Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
First of all I would like to 'out' myself as a forum newbie and would like to apologise in advance ifor any offence, confusion or annoyance I engender in old hands.
Here's the question - I am a spanophile (my own word!) and have, over some years, travelled the length (not breadth) of the peninsular looking for a place that felt like 'me'. Well every trip has obviously only been a snapshot of that area at that time and I was wondering if anyone on the site may be able to give me some idea of areas that might be my cup of tea - (or glass of chilled Sauvignon)
I am a bit of a hippy type but I do need a really comfortable life style. I am old but love the company of the young and absolutely love the sea and all water based activities.

If I say the things I am not a fan of that might help:
Kiss me quick, Watneys red Barrel type of places
Golf communities (the ethos and lifestyle not the vistas)
Summer massive, winter dead type of places - for e.g. I love the look of the Andalucian white towns, but are they dormant out of season?

I just came back from Nerja, Torrox and Mojacar and want to come over later this month to look around some more. I intend to rent for a while before I decide...... Money is not a major problem. Oh and I am on my own.

All help gratefully received.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might like the Cádiz bay area.
I was in the area a while ago - I adore Tarifa but am not a big fan of constant wind(!) I had the best fish ever in Barbate and absolutely love Conil but thought it was a sleeper town in winter..... I only got into Cadiz one afternoon and therefore had a very small snapshot - so, please could you tell me what you feel Cadiz has to offer one such as me?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The problem with coastal towns is that most of them have the ebb and flow of tourists, which you wish to avoid.

That would leave the larger residential cities....such as Cadiz itself, or Valencia, or Barcelona.

I would have said Tarifa what with the "hippy" thing, but you say that's not for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was in the area a while ago - I adore Tarifa but am not a big fan of constant wind(!) I had the best fish ever in Barbate and absolutely love Conil but thought it was a sleeper town in winter..... I only got into Cadiz one afternoon and therefore had a very small snapshot - so, please could you tell me what you feel Cadiz has to offer one such as me?

Yes that´s the thing, it does get windy round here sometimes with the levante. It´s not all the time though and Cadiz is not as windy as Tarifa. As you´ve seen, the seafood is great and prices are generally cheaper than the costa del sol in general.

Cadiz doesn´t get sleepy really in Winter, although the smaller towns like where I live in El Puerto do get quieter, but not dead by any means. The beaches are packed in July/August but the rest of the year there are many many beaches you can have almost to yourself.

There are few Brits here, and few people speak English, good if you want to experience "real" Spain.

Advantages. Jerez airport is near, a nice city in its own right. Sevilla 1hr away. Plenty of nice places in the sierra to visit. The towns are safe. Food is cheaper than Costas.

Downside. (general) Cadiz is noisy (people), (renting is more expensive in cadiz)poorly educated population, windy at times,
small towns become very quiet. Very high unemployment. Loads of dog**** and motos.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that´s the thing, it does get windy round here sometimes with the levante. It´s not all the time though and Cadiz is not as windy as Tarifa. As you´ve seen, the seafood is great and prices are generally cheaper than the costa del sol in general.

Cadiz doesn´t get sleepy really in Winter, although the smaller towns like where I live in El Puerto do get quieter, but not dead by any means. The beaches are packed in July/August but the rest of the year there are many many beaches you can have almost to yourself.

There are few Brits here, and few people speak English, good if you want to experience "real" Spain.

Advantages. Jerez airport is near, a nice city in its own right. Sevilla 1hr away. Plenty of nice places in the sierra to visit. The towns are safe. Food is cheaper than Costas.

Downside. (general) Cadiz is noisy (people), (renting is more expensive in cadiz)poorly educated population, windy at times,
small towns become very quiet. Very high unemployment. Loads of dog**** and motos.
Hmmmm you do a good sales job Spanky......
Spanish chavs, keening wind, stinky dog doo and high pitched whiney motos - well I just must rush! sorry, for the sarcasm btw and thanx for the full picture!

Disclaimer - large pinch of salt to be taken here by local forumites cos I'm sure the area is actually wonderful.....
I do love the beaches, the wild water (always so much more exciting to swim in than the med) and the general vibe, but possibly my faltering Spanish and the fact that I would be on my own precludes this area from being number one in my search.
Back to thread, I wondered about the area around Nerja/Torrox/Frigiliana - does anyone have any views on this? does it 'die' in the winter, is there a community that does not rely on golf as the raison d'etre?
Thanx in advance for any and all opinions.......

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Spanish chavs, keening wind, stinky dog doo and high pitched whiney motos - well I just must rush! sorry, for the sarcasm btw and thanx for the full picture!

Disclaimer - large pinch of salt to be taken here by local forumites cos I'm sure the area is actually wonderful.....
I do love the beaches, the wild water (always so much more exciting to swim in than the med) and the general vibe, but possibly my faltering Spanish and the fact that I would be on my own precludes this area from being number one in my search.
Back to thread, I wondered about the area around
Nerja/Torrox/Frigiliana - does anyone have any views on this? does it 'die' in the winter, is there a community that does not rely on golf as the raison d'etre?
Chica is your girl for this one Marinera .... Im sure she will respond to this one soon :D

·
Registered
65 Posts

Back to thread, I wondered about the area around Nerja/Torrox/Frigiliana - does anyone have any views on this? does it 'die' in the winter, is there a community that does not rely on golf as the raison d'etre?
I can see a few conflicts in your "wish list". If I understand correctly, you want to be away from the touristy/golf ghettos and the cheesier side of Spain. But if you don't speak Spanish then you will find it difficult to settle anywhere that ISNT full of foreigners.

The places you are listing as "possibles" are without a doubt very touristy and you will have the ebb and flow. I've visited Frigiliana and Nerja and really they are about as touristy as it gets, Benidorm and Torremolinos aside. I felt quite suffocated by the amount of tourists when I was there.

I can't think of anywhere at the moment that would fulfill all you requirements (if I have understood them correctly), ie...year round population, near the beach, at least some level of sophistication, not many tourists but with a British community.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I can see a few conflicts in your "wish list". If I understand correctly, you want to be away from the touristy/golf ghettos and the cheesier side of Spain. But if you don't speak Spanish then you will find it difficult to settle anywhere that ISNT full of foreigners.

The places you are listing as "possibles" are without a doubt very touristy and you will have the ebb and flow. I've visited Frigiliana and Nerja and really they are about as touristy as it gets, Benidorm and Torremolinos aside. I felt quite suffocated by the amount of tourists when I was there.

I can't think of anywhere at the moment that would fulfill all you requirements (if I have understood them correctly), ie...
year round population, near the beach, at least some level of sophistication, not many tourists but with a British community.
Estepona! I love it (not sure about the hippy feel part though :D) but it ticks most of the other boxes ...

sue :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I can't think of anywhere at the moment that would fulfill all you requirements (if I have understood them correctly), ie...year round population, near the beach, at least some level of sophistication, not many tourists but with a British community.
Hi Liberty
Yes you have a really clear picture of my ideal place........ and I do so not want to be squashed like that - my idea of the worst nightmare in the world is Oxford Street in the run up to Christmas - I love the human race but only in smaller doses!
Re the ebb and flow, I am only concerned about the ebb! .... I forgot to mention that I will probably only be in Spain for the winter months, whether it be in a rental or, later, (if I find it) in my own property that I could try to rent out in the high season. I do love late spring and summer in Hampshire!
Any further info gratefully received!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Estepona! I love it (not sure about the hippy feel part though :D) but it ticks most of the other boxes ...

sue :)
Thanks for the interest - I have only ever travelled through Estepona - does it have a village heart? and a bit of a community? .eeeerr isn't it terribly golf oriented? I sortov missed it on my way to Gib, cos I was the driver!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks for the interest - I have only ever travelled through Estepona - does it have a village heart? and a bit of a community? .eeeerr isn't it terribly golf oriented? I sortov missed it on my way to Gib, cos I was the driver!
Hi - its a town rather than a village, but it does have a lovely "old town" in the centre. Not golf orientated - its just happens to be a relatively easy drive to a couple of courses....but its certainly not a golf resort. Thing is there is Estepona and Estepona! Estepona town where I live and then places like Cancelada etc that fall in the municipality of Estepona.

Half an hour from Gib and 40 mins from Tarifa .... I work with a guy who is a keen windsurfer, lives in Estepona but goes to Tarifa every weekend ....

Its suits us :) but may or may not be what you are looking for.

Sue :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi - its a town rather than a village, but it does have a lovely "old town" in the centre. Not golf orientated - its just happens to be a relatively easy drive to a couple of courses....but its certainly not a golf resort. Thing is there is Estepona and Estepona! Estepona town where I live and then places like Cancelada etc that fall in the municipality of Estepona.

Half an hour from Gib and 40 mins from Tarifa .... I work with a guy who is a keen windsurfer, lives in Estepona but goes to Tarifa every weekend ....

Its suits us :) but may or may not be what you are looking for.

Sue :)
Thanks for your input Sue - I will be coming across within the next three weeks and it seems to me I should call in to Estepona rather than whizz past this time!
Whilst I still want to explore East of Malaga, it does make sense to me to be within driving distance of Tarifa, but as mentioned I do not think I could live with the wind all the time.... send you crackers!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
When you visited Torrox and Nerja I assume it was in the summer period? Torrox-Costa is like a ghost town the the winter but in the pueblo there are people there all the time as that is where the spanish generally live and quite a nice pueblo too if you don't mind walking up steep inclines:eek:. Nerja too is quite lively in the winter, again, as you know, it is hilly but for fiestas eg New Years Eve etc, that is the place to be. Avoid Torrox-Costa if you want it lively....lol!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you visited Torrox and Nerja I assume it was in the summer period? Torrox-Costa is like a ghost town the the winter but in the pueblo there are people there all the time as that is where the spanish generally live and quite a nice pueblo too if you don't mind walking up steep inclines:eek:. Nerja too is quite lively in the winter, again, as you know, it is hilly but for fiestas eg New Years Eve etc, that is the place to be. Avoid Torrox-Costa if you want it lively....lol!!
Yes I was in Torrox-Costa in July and tbh it felt a bit empty then! I was also in Torrox-Pueblo but got a bit put off cos I couldn't find the way to the car park at the top of the town, and the new one at the bottom is horrendously expensive. Also, they have dug up a lot of the centre haven't they? (or maybe it is now mañana, and back in siitu......)
Oh and I was driving a Citroen C4 Picasa automatic which does not have a handbrake.......... - honestly!
I really LOVED Nerja especially the Calle de la Carabeo (which I found by accident) - can I ask what sort of lively is it in the winter? Are there any groups (art/choir/book/just fun...) that a solo could get involved in?
All info very gratefully received......

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes I was in Torrox-Costa in July and tbh it felt a bit empty then! I was also in Torrox-Pueblo but got a bit put off cos I couldn't find the way to the car park at the top of the town, and the new one at the bottom is horrendously expensive. Also, they have dug up a lot of the centre haven't they? (or maybe it is now mañana, and back in siitu......)
Oh and I was driving a Citroen C4 Picasa automatic which does not have a handbrake.......... - honestly!
I really LOVED Nerja especially the Calle de la Carabeo (which I found by accident) - can I ask what sort of lively is it in the winter? Are there any groups (art/choir/book/just fun...) that a solo could get involved in?
All info very gratefully received......
Hehehe...you should have been on Torrox-Costa in August,,,a whole month with nowhere to park!! Many spaniards have holiday homes here so they come for the whole month!!! The same a everywhere on the coast I suppose?! I haven't been up to the pueblo for about a year now mainly because of the parking...it's horrendous isn't it! So they have reopened the parking down the bottim and charging for it now...it wasn't so bad when it was open before and free but it was closed for a long time leaving only one at the top,,,puff...puff!!
As for Nerja, although I worked there for a while I walked the same route everyday and only visit when we have visitors. I am sure there would be clubs etc that you could join. I went to salsa lessons a few years ago and that was thru' the winter. I think it's seen as quite an arty town with loads of nationalities that settle there. I know there is a group that participate in boules thru' the winter although they actualy come out to Torrox-Costa for that. There is someone that pops on here from time to time who organizes walking groups or on a one to one basis. If I can think of anything else I will add it.

chica

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I noticed the old hippy reference Marinera....I hope you're not planning on inflicting Syd Barrett era Floyd or the miseries of Leonard Cohen on mainland Spain? :D
I'm a sometime Glasto and regular @ the IOW Festy and absolutely LOVE FLOYD but never got Cohen...... too doleful for me. Grateful Dead - well I still fancy Gerry even though he has shuffled off..........
I would love to have gone to Benicassim this year but didn't have anyone to go with. tbh most people I know are into line dancing and bridge.... so I don't fit in much :D

How do I rate on the hiippy stakes?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.