Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a Scotiabank/Inverlat (Mexico) card, you probably need to go into a branch,
where they will give you a replacement card with a chip, on the spot. The old
cards become invalid May 21, 2012.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you have a Scotiabank/Inverlat (Mexico) card, you probably need to go into a branch,
where they will give you a replacement card with a chip, on the spot. The old
cards become invalid May 21, 2012.
Probably a silly question, but just for reassurance:

I don't have a Mexican Scotiabank account, but use my Canadian Scotiabank chip ATM card for all my cash requirements while in Mexico...mainly because they don't charge for cash withdrawals anywhere in the world, (other than the 2.5 % currency conversion charge that all banks seem to charge), and because Scotiabank has branches all over Mexico.
I assume my card is not included in the changes you have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Why is this site the only place where I heard this information. Shouldn't all Scotiabank clients received an email or some notification regarding this. How did you hear about this?

·
Super Moderator
8,964 Posts
Probably a silly question, but just for reassurance:

I don't have a Mexican Scotiabank account, but use my Canadian Scotiabank chip ATM card for all my cash requirements while in Mexico...mainly because they don't charge for cash withdrawals anywhere in the world, (other than the 2.5 % currency conversion charge that all banks seem to charge), . . .
I have a Bank of America account and can withdraw money here from any Santander or Scotiabank ATM. I've never been charged a 2.5% currency conversion charge.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Scotia Bank in Mexico is not truly affiliated with Scotia Bank in Canada. Here, Scotia Bank is part of the Carribean Scotia Bank. That is why those of us with accounts in Canada cannot go in to a branch Scotia Bank here and deposit or withdraw money.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a Bank of America account and can withdraw money here from any Santander or Scotiabank ATM. I've never been charged a 2.5% currency conversion charge.
I get money from a local Scotiabank with my American bank card all the time and have never been charged a conversion charge either, although there is a 21 point something peso charge no matter how much or little you withdraw.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The currency conversion charge is not listed on your account, but is hidden in the conversion rate. Check your rate that you get at the ATM to a conversion rate found on many Internet sites.

·
Super Moderator
8,964 Posts
I get money from a local Scotiabank with my American bank card all the time and have never been charged a conversion charge either, although there is a 21 point something peso charge no matter how much or little you withdraw.
With the arrangement I have, there are no charges at all!

·
Super Moderator
8,964 Posts
The currency conversion charge is not listed on your account, but is hidden in the conversion rate. Check your rate that you get at the ATM to a conversion rate found on many Internet sites.
Whenever I check the conversion rate I get from BOA, I find that it is always a very favorable one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scotiabank/Invlt. cards expire May 21

The Scotiabank/Inverlat branches have signs up (near the entrance or ATM machine) warning that
the old cards will become invalid May 21, 2012. Clients must go to the branch to have their cards
replaced by new cards with a chip.

The bank has also been sending automated phone calls to clients about this.

International banks tend to be limited in how much they can help out of country clients of
affiliated banks. IE: Scotiabank (Canada) VISA payments were accepted at Scotiabank/Inverlat
(Mexico). (I'm not sure whether that's still the case.) Apart from that, they were more or less
separate entities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.