Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Will be in a place called Langara in Vancouver in April. I know this is very Asian area. Does anyone know if this affects schooling i.e. obviously the Asian community need more English/learning, will this affect learning our children??? as the schools will be teaching for the majority? Also is the education sytem behind the UK one, I hear science and Technology are not so good in primary schools??? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Don't know about that specific area in Vancouver, or primary schools. But in High Schools and Universities I would not mind at all if a serious percentage of the class is Asian, as here in our region these people get the highest grades and lots of them get into the best universities/most competitive programs.
Their pronounciation of English (if they are 1ste generation newcomers) isn't always that great, but their comprehension of the language is often beyond that of native speakers.
(based on my experience in the high schools/universities we have visited for our own son, and the high school where I am working)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about that specific area in Vancouver, or primary schools. But in High Schools and Universities I would not mind at all if a serious percentage of the class is Asian, as here in our region these people get the highest grades and lots of them get into the best universities/most competitive programs.
Their pronounciation of English (if they are 1ste generation newcomers) isn't always that great, but their comprehension of the language is often beyond that of native speakers.
(based on my experience in the high schools/universities we have visited for our own son, and the high school where I am working)
Thank you very much for your input, it worried me as we are going in blind as it were. If you have Twitter or FB would you mind becoming friends as I am without friends at the moment and finding all this a bit daunting?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If you have questions, I can read them here. I prefer to use Facebook to connect with people that I already met in real life. And I am living in Ontario, far far away from Vancouver.

There's 1 thing that could be an issue when the school has an Asian majority: the integration of your children. Sometimes it may be harder to find friends because the majority has a very different cultural background, and they hang out with each other (and not with the white European kids). We weren't aware of this at all, as we don't mind someones color or cultural background, but it was a headmaster in one of the schools that we visited that warned us that it would not always be easy because they would 'discriminate' our son. In a way, that was funny, because I come from a country where the white ones are that ones that are discrimination, I forgot that we also could be that ones who would get discriminated. ;-)
(I now have Chines and Indian friends, so it's not that they are totaly not open to connect with others, but I live in an area where they are a minority).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.