Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am moving to the UK (Knutsford) on a company secondment.
My children go to school in India (IB school) and will also be moving with me later in the year.

I am told private schooling can be quite expensive while council schools are free and equally good.

Could someone please comment or recommend what I should choose private or council. Also what are the school fees generally.

thanks and regards
Chetty:confused:

·
Registered
39,244 Posts
What are their ages?
In and around Knutsford, state (maintained) schools are generally good and well run. While for primary school (ages 11 and under), places may be found, it's quite tough to find a casual place at a good secondary school as they are all oversubscribed.
Fees at day (non-boarding) private schools range from around £7,000 (junior school) to £11,000 (senior school) a year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joppa (again)

My son will be 10 in Dec and daughter is 5.
If the state run schools are equally good, then I guess it wouldnt be necessary for me to look at the private schools.

One school of thought says that the grammar schools are the most sought after ones and thats why parents put their children in private schools if their children are around the same age as my son, so that they stand a better chance to score at the entrance exams and get into the grammar schools. is this correct?

regards

Chetty

·
Registered
39,244 Posts
Plus living in the catchment area. There are no state (non-fee paying) grammar schools in and around Knutsford, which is in Cheshire East Unitary Authority.
Your son will be in Year 5 now, and application for a secondary school place for him must be in for Cheshire East area between 1st Sept and 31st Oct 2014, so if you move soon, you will be well placed to apply for a school of your choice. You will first have to find a primary school with a place.
Your daughter is starting Year 1 now (first year of compulsory education), so it will be casual entry. Once you know where you will be living (schools often have a catchment area), phone around to find a school with a place. Consult Ofsted inspection report and school league tables.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.