Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I don't think it is so much a reflection of Spanish society as much as it is of a global one.
What I mean is these numbers are repeated all over the world whether they are a modern westernised nation or not. The U.S is the main example normally of these polls but it would be unfair to single them out, it's just that most of the reading you will come across is from there.

No doubt religion has and does play a part but thankfully these days it can no longer be used as an excuse.
I think it is more likely a reflection of long term misplacement of our priorities, lack of education standards and a loss of the importance of knowledge.
I think we need to make education important again, not just a basic right as that has lead to complacency in the west.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but the US also suffers from the church's intervention in education. Many schools there teach creationism and take evolutionary biology off the syllabus.

It would be interesting to have comparative data for countries with a purely secular education system.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Is there such a thing as a purely secular country when education is concerned?
The French perhaps?

It's by know means a broad pool but out of all places Australia is a pretty young country that certainly separates church from state pretty well and is not bogged down by historical religious teaching methods yet we get the same sort of thing.

Aussies confused by science fact or fiction: survey - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
But in their case is it not a case of deliberate befuddlement by those who know better but want to create a false idea to enable them to do what an enlightened population would prevent, for example mining on the Barrier Reef and other mining and fracking etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts