Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are coming over on 2nd June for a week before our big move during the summer . I want to view some school and get my 7 year old enrolled for September. Does anyone have any do's / don'ts ? Is the process easy ? Anything I should be aware of ? Also, any schools to go for / avoid ?
Any help appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
you are in a very similar position to me.
going out in June, 7 year old daughter after a school.

There are heaps of threads on this that i've read, and plenty of help. There is a specific schools thread somewhere.

i have started (as of yesterday) trying to get her name down for a few schools.
Others will tell you more, but there are massive waiting lists for almost all years of all schools - some stretching out for years.
Company debentures seem to take priority (depends who you work for)
it seems people get on the lists of lots of schools, which makes the waiting lists a little artificial. once they accept a place, they drop off the others (or should if they bother to notify)
it all sounds pretty fraught to me!
cant pick a place to live until the school is sorted.

Would love to hear any info you find out, if you get anything!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Which schools have you applied for ? There seem to be loads to choose from . We are flying out there on Saturday for a week to go look at some of them .
If your here for a week would suggest you to a certain ammount of planning before hande. Take a look at the attached KHDA link for school inspections and other advice. KHDA is pretty similiar to an offsted report so will at least give you an idea of the standard of the school.

There some other links as well that will help you.

KHDA school inspection report 2012

Once you have identified which schools youre interested in give them a call ( i know your in the UK and it may result in a big phone bill next month, but will save you wasting your time visiting a school and finding your kids will get a place in 2015!) check on what there waiting lists are like for the years you need and the likelyhood of spaces being available. If there are spaces then make an appointment. Although there are a lot of schools following the british curriculim many of these will have long waiting lists so be prepared for a lot of frustration and worry. Good luck

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
try GEMS Wellington Primary.
I think they have spaces..!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts