Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am considering moving to somewhere along the Med coast of Spain with my family. We have 2 kids will go to school soon and we want to send them to state school, but prefer school with Spanish rather than Catalan. Also we like to live in city with good public transport + train, air connection. It seams that only around Alicante or Malaga? Anybody here know for sure if school in Alicante teach in Spanish or not? Any suggestion on specific places I should look at, please?

Thank you

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Hi all,

I am considering moving to somewhere along the Med coast of Spain with my family. We have 2 kids will go to school soon and we want to send them to state school, but prefer school with Spanish rather than Catalan. Also we like to live in city with good public transport + train, air connection. It seams that only around Alicante or Malaga? Anybody here know for sure if school in Alicante teach in Spanish or not? Any suggestion on specific places I should look at, please?

Thank you
I don't think you will have much luck.

Towards Barcelona, they will be taught in Spanish and Catalan and then further south it will be Spanish and Valenciano.

Some schools have streams where you can opt for either language but in our experience, the children are still taught in a mixture of the two.

In my opinion, it's not that bad as they will complete school fully able to speak and write in at least 3 languages and possibly more (English, Spanish and then one of the others). In our school, they also teach German and Chinese.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
I don't think you will have much luck.

Towards Barcelona, they will be taught in Spanish and Catalan and then further south it will be Spanish and Valenciano.

Some schools have streams where you can opt for either language but in our experience, the children are still taught in a mixture of the two.

In my opinion, it's not that bad as they will complete school fully able to speak and write in at least 3 languages and possibly more (English, Spanish and then one of the others). In our school, they also teach German and Chinese.
certainly an hour-ish north of Alicante all the schools each in Castellano & Valenciano - we come under the province of Alicante for education

some schools will lean more towards one than the other - but all children will study in both

my older daughter is fluent in English, Castellano & Valenciano - my younger less so in Valenciano, she can do her schoolwork in it, but doesn't really like to speak it...

my older daughter also studies German, Latin & Greek

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd love to see my kids learning and speaking as many languages as they can, especially the language of people where we live. But I am not in favor of too much emphasizing on local minor language such as in Barcelona. So as long as the school teach Spanish as primary language, then it's OK.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Where we are they are taught Andaluc, simply because it is the dialect spoken. We have friends from Madrid who find Andaluc almost impossible to understand. Our son (nearly 4) is fluent in English and now learning Spanish and has a good vocabulary already. Later he will learn German...

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I'd love to see my kids learning and speaking as many languages as they can, especially the language of people where we live. But I am not in favor of too much emphasizing on local minor language such as in Barcelona. So as long as the school teach Spanish as primary language, then it's OK.
I wouldn't consider Catalan too much of a minor language - especially when you consider so many people speak it. It's problem is that it isn't a national language, so it doesn't achieve international recognition in the same way as say Swedish, even though roughly the same number of people speak those languages. Besides, surely speaking Catalan, Castilian and English is better than speaking just Castilian and English?

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
I wouldn't consider Catalan too much of a minor language - especially when you consider so many people speak it. It's problem is that it isn't a national language, so it doesn't achieve international recognition in the same way as say Swedish, even though roughly the same number of people speak those languages. Besides, surely speaking Catalan, Castilian and English is better than speaking just Castilian and English?
Apparently there are about 7 milion speakers of Catalan in places like Andorra and Alghero (yes, I had to look it up too) besides Catalonia. There are 410 million native speakers of Spanish, plus those who speak it as a second language so even if you don't count Catalan as a minor language it's certainly not major.
Also, if the flags of the OP are anything to go by, the children may well already speak 3 languages, may already come from a mixed cultural/ language/ country background, and Spain might not be their last port of call, perhaps it's understandable that they are looking at a one language area :)
Anyway, what ever the reasons are, that's what they have requested information on and the answer remains that if they are interested in state school education that is not the right area of Spain to choose. Also stay away from the Basque country in the north and Galicia. Asturias is OK, central Spain and Andalusia - well, maybe...:eek:

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Where we are they are taught Andaluc, simply because it is the dialect spoken. We have friends from Madrid who find Andaluc almost impossible to understand. Our son (nearly 4) is fluent in English and now learning Spanish and has a good vocabulary already. Later he will learn German...
Andaluc???:confused:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you
If your son go to Catalonia or Valencia,he will learn 2 languages at same time,catalan or valenciano and spanish.Here in Catalonia the level of spanish is similar or even little superior than other regions who only learn spanish (source of the spanish government),however some people dont want that their sons learn catalan,:)).I don't know why..hehe.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Catalan is the language of Catalonia, then the people who come here must learn catalan,like if you go to Szech Republic, Hungary,Holland,Finland,Danmark,Sweden,Belarus,Norway,etc,etc,etc,in this places you must learn this languages, many of this languages have less speakers than catalan,catalan/valenciano have little more than 13 milions of speakers, is few if you compare with english,spanish or chinesse, but is OUR LANGUAGE.and we are very proud of speak it,like i can imagine you are very proud to speak your language.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
I have to admit that when we first moved here I questioned the relevance of my 'foreign' children having to learn the local language as well as Castellano

I thought it would be hard enough to learn just one new language

in fact it seems to have made no difference - they learned both new languages side by side - & athough my younger daughter is reluctant to actually speak Valenciano, she can, though admittedly not as well as Castellano & English

but then, some of her local Spanish classmates speak Valenciano better than they speak Castellano - Valenciano is the language of the home

it has opened doors for them - they are 'locals', especially my older daughter who has NO English (as a first language) speaking friends

& just the fact that they have learned more languages makes learning yet more easier

& yes... I can understand it too - I just haven't quite got to the 'speaking' stage (yet)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Catalan is the language of Catalonia, then the people who come here must learn catalan,like if you go to Szech Republic, Hungary,Holland,Finland,Danmark,Sweden,Belarus,Norway,etc,etc,etc,in this places you must learn this languages, many of this languages have less speakers than catalan,catalan/valenciano have little more than 13 milions of speakers, is few if you compare with english,spanish or chinesse, but is OUR LANGUAGE.and we are very proud of speak it,like i can imagine you are very proud to speak your language.
I know how Catalan people are proud of their language, and if we come to live in Barcelona, we definitely will make our kids learn to speak Catalan. (But BTW, do we have choice?)
@Pesky Wesky: Thank you for understanding and answering my question. However, I found that there are some schools in Alicante do teach Spanish as the first language. Just don't know if they are good school.

@thrax: Never heard of Andaluc though. You must be kidding me, right?

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
I know how Catalan people are proud of their language, and if we come to live in Barcelona, we definitely will make our kids learn to speak Catalan. (But BTW, do we have choice?)
@Pesky Wesky: Thank you for understanding and answering my question. However, I found that there are some schools in Alicante do teach Spanish as the first language. Just don't know if they are good school.

thrax isn't exactly joking....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5po3PmnpMxc

·
Registered
19,386 Posts

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
I don't doubt the debate behind Andaluz: language, accent or dialect??
My question was about Andaluc which I have never heard of, and nither has Google, so is it a typo or what?
I figured it was a typo - the 'c' isn't that far from the 'z' ...............

unless thrax knows something we don't

·
Registered
19,386 Posts

I think you should find out what percentage of the timetable is taught in Spanish and which subjects...

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
What's wrong with that? it is perfectly intelligible just as Valenciano, Catalan and Galego (or Gallego in Spanish). In fact all of those are more intelligible than the way many English kids speak nowadays. Note that I did not include Basque which I would never even try to understand.
nowt wrong with it - I only posted it to show that it exists

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

Friends of mine from Madrid send their kids to a castillano speaking school in Alicante. No idea how good it is, but it makes you realise that the Spanish themselves have this problem too. If you have kids brought up speaking one of Spain's languages it is hard to relocate to a part of Spain where another language is prevalent. I think the government is trying to re-enforce Castellano as the lingua franca in Spain, but I'm not sure how far it will get.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts