Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is in school locally. In September 2020 there was an accident in the playground where another child broke his arm when playing. Correspondence at the time stated that I viewed this as an accident when children were playing and that the school insurance should cover this (although we do have separate school insurance).

One year later (having heard nothing since....) I am being asked to pay an excess of €169!!! On querying this I was told that the school insurance (with AXA) did not cover this, although when I took this out originally in 2016 AXA stated:
"Yes we can make an scholl insurance for your son. He will be covered for all the damage I could have in the school activity. With your house insurance he is cover for all the damage I could make to other in the scholl"

NOW I am being told that this comes under my HOUSE insurance (with AXA)...where there is an excess of €169!!

Nobody ever made me aware of this....and what is the purpose then of separate school insurance???

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I suppose the issue is that if your house insurance includes responsabilité civile, which household insurance normally does, then damages caused by household members to third parties are covered through that.
Normally it is a principle of insurers not to give "double insurance". Each risk is covered once, you don't cover the same risk under different policies.
I guess that is what AXA is trying to say in the quote. Between the household policy and the separate school policy, he is covered for every eventuality but some things come under one policy and some come under the other. The two policies complement each other, they do not overlap.
Is it not clear from reading the two policies, what is covered by which?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly...I was never made aware of HOUSE Insurance covering school!!!...and WHAT is School Insurance for???

What if I didn't have House iNsurane....or what if not with AXA>??? To my mind it's an innocent accident in tehschool playgound...and the school insurance should cover it...!! A fight to be fought I think....

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Most parents in France take out specific insurance to cover their school aged children both at school and during extra curriculur activities. It's called assurance scolaire for the minimum cover which is obligatory from maternelle up.

·
Administrator
51,971 Posts
To my mind it's an innocent accident in tehschool playgound...and the school insurance should cover it...!! A fight to be fought I think....
What you think about the accident may or may not jibe with how these various insurances work here in France. And these "civil responsibility" insurances here in France are meant to cover exactly the sort of "innocent accident" it sounds like you are describing here. The school's insurance covers a very different set of circumstances - not necessarily what you expect them to cover.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am not sure I understood who broke whose arm, is your son the source of accident or the victim?
School insurance is used to cover damages that your son encounters, you should find a document with your insurer describing the coverage, something like:
Vous avez choisi la formule 3.
DOMMAGES SUBIS PAR L'ASSURE
En cas de décès --> Versement d'une indemnité de : 4.000 EUR
En cas d'invalidité permanente totale 200.000 EUR
FRAIS DE TRAITEMENT GARANTIS dans les limites suivantes :
Frais médicaux, pharmaceutiques et d'hospitalisation 200 %
Prothèses dentaires 200 EUR/dent
Bris ou perte de lunettes ou de lentilles 200 EUR
FRAIS DE TRANSPORT: Transport en ambulance (sauf intervention "ASSISTANCE") 400 EUR
Conduite à l'école 400 EUR
FRAIS DE RATTRAPAGE SCOLAIRE 200 EUR/mois
Avec une franchise de 20 jours Durée de paiement : 10 mois maximum
ASSISTANCE 24h/24h no tél : 01.55.92.26.92

while house insurance usually has what is called the responsibility civil, which covers damages done BY your son...

So if your son broke the other kids arm, then your house insurance paid for that and that is why they are asking for more... is it a some to pay for this specific accident or the increased your insurance premium by this amount?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree Mohsel I did not understand why the OP is being asked to pay the excess if it was the other kid responsible but the sentence telling us what happened is a bit ambiguous

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
And do not forget that if a person causes injury to another then CPAM can claim costs back and so perhaps claimed off your house insurance who paid out and are now asking you for the excess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts