Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Yes.

BUT, I'm not sure if you need a Spanish licence. The reason I say this is that Spain has special dispensation to allow this without the categories actually appearing on your licence. I'm not sure if that dispensation extends to people with a UK licence.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Yes.

BUT, I'm not sure if you need a Spanish licence. The reason I say this is that Spain has special dispensation to allow this without the categories actually appearing on your licence. I'm not sure if that dispensation extends to people with a UK licence.
:D

This is why I said "in principle" !

But in Spain, drivers with more than 3 years of "B" licence can ride without any further admin or application for A1 category, so given that the UK licence is an EU licence with the same categories, there "should" be no problem.

Try explaining that to the Guardia Civil though!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Not sure I understand your question... power is measured in kiloWatts (kW). The bike you can ride is limited to 11kW (approx 15 bhp).

I wouldn't worry about it though, the manufacturers know that this is the law and cap the power outputs so that the bikes are legal in the country they are sold.

You only need to be careful if you buy a second hand bike that might have been produced before the law was introduced. Some of the 125cc bikes from the 1990s for example produce nearly twice that power so would be illegal for you to ride.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I understand your question... power is measured in kiloWatts (kW). The bike you can ride is limited to 11kW (approx 15 bhp).

I wouldn't worry about it though, the manufacturers know that this is the law and cap the power outputs so that the bikes are legal in the country they are sold.

You only need to be careful if you buy a second hand bike that might have been produced before the law was introduced. Some of the 125cc bikes from the 1990s for example produce nearly twice that power so would be illegal for you to ride.
I ask as I didn't know what 11k meant,I understand motorcycles/mopeds in ccs.
I have been considering new 50cc moped or motorcycle and would want to carry a passenger which may I'm wondering affect the legal requirements.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes.

Thank you,I'm thinking I should ask guardia civil next time I'm in Spain for a definitive view if that's possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.