Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are planning a move to Sydney in January but we're having trouble figuring out the insurance piece of our move. As we will not be eligible for Medicare, we're looking into Overseas Insurance for the two of us (my husband will have a 457 visa). Following a kidney transplant, my husband has to take daily medication. Will an Extras cover pay benefits for this medications? Are the benefits available as soon as we start the cover or would the 12 month waiting period apply?
Is there a source for medication in Australia if the waiting period applies. He absolutely has to take the medication so this is a big piece of our move. Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would contact some insurance companies directly and ask them.

I think that you will be limited to the companies that will insure you anyway on that visa. If you do a search on the forum I know that the discussion of insurance companies and visas has come up before and that may help you.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dolly.
We've looked into most plans and it looks like none of them cover pre-existing conditions for 12 months so we're still trying to figure out how to get coverage for my husband's prescriptions.

I appreciate the reply though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts