Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

My daughter will be going to the french school in Oud Metha near Wafi mall in September. We live in Tecom, I am thinking to enroll her in the school bus but I am worried about the commuting. Do you have any children there and live near Tecom area, will it be too exhausting for her? We are actually thinking about moving to a closer area but we are happy where we are and it hasnt been a year since we moved.

Thanks a lot
Maya

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Your daughter is probably around 4 years old and you're having her commute from one end of the city to another. Yes, I think it will be too exhausting for her. My personal recommendation is for you to move closer to the school. Not only will the commute be exhausting, judging from what I saw last week, with cars weaving around a school bus on SZR, I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I agree with Pam, either move yourself or move the school. Totally and utterly unacceptable to let a 4 year old (or any age under 12) to be on a bus.

How much do you really value your kid's life/well being?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate and RESPECT any constructive feedback or comment (such as the one posted by Pam). Unfortunately your question does not fall in that category, so I refrain from answering. :)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I appreciate and RESPECT any constructive feedback or comment (such as the one posted by Pam). Unfortunately your question does not fall in that category, so I refrain from answering. :)
There are many schools around tecom, why would you send your kid to Oud Metha? I don't get it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good question :) I need to put her to a french school for several reasons and there are only three in Dubai ..this one is actually the closest one.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Possibly because it's the French school?
Pardon mademoiselle.

When the "bored" comments on people moving to Dubai with kids, we all say get the kids into a school first and then decide where to live.

Ah well, you can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink it.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
TECOM to Wafi is like 30 mins and the bus will be against the flow of traffic (in the mornings SZR trafiic is in the direction of AD and in the afternoon/ evening it would be towards SHarjah).

Depending on the bus route, your child would have to be in the bus for 45 mins to 1 hour.

I am not sure what your question is.

1. Will it be exhausting? Yes
  2. Is it ideal? No
  3. Can it be done? Definitely
  4. Do others do it? Yes; in fact its far worse in some cases - children are more "rugged" than we give them credit for.
  5. Should you do it? Probably yes; try to move closer to the school next year

Make sure that you follow up with the school as to how they ensure the standards for school transportation and what their procedures for ensuring kids' safety are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Yes most likely we are moving, but I am not sure we will be able to do so this year so just wanted to check whether it can be managed this year or not. As for the safety, I got a feedback from friends whose children are in the same school about seatbelts regulations and all that, they also live in Tecom and not facing big issues but I really wanted to take more than one opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts