Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We are Australian family coming over to Dubai by end of this year after completing my Grade 3 here in Melbourne. First of all there was confusion between British school year system. We got admission in Gems Wellington Primary School but they were putting my daughter back in Year 4 in system which I thought Grade 4 that time.
Luckily I called another Gems School who told us Grade 3 is Year 4:confused:. Anyways we have put forward her name for admission but she is on waiting list.
I have heard there is AIS and VISS in Sharjah based on Australian curriculum. Any reviews about these schools?? and which schools most of aussie kids go to?

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
All I'll say is, you really don't want to be living in Dubai and doing a school run to Sharjah every day, each morning and night is at least a 3 hour round trip from Downtown.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Australian kids go to all the British / international curriculum schools. Wellington is a perfectly good school, better than most.

As Rascal pointed out, VISS and AIS are all the way in Sharjah. People who live in Dubai simply do not go to Sharjah unless they work there. The traffic is awful and doing the school run twice a day will be time consuming and terrible. Sharjah functions as an inexpensive working class suburb for Dubai and rush hour traffic can take up to two hours or even longer. Despite the Australian connection the vast majority of students will be Middle Eastern or South Asian nationalities.

I'd ring a few more schools and have a frank discussion about the years and coming from the Australian school year and what it means. Jumeirah Primary is good, Jebel Ali Primary is also great, as is DESS.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Also ask about coming mid-term. A friend just moved back to Australia and basically their kids need to repeat a semester as the school years don't match up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your input again. I have enrolled her in Royal Dubai School where cut off is December so she will not repeat her grade. The only thing is that she is on waiting list so finger cross we get something soon.

I noticed there is new Alpha School coming up too in September which follows British curriculum. It is very close to our place but there is no reviews about this school as it is very new. The school fees is on lower side:) which is great. Any thoughts on this school.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts