Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am researching the school admissions for my son (5 year old in Jan). I understand school year starts end of jan but what happens when you arrive middle of year - do the schools take your kid in? and does he get into the lower class or same class as appropriate for his age? do they have some kind of eligibility test to test which class he should be going into or its just according to age?

what kind of after school support exists in the community?
it would be great if someone can share any information on this.

regards
Aurita

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi,

I am researching the school admissions for my son (5 year old in Jan). I understand school year starts end of jan but what happens when you arrive middle of year - do the schools take your kid in? and does he get into the lower class or same class as appropriate for his age? do they have some kind of eligibility test to test which class he should be going into or its just according to age?

what kind of after school support exists in the community?
it would be great if someone can share any information on this.

regards
Aurita

Hi,
I guess it all depends on the type of School you are going to put your child to.

If it is a govt school they may have a long list of pending applications from parents who has applied years before some may have vacancies.I assume all or most of the Govt schools are zoned so you will have to go with your Deed or lease agreement in hand to apply.check out the Department websites.Some schools specifically state how many terms a child will be allowed according to the term of enrollment.I am also new to this and am researching about all schools and possible good schools to put my children.We are planning to go to Adelaide in Jan 2010.Some schools have already sent applications for us to fill and are keeping them on the waiting list.Why don't you write to them.If you are in Aussi Land try to meet the school admission officers or ask for a tour of school and discuss their terms

I hope this helps.If you could be specific about the area that you live in or intend to live in more members may help you in this.If u r in Victoria Dolly's Sticky thread will assist you

Good luck

NK

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi NK,
thanks - v helpful. I did not realise one can start emailing to schools and get oneself on the waiting list even before you move. I am on SS for Canberra and we plan to recee in Feb and hope right after. A lot depends on the economic situation and jobs. I am a little concerned about the fact that whether i should apply for a school in Canberra since I have absolutely no idea where we will live and in a new country, dropping off our child v far off and making it to work will be tough- would prefer to wait till we know where we will live. But yes, I guess i can ask these questions. I also will be in touch with Canberra's SBM program -helping new settlers. If you have further input around the points above please do write.
regards
Aurita

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NK
what does this mean? "Some schools specifically state how many terms a child will be allowed according to the term of enrollment." Btw, do the schools take your child in the same class that they were in, when they left their former school? how does that work?
regards, Aurita

·
Registered
61 Posts
NK
what does this mean? "Some schools specifically state how many terms a child will be allowed according to the term of enrollment." Btw, do the schools take your child in the same class that they were in, when they left their former school? how does that work?
regards, Aurita
Well It is stated in some school prospectus .You will have to take the report cards or any form of assessment if it is available and have an interview with the school and then they will inform what is the class appropriate for the child

Check the DCES website

or Schools and Education in Canberra Australia

NK

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi,

We moved over in October 2007. Depending on what time of year you move and the age of your child will depend on which year they will be put into. They may have to go in the year below their own age group, but generally the child is put in the year according to their age.

If there are places available, a school will accept students at any time of the year.

Dolly

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Nihariku and Dolly! I saw the replies on this post and also spoke to the SBM program officer who were very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts