Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Lately, I've been watching the job offers available in Melbourne/Sydney and Auckland/New Zealand and I've noticed that the jobs related to my position which is Network Engineer have easier requirements in Auckland. However, on the flip side, Auckland has fewer job offers than Melbourne/Sydney. So it feels like, even though Auckland has fewer jobs it'll be easier to land a job offer there.

Nevertheless, every time I see a discussion about anyone deciding between AUS/NZ they say that there is a reason why most people leave New Zealand for Australia than the other way around. So, I'd like to know why this is the case. I mean, it sounds like NZ is a good place and other than lower salaries but lower cost of living than AUS I can't see other reasons why.

I'd like to ask you guys some advice on this argument of AUS/NZ regarding landing a job there, especially for an oversea recent graduate who doesn't have much experience (2+ years). Should I go where there are more job offers (AUS), or should I go where they're easier to get (NZ)? :confused2:

I'd appreciate if you guys could elaborate on this matter. It means a lot to me.

Thank you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been in both. I had an easier time finding a job in Auckland. The problem with Auckland is that it is BORING, even for myself who doesn't like to go out at night. At 6 PM there's no one on the street, coffee shops closed, international shows rarely happen, public transport is bad compared to sydney, less variety of jobs to choose from, colder and rainier weather, etc. Another problem with auckland is that it doesn't have NZ identity. 60% of the population is Asian in the CBD, the buildings also seem dull and boring but the parks are nice.

The really good thing about NZ is natural beauty. You can drive 1 hour, or take a 1 hour plane, and be in beautiful places you've never dreamed of. Internet is also a little bit better than in Sydney and I find the city more peaceful in general (cops not carrying guns, drunk people are less aggressive, etc). I've also been around the country and the small towns seem to be the perfect place for retirement. The people are amazingly nice and there's a good sense of community but I can't compare to small towns in Australia, I haven't moved from Sydney.

I think which one you would prefer depends on your personality. If you are really extroverted, like party, go out, enjoy city activities, etc you have a much bigger variety to choose from in Sydney and Melbourne. If you work in hospitality and like mountains and stuff, Wanaka or Queesntown in New Zealand win hands down, if you like beaches, Australia has more variety. Australia has higher salaries and you can also save more despite the living cost being higher, Australia's economy is also stronger, but you'll be fine in any.

Reactions: ArchV

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been in both. I had an easier time finding a job in Auckland. The problem with Auckland is that it is BORING, even for myself who doesn't like to go out at night. At 6 PM there's no one on the street, coffee shops closed, international shows rarely happen, public transport is bad compared to sydney, less variety of jobs to choose from, colder and rainier weather, etc. Another problem with auckland is that it doesn't have NZ identity. 60% of the population is Asian in the CBD, the buildings also seem dull and boring but the parks are nice.

The really good thing about NZ is natural beauty. You can drive 1 hour, or take a 1 hour plane, and be in beautiful places you've never dreamed of. Internet is also a little bit better than in Sydney and I find the city more peaceful in general (cops not carrying guns, drunk people are less aggressive, etc). I've also been around the country and the small towns seem to be the perfect place for retirement. The people are amazingly nice and there's a good sense of community but I can't compare to small towns in Australia, I haven't moved from Sydney.

I think which one you would prefer depends on your personality. If you are really extroverted, like party, go out, enjoy city activities, etc you have a much bigger variety to choose from in Sydney and Melbourne. If you work in hospitality and like mountains and stuff, Wanaka or Queesntown in New Zealand win hands down, if you like beaches, Australia has more variety. Australia has higher salaries and you can also save more despite the living cost being higher, Australia's economy is also stronger, but you'll be fine in any.
Thanks a lot Maezel, I guess now I understand why most people rather go to AUS than NZ. So, I'll stick with my original plan which is AUS. However, now that I know that landing a job in AUS isn't as easy as I thought then I'd better get more qualifications/certifications in my area in order to be successful there. I'll save more money and make sure that I've got enough for staying 8 months at least in Melbourne/Sydney.

Once again, thanks! I'm glad we've got nice people like you in this forum.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi Archv,

My friend is from Norway and he is living about 5 years in Melbourne. He is planning to move back to Norway because there are no jobs here! He has 2 casual jobs so that he can pay his invoices! His wife is now pregnant and he would not be able to feet his own family in Australia!!! So be careful to make the move which can dramatically change your life!

If you really like to move than look at other countries in Europe which have a stronger economy than Australia such as Germany, UK and so on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Archv, My friend is from Norway and he is living about 5 years in Melbourne. He is planning to move back to Norway because there are no jobs here! He has 2 casual jobs so that he can pay his invoices! His wife is now pregnant and he would not be able to feet his own family in Australia!!! So be careful to make the move which can dramatically change your life! If you really like to move than look at other countries in Europe which have a stronger economy than Australia such as Germany, UK and so on. Good luck!
Yes but the problem is these European countries don't give you a permanent resident visa. It's near to impossible. Plus English is not widely spoken in any European country except UK. Need to be fluent in the local language such as German, French etc. Getting UK PR now is impossible. They have made the working rules very strict for even students who pass out of their universities let alone thinking of migration. Plus few jobs in UK as well. Australia is a good country because it's calling people. It is at least giving a chance to people to settle there. Other countries want you to study, work as long as you have a job and then get lost once any of these are over with. It will not even give you a chance to wait in their country to try and look for another job in case you lose your existing one since the visa won't allow you to do so. I have nothing against any country, it's just my personal view.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks depende and redington. I'lll certainly plan this move way more careful now. Clearly the situation isn't as simply/easy to settle as I thought.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts