Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to calculate the savings needed for applying for a UK spouse visa if I don't meet the financial requirements and earning £15000PA?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Nanawaters,

I'm not sure what you mean by savings needed for applying for a spouse visa... but if im understanding it correctly, this is what i would say:

If you have a spouse already in the UK who is a citizen/ resident then that person will need to have the following before they will allow the other to go over:

1) a min amount of GBP19 000 in an existing bank account
2) proof of address ( letter from a landlord or the deed if you own a property )
3) 6 months payslips showing a min income of about GBP1600 per month ( could be more )

and there's another thing that seems to have slipped my mind.

In a nutshell you need to be very financially stable with a solid income and a secure place to stay.. Also your accommodation has to meet some requirements in terms of square meters i think, i could be wrong on that.

But the person in the UK has to be a citizen and not in the country on a work visa...

Hope this helps
Good Luck!!

·
Super Moderator
1,866 Posts
Does anyone know how to calculate the savings needed for applying for a UK spouse visa if I don't meet the financial requirements and earning £15000PA?
If your spouse earns £15k/annum, the shortfall is £3600.

The formula is:

3600 x 2.5 + 16000 = 25000

So you need £25000 in a bank account, readily accessible and untouched for six months. Careful if the currency is not GBP, as exchange rate fluctuations can make the balance slip below the required amount.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Brilliant explanation ALKB.

sorry for the incorrect bank account amount nanawaters.

When my husband applied it was GBP 19k...

good luck with everything

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Brilliant explanation ALKB.

sorry for the incorrect bank account amount nanawaters.

When my husband applied it was GBP 19k...

good luck with everything
The amount you need in savings depends on how much you are short in earnings from employment. It is not a set amount.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aww thanks a lot ....please I also want to find out also if he receives a gift of £25000 can he save that in his savings for the required 6months without touching and will the person the gift came from have to write any supporting letter or it wouldn't be necessary and with that £25000 and his annual salary of £15000 be enough to support the financial requirement?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
He needs the person who gifts him the money to provide a letter, as well as bank statements to prove that the amount did not wipe out his own accounts. It can not be a loan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As in loan from the person or loan from a bank?
Can I add more savings to the £25000 between the 6months? And after the 6months can the money be used after the visa application has been submitted or approved?

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Either. If someone gives you money it must be a no strings attached gift that they do not expect to be returned. It's yours to with as you wish.

Can I add more savings to the £25000 between the 6months?
The amount you are relying upon to meet the requirement must remain untouched. It's fine to add to it but only the amount that you have held for the full 6 months will be considered.

And after the 6months can the money be used after the visa application has been submitted or approved?
Yes, but remember you'll need to meet the financial requirement again when you apply for FLR(M) in 30 months.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Can I add more savings to the £25000 between the 6months? And after the 6months can the money be used after the visa application has been submitted or approved?
Cannot be a loan from the bank nor loan from person.

You can use the money after the visa has been approved but remember that the initial spouse visa is for 2.5 years and at the end of this you have to fulfill the financial requirements again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you very much for you help. You have been very helpful and one more question please.... After the first 2 and a half years if I've been working legally in the UK can my income and savings as well be summed up to reach the £18600 or if other savings required or is it still just the sponsor's income?

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
And how many months of bank statement does she need to support it with please?
Your sponsor needs 6 months of bank statements. The most recent can be no more than 28 days old at the time of online application.

If someone gives a gift if money they need to provide the bank statement showing the money leaving their account and you must provide the bank statement showing the deposit

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Thank you very much for you help. You have been very helpful and one more question please.... After the first 2 and a half years if I've been working legally in the UK can my income and savings as well be summed up to reach the £18600 or if other savings required or is it still just the sponsor's income?
You can use both yours and your sponsor's income and any other savings as required.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes that makes sense. This is out of the question
Can you apply for a visitors visa for the mean time as we work towards it before applying for spouse visa?

And with a visit visa do we need to provide same requirements or it differs

What are the chances of being approved with a visit Visor?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Your partner can visit prior to applying for the spouse visa.

Who knows what the chances are - depends on if they can prove they will return to their home country at end of visitor visa i.e employment, accommodation mortgage/ rental, other responsibilities back in home country.

Don't forget the visitor cannot work nor will have access to the NHS.

They cannot apply for a spouse visa while in the UK on a visitor visa.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I understand that.. We wanted to apply for a visit visor... Just for a couple of weeks... Sit down and plan better on how to work the spouse visa before applying as we don't want to be refused for soke reasons

·
Registered
25 Posts
They cannot apply for a spouse visa while in the UK on a visitor visa.

Hi crawford,

Been following the chat and commented earlier. I'm slightly confused. My brother is from the UK and he's hoping to do a similar thing. He plans on having his fiance over in August on a holiday visa. then get married on that side and apply for a spousal visa. while the application goes through she will come back to South Africa and once the visa is approved then she will move over.

are you saying that this is not possible??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.