Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what age children start school in Spain? I read somewhere that they start at 3 yrs and somewhere else that 3-6yrs is only pre-school so they don't actually officially have to start until they are 6yrs??? Any clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks Hayley

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what age children start school in Spain? I read somewhere that they start at 3 yrs and somewhere else that 3-6yrs is only pre-school so they don't actually officially have to start until they are 6yrs??? Any clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks Hayley
yes, 1st year of primary & obligatory school is the year in which they have their 6th birthday

infant school starts at 3 years in most areas but isn't obligatory

have a look at the 'useful links' sticky above to see which year your child should be in for entry September this year (2012)

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
As xabia says, 1st year of obligatory education is the year that the child has their 6th birthday, but I don't know anybody whose child started that late. Maybe that's because I live in a commuter town and people tend to need their kids to be in full time free education so that they can go to Madrid to work.

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
As xabia says, 1st year of obligatory education is the year that the child has their 6th birthday, but I don't know anybody whose child started that late. Maybe that's because I live in a commuter town and people tend to need their kids to be in full time free education so that they can go to Madrid to work.
I don't either, not even among us foreigners who might not be working - the earlier the child gets into school & learning the language(s) the better IMO

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks Hayley
Correct, Think of the first 3 years of school as being 'Nursery' in the UK.
My daughter started full time school (9am -5pm) just after turning 3 years old

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for this everyone! At least I know I have the right info. Are all schools 9am -5pm, that's a long day in comparison to the UK.
We are coming out next week to check out some properties to rent and have a look around. Only just booked it do frantically trying to get organised now!! Thanks again

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Thanks for this everyone! At least I know I have the right info. Are all schools 9am -5pm, that's a long day in comparison to the UK.
We are coming out next week to check out some properties to rent and have a look around. Only just booked it do frantically trying to get organised now!! Thanks again
School hours vary from area to area

Around here the primary schools do 9am - 12:30 with a half hour break at 11am, then lunch, returning at 3pm - 4:30. Children either stay at school for lunch or go home. A lot of infants only stay for the morning session.

good luck with the recce - let us know how you get on!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot, looks like each area/ school has their own rules. Someone recommended the Olive Tree School in St Pere de Ribes to me today so will have a check and see what hours they do. Obviously depends where we decide to live I guess!! ;o) My daughter is only 3yrs old in Aug so I don't really want exhaust her too much.

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Thanks alot, looks like each area/ school has their own rules. Someone recommended the Olive Tree School in St Pere de Ribes to me today so will have a check and see what hours they do. Obviously depends where we decide to live I guess!! ;o) My daughter is only 3yrs old in Aug so I don't really want exhaust her too much.
I thought you were looking at state schools :confused2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts