Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, im from saudi and wanted to get married to my french girl friend, can you please guide me to the process, i just obtained my visit visa to france, and looking to live in france i also want to know if i'm allowed to work once we are married or not?

Thanks for your help

·
Administrator
51,363 Posts
Visit visa or visitor visa? (Basically, long or short term visa?)

If it's a long stay visitor visa, you should plan on getting married within your first 6 months in France. About two or three months before your visa expires, you go to the prefecture to ask for a change in status - i.e. from visitor to spouse of a French national. You'll have to do the OFII routine including the contract of integration (a couple of "civics" classes, evaluation of your level of French and a visit with the Pole Emploi to evaluate your employment options). And once you have changed status and have your new carte de séjour in hand, you will be able to work.

If it's really a visit visa that you have, you will need to get married within the term of your visa, then you return home and apply for a spouse visa from there. Re-enter France and go through the OFII drill and then you can work.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev, my visa is for 1year with multi 90 days duration of stay, i guess its visit visa, is't possible to change it to spouse without going back home, if not what is the process for applying for spouse visa?

Cheers,
Saad

·
Administrator
51,363 Posts
If it's not a long-stay visa, then chances are you will have to return home to apply for a spouse visa. For the spouse visa, you need the livret de famille, which you will get shortly after the wedding, plus the usual assortment of identity documents you always need for a visa.

The good news is that, they can't really deny you a spouse visa unless you have somehow committed fraud (or if you refuse to learn French). I don't know about the French Consulate in Saudi, but provided you have a French livret de famille, getting the visa should only take a few days to a week or two, tops.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.