Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: I have not landed in Australia yet and I am still looking for a job. But I am doing some thorough research on finding job as a migrant. So I decided to share my experiences and findings with you.

Everyday I will post 1 or more tips. Please let me know if I misunderstood anything or going to the wrong direction. Hope all of you will participate. For newcomers: read all the tips one by one, do not miss anything.

Tip 1: Knowing the Present Job Market
I have seen many people (specially newcomers) in the forum ask about the present job situation (in their field) in Australia. Nobody in the forum (including the people who have the similar skill-set) can answer that question. Besides job market situation change every now and then.

So the easy way to know about the job market is:

(1) Go to Seek.com : Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitement site.

(2) Search with your skill set. Be very specific about the key words. Consider only your latest (last 3~5 years) experience. (eg. C#, System Administrator, Life Science, Human Resource Manager, Mining)

(3) Now you will see plenty of job advertisements listed on the seek page. But to be truthful, despite the keyword match, not all of these jobs will be suitable for you. So carefully check all the requirements / criteria described in the job description. Then you will find how limited your option becomes. Trust me, no recruiters will call you, if your cover letter (and resume) does not match more than 80~90%.

(4) So, now you know the market situation. Keep searching, at least once a day. And start doing that from the day you apply for the visa. After following the job market for 1 month, you will have a clear idea on your standing in Australia's job market.

(5) Now it is time to make a syllabus. Based on your findings, you already know that, you cannot apply for some of the jobs only because you do not fulfil some minor criteria. So start studying about them (if possible with some hands on experience at your current work place).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upcoming daily feeds:

Tip 2: Love ExpatForum; Be an Active Forumer: How to get the best from this resourceful forum. Get and give back.
Tip 3: Make LinkedIn your Facebook: How to use the LinkedIn as a powerful networking and learning tool.
Tip 4: Make a Cover Letter that stands out: How important it is to write a great Cover Letter.
Tip 5: Make a Resume that stands out: How important it is to write a great Resume.
Tip 6: Interview Experience: I will write my experience on a skype interview that I have participated few days back.
Tip 7: Mindset of Australian Recruiters / Employers: Based on my Internet research

·
Registered
535 Posts
Disclaimer: I have not landed in Australia yet and I am still looking for a job. But I am doing some thorough research on finding job as a migrant. So I decided to share my experiences and findings with you.

Everyday I will post 1 or more tips. Please let me know if I misunderstood anything or going to the wrong direction. Hope all of you will participate. For newcomers: read all the tips one by one, do not miss anything.

Tip 1: Knowing the Present Job Market
I have seen many people (specially newcomers) in the forum ask about the present job situation (in their field) in Australia. Nobody in the forum (including the people who have the similar skill-set) can answer that question. Besides job market situation change every now and then.

So the easy way to know about the job market is:

(1) Go to Seek.com : Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitement site.

(2) Search with your skill set. Be very specific about the key words. Consider only your latest (last 3~5 years) experience. (eg. C#, System Administrator, Life Science, Human Resource Manager, Mining)

(3) Now you will see plenty of job advertisements listed on the seek page. But to be truthful, despite the keyword match, not all of these jobs will be suitable for you. So carefully check all the requirements / criteria described in the job description. Then you will find how limited your option becomes. Trust me, no recruiters will call you, if your cover letter (and resume) does not match more than 80~90%.

(4) So, now you know the market situation. Keep searching, at least once a day. And start doing that from the day you apply for the visa. After following the job market for 1 month, you will have a clear idea on your standing in Australia's job market.

(5) Now it is time to make a syllabus. Based on your findings, you already know that, you cannot apply for some of the jobs only because you do not fulfil some minor criteria. So start studying about them (if possible with some hands on experience at your current work place).

Hi Tirupoty,

While your advice is partially correct, if one was go to by Seek.com and other such portals, most of the 'skilled' migrants would have got multiple jobs within the first few months of arrival, which is apparently not the case. People are struggling to find even one job. Hope you understand what I mean. I wish if the job market could be assessed positively though job portals some day.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hello kettlerope,
Thank you so much for your insight. And you are 100% correct. The job listings in the job sites never represent the actual scenario and it is very difficult for us to know the actual situation.

However, I wrote this tip only for those who are confused about the current market trend. If they follow Seek for a month, they can make a map of the usual skill-criteria in their field.

Besides I also believe, SEEK does have a good credibility and that is how it became the no. 1 job site in Australia. Based on my communication with some Australian friends / ex-colleagues, all of them have suggested me to keep checking in Seek.com.

To me, getting a job depends on many factors. You have to be in the right place at the right time with right preparation and right direction.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello kettlerope,
Thank you so much for your insight. And you are 100% correct. The job listings in the job sites never represent the actual scenario and it is very difficult for us to know the actual situation.

However, I wrote this tip only for those who are confused about the current market trend. If they follow Seek for a month, they can make a map of the usual skill-criteria in their field.

Besides I also believe, SEEK does have a good credibility and that is how it became the no. 1 job site in Australia. Based on my communication with some Australian friends / ex-colleagues, all of them have suggested me to keep checking in Seek.com.

To me, getting a job depends on many factors. You have to be in the right place at the right time with right preparation and right direction.
I read somewhere that 80% of the jobs are never advertised.
They may be filled through references/ internal postings/ referrals/ etc
But this is not a deterrent for us to stop applying on portals.
We need to make the most of what's available..
Apart from Seek, which is the most popular, I find Careerone also to be good, not sure about the ranking.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apart from Seek, which is the most popular, I find Careerone also to be good, not sure about the ranking.
You are right. I have also heard somewhere that 80% jobs are not advertised. And that is why networking is the key. But for new migrants, it is not that easy. Besides, recruiters never contact us promptly as we do not have any local experience. That is why job portals are major source of information for our situation.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tip 2: Love ExpatForum; Be an Active Forumer

Scoring a Job as Migrant: Daily Tips

Thank God, we have such a wonderful forum. Here are the tips on how to get the best out of this forum:

1. Use the advanced search feature: Do it as much as you can. You can get many important information and experiences of senior migrants. Our seniors have been so generous to share their experience in this forum. All we have to do is search them with proper keyword (eg. resume, cover letter, job, interview) and read them carefully.

I have summarised some old forum posts which seems to cover many aspects of job search in Australia. Please check the attachment. Do not miss anything.​

2. Subscribe to ALL the Relevant Threads: Never forget to subscribe to all the important threads so that you do not miss any thing. This will let you know the present situation from the field. Learn from other people's experience and get a head start in your job search.

3. Read Different Views: There are many different views in the forum: positive, negative and neutral. Get your lesson from all of them. The positive and optimistic views will give you the energy to fight for a good job. On the other hand the pragmatic opinions will help you to understand the reality and take better preparation.

4. Give Back: This wonderful forum has been built on the basis of mutual respect and attitude to help others. So whenever you can, give back what you have got. Share your experience and help others to find solutions to their problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts

Thank God, we have such a wonderful forum. Here are the tips on how to get the best out of this forum:

1. Use the advanced search feature: Do it as much as you can. You can get many important information and experiences of senior migrants. Our seniors have been so generous to share their experience in this forum. All we have to do is search them with proper keyword (eg. resume, cover letter, job, interview) and read them carefully.

I have summarised some old forum posts which seems to cover many aspects of job search in Australia. Please check the attachment. Do not miss anything.

2. Subscribe to ALL the Relevant Threads: Never forget to subscribe to all the important threads so that you do not miss any thing. This will let you know the present situation from the field. Learn from other people's experience and get a head start in your job search.

3. Read Different Views: There are many different views in the forum: positive, negative and neutral. Get your lesson from all of them. The positive and optimistic views will give you the energy to fight for a good job. On the other hand the pragmatic opinions will help you to understand the reality and take better preparation.

4. Give Back: This wonderful forum has been built on the basis of mutual respect and attitude to help others. So whenever you can, give back what you have got. Share your experience and help others to find solutions to their problem.
Subscribed

Reactions: tirupoti

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tip 3: Make LinkedIn your Facebook

Tip 3: Make LinkedIn your Facebook

LinkedIn is one of the most important tools for networking and job hunting specially for new comers. Here's why:

>> Most of the recruitments are done on the basis of who you know, not what you know. So networking is very important.
>> You will find all the recruitment agents in LinkedIn. You can send them message and request them to take a look at your profile.
>> It is an amazing tool for branding yourself. Make a good profile and enhance your online presence in a positive way.
>> Many jobs are advertised via LinkedIn. Unlike seek.com most of them are posted directly by the employers (not the recruiters).
>> You may add people from your professional area. Interact with them, get some suggestions, follow their activities. If possible submit your resume to them for any possible interview opportunity via employee referral.
>> You may join some groups where people talk about job hunting, interviews and other job search related stuffs.

Here's the Check list for building a wonderful LinkedIn Profile:

>> Make a custom URL with your name
>> Choose an effective headline (You may write your PR and Job-seeking status)
>> Upload a good professional (formal) photo. Make sure you are looking your best.
>> Must write a good summary (with bullet points, less text, specific and highlighting only most recent experience) with your (1) Key Achievements (if possible with numbers) (2) Key Skills. Remember most of the people will only read the summary to make the first impression.
>> Make sure people can easily see your email address, phone no, skype ID, PR Status, Relocation date, job-seeking intention from your profile
>> Write in detail about all your job experiences, projects, publications, awards. Use multimedia wherever you can: relevant pictures, slides, videos.
>> Collect good recommendations for all jobs from your former colleagues and project leaders. Endorsement of skills also look good on the profile
>> Write some articles on your area of expertise and share with others. You may also share other people's writings. Whatever you share, keep in mind that it has to be professional and create a positive impression on you.
>> There are many websites/articles that advise on how to make good LinkedIn profile: read as much as you can and take lessons. In addition to that, take inspiration from the good profiles of other people in your field.

Most Imporantly

Everyday use LinkedIn like facebook. Enhance your network. Interact with others: send messages, like their activities, ask questions in groups, share good contents and keep polishing the profile.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not only 80% of the jobs are never advertised, but also a huge portion of skilled positions posted on sites, such sa SEEK, are already pre-filled and the ads are up there just because of bureaucracy. Finding skilled employment in Australia is getting increasingly more difficult. That is not to discourage anyone - always hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

Reactions: tirupoti

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys for the inspiration. I will keep posting and I promise to keep sharing information here after I start a job if the response is good.

Please feel free to share and rate this thread. Also hit like so that I can get a feedback and energy to keep going. Most importantly, ask any questions and correct me if I get anything wrong.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great Work! keep it going, we are all with you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Tip 4: Make a Cover Letter that Stands out

Tip 4: Make a Cover Letter that Stands out

I will just cut to the chase, if you do not have a compelling cover-letter, no one will ever going to take a look at your resume. Trust Me.

What is Cover letter ?
>> It is the elevator pitch: a clear, concise and relevant summary of your skill and experience.
>> It should tell the recruiter/employer
(1) Why you are the best fit for this particular position / company
(2) Why they should take a look at your resume and
(3) Why they should move forward with an interview with you.​
>> It is a way to mention about other important factors that may matter to the employer (Visa status, Relocation date, Current location, Contact detail, any other vital information).
>> It emphasises your high-interest for the job and the company.

Cover Letter: Make it the Best
>> Fit it within one page, with plenty of white space (to increase readability), no spelling mistake, plain / clean format. Must do a proof-read with another person (friends, spouse, siblings) before submitting.

For example, I did the proof-reading with one of my British acquaintances and paid him $20 for that. As the cover letter changes with job description, I put all the possible formats / wordings in one big word document and had it proof-read by him.​

>> Each point in the job description should be covered with bullet points, in the same order they are listed in the advertisement. May be they will just take quick glance, so better put more key words. I took an example from the Internet:

If the job description says "Min 5 years in a Management Account Role and industry experience" your letter should state (for example) "For the last 10 years of my career, 7 have been in a management accountant role in major multinational corporations in the hospitality / hotel industry including Marriott and Hilton."

>> In cover letter, give importance to your recent achievements (that are relevant) or any positive change that you have made, rather than your job responsibilities. Best will be if you put some quantifiable results:

If the job description says "High level of business English writing skills" your letter should state (for example) "Designed and delivered over 150 presentations to students, co-workers, and superiors. Authored more than 60 Individual Service Plans and 180+ monthly job development-tracking reports.; do not just use those boring buzzwords like, I have strong communication skill in English

>> In most of the cases, in initial phase your cover letter (+ resume) will be screened by non-technical person (recruiters, HR personnel). So be careful about the keywords; they may just reject your application without understanding the content fully.

For example: if the job description says they are looking for someone with multi-core / multi-task programming experience, do not write that you have experienced with multi-threading; instead write multi-core / multi-task even though they are basically the same thing.​

>> Last but not the least, as I have said before do a lot of Internet research, be a good forumer and participate in LinkedIn groups for information and insights.There are plenty of examples available in the Internet. I have just attached one sample

HIT LIKE IN ALL THE POSTS, RATE THE THREAD, FEEL FREE TO SHARE AND DISCUSS.​

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
My best tip is:

BELIEVE THAT SOMETHING GOOD WILL HAPPEN TO YOU. NO ONE CAN STOP THAT !!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My best tip is:

BELIEVE THAT SOMETHING GOOD WILL HAPPEN TO YOU. NO ONE CAN STOP THAT !!

Hello Ozfreak, thanks. .. of course that's the best tip. As we haveworked so hard for PR and want to live the Australian dream... 'always staying positive and trying our best' are the most important tip of all.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.