Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I guess this is an unsual post but we need ideas.
I live with my family in a small town with a pretty small school. The primaire has about 100 children and about 75-80 at the maternelle. The cantine is now too small to accommodate everyone and using a very unfair system, the Mairie decides who gets a place in the cantine and who doesn't, leaving lots of families with only one parent being able to work. All the nou nous are fully booked too. All the parents from the school have been trying to find a solution but no one seems to be interested in helping, not the mayor,not the mp, NO ONE. Everything we propose is not possible according to them and they don't even want to meet with us to talk about it. It has been so bad!!!
So my question is, first of all, is this even legal? Doesn't the school have the obligation of keeping the kids all day? Did anyone go through a similar situation in their town? Can anyone clarify some of the rules regarding this issue since everyone here has a different idea of what the law says...
Thank you very much, we are desperate for some help/ ideas.
Benjamin

·
Banned
6,806 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

We live in the suburbs of Paris and both my kids are at ecole maternelle moyenne section. We were requested to write to city hall for the rights of using cantine. We got the reply of rights of 2 days a week, as the cantine is too small and because of I am not working.

I guess basically schools in France do not have obligations to hold the kids full day.

But if both parents are working, I think city hall would need to find a solution for you parents!

Wish you good lucks and smooth negotiations~~

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
Probably doesn't help your cause any, but this is the Service Public page on the subject: Règles de fonctionnement de la cantine à l'école primaire - Service-public.fr

The first sentence kind of answers your question: La restauration scolaire à l'école primaire dépend de la commune, mais n'est pas un service obligatoire.

In most towns where they limit the number of children who can eat at the cantine, preference goes to those whose parents both work AND neither parent can get sufficient time at lunch to come pick up the kids. (Usually means the mother has to provide something from the employer to verify this.) But according to what written in the Service Public, the towns are permitted to set their own conditions.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
661 Posts
This seems to be happening in many schools. As stated by Bev, most of the time when both parents work they are on the top of the list for a space.
In my village parents have organized themselves taking turns in welcoming other children at their place making the day when they have children for lunch once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.