Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
My children got offered a place at Safa school, and the English college Dubai (primary) got back to us earlier this month to say all spots were now filled for Sep and we were not successful in reaching the top of the list.

So I think they let you know either way. Which schools have you applied for? Only some we looked at didn't even open their lists until Jan so allocate places around may sort of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
I'm looking for a friend who has two daughters 6 and 8. I have a horrible feeling he's too late for September. Do you think he should be considering Plan B, i.e. come ut on his own and delay the children until Lent term (after Christmas?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
ReggieDXB007 said:
I'm looking for a friend who has two daughters 6 and 8. I have a horrible feeling he's too late for September. Do you think he should be considering Plan B, i.e. come ut on his own and delay the children until Lent term (after Christmas?)
School places in Dubai are hard to get, some schools we had our name down since June/July 2011 for a sep 2012 spot and still didn't make it to the top of the list.

It may be hard at this stage but not impossible.

Who you work for and who you know goes a long way in securing a school place so it's worth speaking to the company to see if they have any influence over school places. Plus once you have a place for one child the other goes to the top of the list due to 'sibling priority'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
School places in Dubai are hard to get, some schools we had our name down since June/July 2011 for a sep 2012 spot and still didn't make it to the top of the list.

It may be hard at this stage but not impossible.

Who you work for and who you know goes a long way in securing a school place so it's worth speaking to the company to see if they have any influence over school places. Plus once you have a place for one child the other goes to the top of the list due to 'sibling priority'
Thank you for this, really helpful. Ours are now grown up but I remember the regular hassle as we would arrive at a new country and work our way through the school system. Wish home schooling was an option!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
ReggieDXB007 said:
I'm looking for a friend who has two daughters 6 and 8. I have a horrible feeling he's too late for September. Do you think he should be considering Plan B, i.e. come ut on his own and delay the children until Lent term (after Christmas?)
Which schools have been tried so far?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Hi there. I wonder if anyway could help me. My husband has been offered a job starting sept. myself and my two boys (year 2 and year 5) are due to join him in jan. From reading the horror stories about getting into schools over there I am reluctant for my husband to take the job. My eldest son has a good chance of getting into a top grammar school here in England and I am worried that I will be taking him away from that with no hope of getting him into a half way decent school in Dubai. I guess my question is , is there a chance of getting my 2 boys into a half way decent school in Dubai without having been on the waiting list for ages? Apologies if I have posted in the wrong part of the forum, it's my first post! We need to make a decision soon do any info much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Sevenoaks1 said:
Hi there. I wonder if anyway could help me. My husband has been offered a job starting sept. myself and my two boys (year 2 and year 5) are due to join him in jan. From reading the horror stories about getting into schools over there I am reluctant for my husband to take the job. My eldest son has a good chance of getting into a top grammar school here in England and I am worried that I will be taking him away from that with no hope of getting him into a half way decent school in Dubai. I guess my question is , is there a chance of getting my 2 boys into a half way decent school in Dubai without having been on the waiting list for ages? Apologies if I have posted in the wrong part of the forum, it's my first post! We need to make a decision soon do any info much appreciated.

My children don't start school here until september but I have visited/toured a lot of the schools and have friends who's children go to them - to be honest i don't think there are any 'bad' schools. If you are used to top end private education then you may feel some schools fall short but as far as the British and international schools here go, I feel they are all at or above the level of an extremely decent state school in the uk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Welsh_lady said:
My children don't start school here until september but I have visited/toured a lot of the schools and have friends who's children go to them - to be honest i don't think there are any 'bad' schools. If you are used to top end private education then you may feel some schools fall short but as far as the British and international schools here go, I feel they are all at or above the level of an extremely decent state school in the uk.

Many thanks for your reply. It seems from the forum that there does seem to be lots of very good British Curriculum schools in Dubai and I am not overly worried about getting them into the most popular ones with long waiting lists ( which is good as it seems I wouldn't be able to anyway!!)

I guess one of my main concerns is that my husband would starts his job in September and that we would then not get our children into a Britsh school in the Jan and therefore can not join him. Did you have your children on a waiting list for a long time?
I gather that most of the schools are quite good, are there any British curriculum schools that do not have any waiting lists at all?
I would actually love to move to Dubai with my family as I feel they would have a great time , but I just can not seem to really get a feel as to whether there would be school places for them for Jan. Thanks south for you help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Sevenoaks1 said:
I guess one of my main concerns is that my husband would starts his job in September and that we would then not get our children into a Britsh school in the Jan and therefore can not join him. Did you have your children on a waiting list for a long time?
I gather that most of the schools are quite good, are there any British curriculum schools that do not have any waiting lists at all?
I would actually love to move to Dubai with my family as I feel they would have a great time , but I just can not seem to really get a feel as to whether there would be school places for them for Jan. Thanks south for you help.
you actually stand a much better chance at finding places after September because Dubai have rules preventing mid year transfers. It basically means if your child goes to school in Dubai and you wish to move them to another school - it can only be done in September.

Dubai has a high turn over and people leave all the time meaning post september, spaces in schools can only be filled by children entering the Dubai school system for the first time-so much less competition for places.

Most of the schools charge (per child) to add them to their waiting list which can be expensive - some will take the fee even if you stand no chance so be sure to ask how long the list is etc. horizon, Safa and star (umm sheif) are the only schools I know of that don't charge. I'd recommend contacting schools now to put your name down. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Welsh_lady said:
you actually stand a much better chance at finding places after September because Dubai have rules preventing mid year transfers. It basically means if your child goes to school in Dubai and you wish to move them to another school - it can only be done in September.

Dubai has a high turn over and people leave all the time meaning post september, spaces in schools can only be filled by children entering the Dubai school system for the first time-so much less competition for places.

Most of the schools charge (per child) to add them to their waiting list which can be expensive - some will take the fee even if you stand no chance so be sure to ask how long the list is etc. horizon, Safa and star (umm sheif) are the only schools I know of that don't charge. I'd recommend contacting schools now to put your name down. Good luck!
Many thanks for your reply. You have eased my mind. We need to get the children on waiting lists
for schools where they are not too long. Has anyone heard of British families coming over and not getting into a British Curriculum school at all, or am I being over dramatic. Read one article where family had to home school which I couldn't do ( would be a terrible teacher!!) Are there any schools you know of with no or small waiting lists and I could start at these schools?? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Sevenoaks1 said:
Many thanks for your reply. You have eased my mind. We need to get the children on waiting lists
for schools where they are not too long. Has anyone heard of British families coming over and not getting into a British Curriculum school at all, or am I being over dramatic. Read one article where family had to home school which I couldn't do ( would be a terrible teacher!!) Are there any schools you know of with no or small waiting lists and I could start at these schools?? Thanks
Are you allowed to home school in uae?? I thought not! I'm pretty sure british curriculum schools require transfer transcripts? Can't comment on other curriculums though
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top