not in Australia etc..what are the other ways to get calls if you are giving your home country number ..Any tips ?

i landed few weeks ago as prior to that ive job interviews scheduled. so it is not difficult to receive interviews if you are willing to fly down. yes, get a local number, activate auto roaming and voice mail. so the recruit / hr will leave voice messages so ull call them back.

i gave both home country and aussie number but bear in mind that this doesnt work all the time. most people think that by giving them an aussie number, they will fooled into believe that ur based in australia but the cat gets out of the bag when u tell them u can go for interview in a few days time .
if they r bent on binning ur resume they will do it even if u give a local number.

2) I hear that its not good idea to mention about permanent residence in CV/cover letter , as it implies that you are not in Australia and its an attempt to get calls from offshore..is this true?

no, dont believe in that. stating u r permanent residence meant u have full working rights and is able to stay in the country indefinitely. if u don put that then what will u put ? how will the recruiter know that u are eligible to work in australia

3) If i am looking to do serious job searching after landing in Australia may be next year..is it a good idea to float the resume now in seek etc..just wanted to understand that if you do that now they might familar with your profile that you are offshore applicant and it might hurt you when you land and do job search as they are too familar with profile etc....

no it wont hurt. ive been on seek even before ive gotten then grant and had calls from recruiters.

4) my 190 is from NSW and have no friends there. What are the chances if you are looking for jobs in NSW from Melbourne as I have friend there..

ive zero friends australia , im sorely dependent on myself . notwithstanding that i havent gotten a job but management to go for 2 onshore interviews and 1 offfshore via video conference

Just wanted some valuable views from people who have been thorugh this process etc...I am confused as hell as what to do next ...your suggestions would go long way...many thanks....[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hello,

giving you my honest answers in bold

i landed few weeks ago as prior to that ive job interviews scheduled. so it is not difficult to receive interviews if you are willing to fly down. yes, get a local number, activate auto roaming and voice mail. so the recruit / hr will leave voice messages so ull call them back.

i gave both home country and aussie number but bear in mind that this doesnt work all the time. most people think that by giving them an aussie number, they will fooled into believe that ur based in australia but the cat gets out of the bag when u tell them u can go for interview in a few days time .
if they r bent on binning ur resume they will do it even if u give a local number.

no, dont believe in that. stating u r permanent residence meant u have full working rights and is able to stay in the country indefinitely. if u don put that then what will u put ? how will the recruiter know that u are eligible to work in australia

no it wont hurt. ive been on seek even before ive gotten then grant and had calls from recruiters.

ive zero friends australia , im sorely dependent on myself . notwithstanding that i havent gotten a job but management to go for 2 onshore interviews and 1 offfshore via video conference

Just wanted some valuable views from people who have been thorugh this process etc...I am confused as hell as what to do next ...your suggestions would go long way...many thanks....
[/QUOTE]Thanks commie_rick for suggestions...is there a way to get a number from offshore..did u get someone in there to get a number for you..? Is there any specific providers u used..i know you can get a loval voip number nd all..

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
HI All,

Hello There,

Cross posting my own Original Post from the Following Thread for quick reference:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/life-australia/1301146-confused-h-ll-should-i-make-move-not-7.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitgoel10 View Post
And what one of my friends did on his first visit was:
1) Buy a Local Sim from Lebara or Amaysim or Optus or any other
2) Activate it locally and put on your resume
3) Activate Voice Mail so that you can receive voice mails once you are back in India
4) Enquire about International Roaming on that +61 number - if feasible - activate roaming for incoming calls from recruiters.

5) When the Recruiter will leave a message on that number's voice mail, you can call him back from your +91 number and tell him that you are traveling to India temporary to wrap up some pending home/family/parents matters and will be back shortly to join immediately.

I think the International Call Price is much better than the Expense Meter of AUD 100 per day while living there

I am planning to do this rest the Almighty will decide.

Hi There,

Nice Suggestions....Sure it's like some safety belt

But I have got some quick Questions for you. It's nice to activate roaming and come back to India. Eventually if a recruiter calls you back for an interview or makes a Job offer and you "pretend" that you came back to India for some "Personal Work", How will you manage the Notice Period with your Current Employer and prospective Employer in Australia? Even if you "manage" the Notice Period with both Parties, How will you show your present proof of residence if the prospective Employer in Australia asks ? You may say I Live with some of my Friends in some XYZ Residence etc..... But again this is risky. Actually they would for sure ask the reference of your Previous Employer before they roll out an Offer to you. They will obviously Enquire your previous reporting Authority about you like Joining and relieving Dates, Roles or responsibilities, Designation etc... So How will you manage the Relieving date ? where you would still be "working" at your Current Employer's Office

regards,
Raj

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thanks commie_rick for suggestions...is there a way to get a number from offshore..did u get someone in there to get a number for you..? Is there any specific providers u used..i know you can get a loval voip number nd all..

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure . I bought a voda SIM card from Australia . Didn’t use voip

·
Registered
249 Posts
1. Getting a job from outside Australia is indeed very difficult. I have yet to meet someone who has successfully landed a job without being here without going through personal connections. Personally, I think the time before arriving in Australia is probably best spent otherwise. You can prepare for jobs and interviews by brushing up on your skills, working on your CV and cover letter, investigating the job market (carefully following job advertisements and scouring for skills or key words), work on speaking English as well as possible. This last point... I'm amazed at how many people underestimate the importance of speaking English well; it is essential in the way you present yourself. Grammar mistakes, a heavy accent - this kind of stuff can seriously work against you.

2. This is a neutral point. I don't think that mentioning it implies that you are outside Australia any more than not mentioning it implies you don't have the right to work here.

3. I don't think it's a good idea.

4. Being able to attend an interview at a whim is important. In fact, you should highlight that you are immediately available as it gives you a better chance. (Most permanently employed locals have a 4 week notice period and being available sooner is a plus.) You can certainly look for jobs from Melbs as long as you have some plan for attending interviews. If you have interviews on different days (e.g. one Monday and one on Thursday), the logistics can become complicated. I don't understand why you would come to MEL if you intend to become situated in NSW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts