Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i wanted to apply for shengen visa what would i do. am married to a british citizen and i have a child who is british as well.

i got in my passport entry clearance for 2.5 years. thanks

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
You need to apply to the country which is your main destination, or if you are visiting several Schengen countries, the country where you'll be staying the longest, and if your stays are of equal length, the first country you'll visit. You need to find out from the relevant embassy's website what they require in terms documents. Being married to a British citizen should make it a bit easier, and you don't have to pay the usual visa fees, except handling charge to a commercial visa partner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to apply to the country which is your main destination, or if you are visiting several Schengen countries, the country where you'll be staying the longest, and if your stays are of equal length, the first country you'll visit. You need to find out from the relevant embassy's website what they require in terms documents. Being married to a British citizen should make it a bit easier, and you don't have to pay the usual visa fees, except handling charge to a commercial visa partner.

Thank you very much Joppa for your quick reply, we wanted to go to france for a short vacation.......

I was looking at the documents to be submitted.
Do i have to include air tickets, hotel reference or invitation from friends or family? My wife wants to know as well..... Cheers

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
If you look at visa application form, as someone married to a British citizen, you don't need to answer any questions with an asterisk *. So no hotel reservation etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Being married to a British citizen should make it a bit easier, and you don't have to pay the usual visa fees, except handling charge to a commercial visa partner.
The application should be entirely free of any costs, unless you are given a clear choice between applying at/via the embassy directly or via the optional service provider (VFS/TLS) instead. Incase you then knowingly and willingly chose the services of the external parter, a service fee would be due.

If you apply directly at the embassy or are forced to go via the external party (which would be a violation of the visarules but not all embassies give a damn about applying the Schengen rules correctly) then no fees of any kind can be requested.

The entirely process should be free, handled ASAP (an appointment within 2 weeks and processing within 15 calender days), and with minimal documentation for EU family members joining their EU spouse to an other EU/EEA country. You'd need to show family relation (read; marital papers, preferably legalized by the issueing country and possibly also an official translation if the embassy cannot read the original documentation), ID of the nonEU and EU national (passports) and show that the non-EU member joins the EU national (written statement from the EU national should be sufficient).

If you have a booking or transportat reservation I'd include it though the application form clearky marks various questions with an * so officially no need for proof of transport, proof of accomodation, proof of funds, reasons to return, insurance etc. etc. But once again, not all embassies give a damn about proper procedures and ask more then they should. In which case I'd play along if I could or else you'd need to file a complain or get Solvit involved.

More info is found on the EU website: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm

Incase of France: last time I checked you could opt between going via TLS (costs you a service fee) or submit the application free of any costs at the embassy (appointment via TLS). THe French do request transport reservation though, even though technically they shouldn't be doing so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello am ready to apply for visa france, part of the documents to be submitted can i use my wife uk birth certificate and my child uk birth certificate plus our marriage certificate because my wife has no passport.
thanks

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
Yes, in an attached letter.
If you go to the relevant embassy site, there may be a link to booking an appointment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.