Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im a fully qualified plumber and gas engineer with various gas safe qualifications looking to go out to australia, lived in gold coast for a year many years ago and have a lot of friends out that neck of the woods.

I'm aware unfortunately i have to retrain across there to gain the necessary qualifications to enable me to work in my trade there.

I'm just wondering about which visa to apply for , is 457 the best bet for myself?

many thanks

chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its seems i need to be sponsored by an employer to use the 457 visa?? what other options are there? id be so grateful for advice as no one I've spoke to so far has helped me further forward

G

·
You need to look on the skillselect DIAC site. It explains all the visa types, which are just about to change in july.

Do you have qualifications or did you complete an aprenticship?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for replying, I did an apprenticeship and have got various has tickets

Is the new regs in July making it harder to get in?

G

·
It should be easier but the process is different. They are changing it similar to the NZ system. Where you fill in forms & send your skills assessment to express an interest. They will then invite you to apply for a visa based on the skills list, your points and their processing priorities. If they invite you, you then apply for the visa which should be quicker given they'll have already assesed your skills and eligibility from your expression of interest.

Not sure what quals you have to do in Aus but it wouldn't be the whole thing, just enough to get a licence to work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brilliant ! Honest thanks for the help. Basically my apprenticeship time
Ends in September . So I'm not sure if it's best to hold on untill then to apply

G

·
If you haven't finished you wouldn't pass a skills assessment yet. Sept is not that far off, I'll post some links later to the new system & the requirements. You google the TRA for the skills assessment & AQF (australian qualifications framework) to find out what the equivilant qualification is in australia that you might need to complete once out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok many thanks, basically I'm hoping i should be ok, no criminal records etc current gas safe qualifications. 5 years experience

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.