Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear experts,

We are yet to make a move to Australia, but wanted to check with you all as when would be a good time to make the move. As I understand, the school term starts in January. When would admission process start? Would it be possible to apply for schooling when we haven't yet moved? I ask this because I believe the schools require the applicants to be residing near the school and we won't know where we would be residing. Is it possible to seek admission between the terms, join in the month of July and how flexible are they?

We are also not sure of which areas we would settle but most likely prefer zone 1 or southern suburbs. if we move between suburbs, would the schools admit the kids into the new term/grades?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dear experts,

We are yet to make a move to Australia, but wanted to check with you all as when would be a good time to make the move. As I understand, the school term starts in January. When would admission process start? Would it be possible to apply for schooling when we haven't yet moved? I ask this because I believe the schools require the applicants to be residing near the school and we won't know where we would be residing. Is it possible to seek admission between the terms, join in the month of July and how flexible are they?

We are also not sure of which areas we would settle but most likely prefer zone 1 or southern suburbs. if we move between suburbs, would the schools admit the kids into the new term/grades?

Thanks in advance!
What is the age of your children? Most schools grant admission throughout the year for younger children (Grades 1 - 6), for older children (Grade 9 and above) some schools prefer that the child be admitted at start of academic session, but will still grant admission even at later stages.

You can call up or email schools while in India, they will let you know any specific requirements the school may have.

Admissions, is a hassle free process. You simply have to fill in a form, carry your passport and visa, have proof of address (rental deed and contract copy of utilities), immunisation record, some schools also ask for a progress report of the child from the previous school.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the age of your children? Most schools grant admission throughout the year for younger children (Grades 1 - 6), for older children (Grade 9 and above) some schools prefer that the child be admitted at start of academic session, but will still grant admission even at later stages.

You can call up or email schools while in India, they will let you know any specific requirements the school may have.

Admissions, is a hassle free process. You simply have to fill in a form, carry your passport and visa, have proof of address (rental deed and contract copy of utilities), immunisation record, some schools also ask for a progress report of the child from the previous school.
Thanks obelixous, the process sounds fairly simple and straightforward. The place I currently live, I need to apply during the previous year (~August) to secure the admission and they usually don't admit kids in higher grades so let me say that I might have overthought this. My kid is just 5 yrs :D and might go to grade 1 I guess

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks obelixous, the process sounds fairly simple and straightforward. The place I currently live, I need to apply during the previous year (~August) to secure the admission and they usually don't admit kids in higher grades so let me say that I might have overthought this. My kid is just 5 yrs :D and might go to grade 1 I guess
Entry to Grade 1 is pretty simple for most schools. The only exception may be if you are trying to get entry a really exclusive private school.

Reactions: AnaTheDreamer

·
Registered
357 Posts
There is no issue even if you move during the school year.

I moved from Sydney to Queensland mid year and it was a smooth process for school admission for my son.

Just do you research as to which school you like as the schools have their catchment areas in which you have to live to go to that school. But please note that if your child is really really smart, schools do rarely make an exception even if you do not fall in their area. It's rare and possible but depends on principal's discretion.

Have a very Bright Future!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Entry to Grade 1 is pretty simple for most schools. The only exception may be if you are trying to get entry a really exclusive private school.
Thanks obelixous we am not planning to put him in private school. So we are good I guess.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no issue even if you move during the school year.

I moved from Sydney to Queensland mid year and it was a smooth process for school admission for my son.

Just do you research as to which school you like as the schools have their catchment areas in which you have to live to go to that school. But please note that if your child is really really smart, schools do rarely make an exception even if you do not fall in their area. It's rare and possible but depends on principal's discretion.

Have a very Bright Future!!
Thanks, we also want to stay close to the school but it seems like catch-22. Do you have any pointers to go about finding the right school? Found lots of rankings and statistics that are based on merits and grades. But I am not able to arrive at a decision with that. How would usually one go about with the research?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Usually there is a site which people use to compare the rankings of schools in that area. However, that said it all depends. Sometimes it does happen with Trial & Error and talking to others in the same city / neighbourhood.

Also, may be you could look at semi-private - like Catholic schools - which are not very expensive and you can get reviews on them online. Also since they are not zoned, you can put your kid in a good school in a different suburb!

·
Registered
194 Posts
This site is one of the better ones. https://bettereducation.com.au/SchoolRanking.aspx

- Select "Primary" (Year 1 - 6) or "Secondary" (Year 7 - 12) based on age of children.
- Select the year 2016 or a previous year for the state you want to settle in
- The list of schools is displayed, sorted on "State Overall score", the key here is to note that the difference between a score of 100 and say a score of 90 is not too much.
- Shortlist some of the schools
- Go to the school's site to check the catchment area of the school.
- Group the schools based on the suburbs they are in, and this will give you possible areas you can shortlist to live in

Hopefully this addresses the Catch-22 you refer to.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks, we also want to stay close to the school but it seems like catch-22. Do you have any pointers to go about finding the right school? Found lots of rankings and statistics that are based on merits and grades. But I am not able to arrive at a decision with that. How would usually one go about with the research?
Which city are you planning to move to?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This site is one of the better ones. https://bettereducation.com.au/SchoolRanking.aspx

- Select "Primary" (Year 1 - 6) or "Secondary" (Year 7 - 12) based on age of children.
- Select the year 2016 or a previous year for the state you want to settle in
- The list of schools is displayed, sorted on "State Overall score", the key here is to note that the difference between a score of 100 and say a score of 90 is not too much.
- Shortlist some of the schools
- Go to the school's site to check the catchment area of the school.
- Group the schools based on the suburbs they are in, and this will give you possible areas you can shortlist to live in

Hopefully this addresses the Catch-22 you refer to.
Thanks this was helpful. I am now going through schools' sites. Now I presumed that all the public schools would be kinda similar say syllabuses, teaching methods etc. However I am surprised to see some were focused on academics while others are more nuturing like emphasis on extra curricular activities, even gardening etc. Basically I understand they are govt funded but can follow their own methodology. So lots of groundwork I guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Melbourne
Plenty of good south-eastern suburbs in Melbourne with excellent public schools. Best areas for schools are South Yarra, Glen Waverly, Mount Waverly, Doncaster, Burwood, Kew, Glen Iris, Camberwell, Balwyn, Oakleigh.

You can go to https://www.myschool.edu.au/ which is the government website which will give you all the details about particular school. Just go to the site, enter suburb name in the search box. In the suggestion list, you will find names of the schools in that suburb.

Go to each school profile. Go to NAPLAN, Result in numbers page. This will show you how good the school is compared to other schools with students from similar backgrounds.

Also, check the school's ICSEA score. That shows the mix of students depending on their family income. That will show you how many students are from well-of family and how many are from disadvantaged background. Generally, the more the ICSEA score, the better the ranking is.

Also, you can get what is the students-to-teacher ratio by looking at number of teaching staff vs number of enrolments. Also, you can see how school performed over number of years.

In short, this website will give you greater insight into the school rather than just academic scores and the background information on school is more reliable because it comes directly from the school authorities.

·
Registered
140 Posts
what is the school fee in Australia

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I heard is almost free for primary public schools. Probably some $100 annually for extra curricular activities..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jaguar123

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's quite cheap if it is a public school. It comes to around 3k to 4k annually depending on state.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2 year old daughter and we r planning make the move to aus next year..can you tell me at what age kids can go to preschool and 1st grade etc...?i hear you can avail child support in PR..is this for day care facility..as i understand schooling is kind of free with PR?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a 2 year old daughter and we r planning make the move to aus next year..can you tell me at what age kids can go to preschool and 1st grade etc...?i hear you can avail child support in PR..is this for day care facility..as i understand schooling is kind of free with PR?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
Kids who complete 5 years of their age by 30th April here in Victoria are eligible to go to the prep-school and the year next to that will be class I. Age completion date changes from state to state, so you need to check the criteria for the state where you are planning to move.

You can get Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate if your child goes to approved day care centre. For school, there is no child support benefit as the school itself is funded by state and federal government. If you enrol your kid to public school, it's pretty cheap anyway.

Reactions: Bhajjaji

·
Registered
1 Posts
Queensland High School's with excellent Art/Media studies

Hi there,

We are planning to move to Queensland from South Australia this year. My daughter will be in Year 11. She plans on studying concept art, animation etc at University. Can anyone please tell us a good high school (private or government) that has an excellent art/media program that can support her towards her university goals? It is unlikely she qualifies for the Queensland creative academy as she has to start in Year 10 or being doing the IB program. She is not doing the IB here in SA.

Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello All - we are currently awaiting our visa approvals for NSW, thought of exploring the schooling options meanwhile. Do you have any suggestions for the next steps? I heard that it is really difficult to get a response for people offshore - and you need to meet the school officials directly for getting the details - is it true ? We plan to travel by Jan / Feb (provided we get approvals by then) - would that be a risky proposition ? Experts please advise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts