Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT SCHOOL/ COLLEGE/UNIV. FEE a PERMANENT RESIDENT ( PROVISIONAL ) 475 VISA HOLDER HAS TO PAY FOR HIMSELF OR HIS CHILDREN ? For PUBLIC, CATHOLIC and PRIVATE INSTITUTIONS.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Have you tried the websites of the schools / colleges / unis? They may state the fees or give them a call.

Coming originally from the UK all education here seems expensive to me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
475 is a temporary visa, so international fees will be applicable.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think so, yet to confirm. I think ppl mixup 475 with 457. On 475 it is required to bring 30-40 thousand dollars for a family and if we have to pay International fee, all money is gone. How is it possible, and feasable too?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But conditions of both are different. One leads to ultimate PR when stay and job conditions are met. The other says u have to find another job in 28 days if u r laid off by existing employer.
Then i have seen on the sites of States of NSW and NT that 475 are treated as PR in case of school fees. In NSW 457 is not.
How can one afford to survive with the family of four paying this much fee ? Let me ask from the schools directly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me add one more thing that even people on student visa are allowed to pay concessional fee of around 3-4 thousand a year for dependant.
Can someone already there in Aus on 475 visa in this situation help ?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Universities base their fee on whether you are a permanent resident or not. The reduced CSP fees for local students are only if you hold a permanent residency.

All temporary visas will make you an international student from the university's point of view, and they will charge international fees.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But what about Student Visa? If it is Temporary or Permanent ?

G

·
Special provisions are put in place for students visa holders who are already paying international fees for their own university place so they get their childrens education a little cheaper.

Fact is you should have applied for a visa that met your needs which this one quite obviously does not. Surely you knew you would have to pay school fees for your children and that you would get no centrelink payments to support them. If that was not acceptable you should have applied for a visa that didnt have those restrictions.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I think that you need to check with the Unis themselves to find the answers - that's the only way you'll find out for sure.

·
Registered
716 Posts
State schools' fees can be regulated by the state government. Fees for private schools and universities are not in direct government control.

G

·
Maz is right. Those on provisional spouse should pay international fees but the university of newcastle in nsw allows them to pay loacal fees. I know this because I was thinking of studying there but didn't in the end. This was their own policy so may not apply elsewhere but its worth digging to find out.

·
Banned
934 Posts
There is absolutely no difference between fees for international students compared to local students on post graduate programs. For Undergrad students well it's completely different.

For OP Undergrad fees for Australian Citizens aren't 3-4k try 8-12k per year with internationals ranging from 20-30k per year

·
Registered
149 Posts
But why only two states have elaborated this and not others, thats my point and worry too :(
How ever for SA, in which i am interested, i have this link where 475 has been placed with 175 and 176, which gives me a bit relief.
What services are you eligible to use? :: Make The Move

And also there is another site where Temporary fees of different class visas is given for Western Australia and there is no mention of 475 here.

Temporary, Dependant and Bridging Visa Holders | studying-at-schools
Have you mailed directly to university regarding this query? Let us know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
475 is a temporary visa which can lead to a permanent visa. Anyone on a 475 is not eligible for Medicare , centre link benefits etc. I would say that you will need to pay the full fee rather than the subsidized fee available to local students. I have known people on student visas who had to pay 5-6 thousand a year for their children until they got PR. A student visa is also a temporary visa as are bridging visa etc.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
NAsif Yes , i have mailed query to one of the public school in Adelaide-SA. lets c what they reply.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.