Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im moving to Benidorm with the children soon and am having real trouble finding state schools, i have been told that they are great my children are aged 11,10, 7 and 2..
If you have any details of schools please could you let me know asap... thank you.

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
So, why did you come without checking them out before you came?
The people who told you that they were great - could they not tell you where they were?

Vernon, comes on here occasionally and he has children at school in the Benidorm area. I'll ask him to jump in.

I have had friends with children there that have loved it and others that hated it - had to go back to Norway - probably the same as anywhere else in the world.

Good Luck

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
If you google "schools in Benidorm" it should give you a comprehensive list. As in the UK it depends where you live as to which schools you'll be allocated

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
So, why did you come without checking them out before you came?
The people who told you that they were great - could they not tell you where they were?
Vernon, comes on here occasionally and he has children at school in the Benidorm area. I'll ask him to jump in.

I have had friends with children there that have loved it and others that hated it - had to go back to Norway - probably the same as anywhere else in the world.

Good Luck
It might be that she meant people had told her that state schools were great, on rereading her post????

To the OP - a few of us on here have children at state schools - have a good look through the threads on education to see lots of opinions. Don't know about Benidorm though, sorry!:eek:

Tallulah.:)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
schools are a very objective issue tho, what some may consider good, others may not, one class may be good and another in the same school may not!!???

Spanish schools in general tend to be more strict than UK schools and give out more homework!! (not good if you have to help your kids and cant speak Spanish lol) The language thing obviously can be a problem and generally they'll put your kids in the year below what the should be to give them the benefit of picking it up, they should also provide extra spanish lessons afterschool????!!!

Oh, and you have to buy all the school books and stationary from a list you'll be given and that isnt particularly cheap!

Jo xxx

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Jojo, not to forget that if it's a Spanish state school in Benidorm they will have to learn TWO languages ab initio (and one is not Latin!!)

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Jojo - 4000 posts. Congratulations! Thanks for all the work you put in here - I for one appreciate it. So, does XTreme, don't you Donkey? .....even if you, like Taliban, are "slightly" over his 30 year young threshold.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Jojo - 4000 posts. Congratulations! Thanks for all the work you put in here - I for one appreciate it. So, does XTreme, don't you Donkey? .....even if you, like Taliban, are "slightly" over his 30 year young threshold.

Thank you Steve!! I obviously need to get out more and get a life LOL. As for "slightly" over 30???? I've decided to go backwards with birthdays now, this getting old lark isnt for me!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
When my daughter was at state school the worst thing I found when helping with her homework (even harder than translating) was the maths - they have different symbols, workings out and everything!

Jo xxxx

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Indeed, don't get me started on how they do long division? I thought women were complicated until a Spanish teacher explained to me how to divide back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Steve.... I havent moved out yet, but trying to sort the schools out before I move.

Im going to be going out to spain to look for schools soon, just hoped that someone could recommend a good school and which are not so good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jojo, ive tried google to find schools and its not very clear ive only found one that is private so I have my friend going to the town hall to find out more information for me thank you..

When my daughter was at state school the worst thing I found when helping with her homework (even harder than translating) was the maths - they have different symbols, workings out and everything!

Jo xxxx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.