Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for Satellite TV of some description and need an idea of what I can get and how much it will cost, I am in the Paraklisha area of Limassol.

It would be nice to get Dreambox or Sky TV anyone know anything about dish size and cost for installing something like this?

·
Registered
488 Posts
It looks like Sky is moving to a new satellite and its footprint doesn't reach Cyprus so you may do well to stay away from Sky until things become more certain.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am looking for Satellite TV of some description and need an idea of what I can get and how much it will cost, I am in the Paraklisha area of Limassol.

It would be nice to get Dreambox or Sky TV anyone know anything about dish size and cost for installing something like this?
What you after watching wise? A 1m dish should get you NileSat which has a bunch of UK programs and all the football and rugby in English.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What you after watching wise? A 1m dish should get you NileSat which has a bunch of UK programs and all the football and rugby in English.
Zin I've got nilesat and my football channels are in arabic, do I just need to retune or do I have to do something else to get them in english?
Lisa

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Zin I've got nilesat and my football channels are in arabic, do I just need to retune or do I have to do something else to get them in english?
Lisa
Which channels do you get? The English ones need a couple of cards to unscramble which cost in total around 120 euros a year.

The scrambled channels for football are:

Al Jazeera Sport +1 to +10 plus HD1 & HD2
Abu Dhabi Sports HD +3 to +8

Not sure how easy (or how legal) it is getting those cards in Cyprus.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Do you have a link to where you have that info from please...
I would get beaten up if I posted the link as it to another Cyprus forum.

Basically many people have been complaining that the Sky channels have been dropping off and both the computer shop I visited recently and an internet service provider have been inundated with requests to help set up some form of TV via the internet.

It seems that Sky are gradually moving to a new satellite as the current one is reaching the end of it's life. The new satellite has a tighter footprint so doesn't reach Cyprus.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Which channels do you get? The English ones need a couple of cards to unscramble which cost in total around 120 euros a year.

Ah I see, I thought you meant you got them in with the free channels. Although I like football I don't like it enough to pay to watch it.
Thanks for your reply though Zin.

·
Super Moderator
12,525 Posts
I have googled to try to find out if Sky is moving to a new Satellite andthe only mentions of that are from 2008. Nothing at all more recent.
Are people getting confused with the fact that BBC moved to a new satellite recently and so we have lost it here?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not too bothered about football, Cartoon network/Boomerang/Disney for my little boy and general entertainment and documentaries (Nat Geo, Discovery, Eden) would be great...a couple or so movie channels would be good too.

I have a large library of DVD movies I brought over from the UK with me but I have watched most of them now since arriving in Cyprus and would like to get some form of Satellite TV.

I would be interested to hear from any Dreambox owners, I heard about Dreambox but don't know very much about it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Like CliveO I have the same requirements, I would also be interested in any responses. We'll be in the outskirts of Nicosia so I'm not sure if our options are different.
It would be nice to find something reliable that you don't have to mess with much

Thanks,
Cds

·
Super Moderator
12,525 Posts
There was also a mention of C4 and ITV on the other forum. C5 hasn't been mentioned as far as I can remember though.
Channel 4 is gone because that is part of the BBC family. We can't get channel 5 on ordinary network but can get Channel5 HD. We have no problem with ITV although not all regions are available but that has always been the case. It depends on the strength of the signal from different regions I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been using Filmon an iPod app on my iPad and am getting all UK free to air channels Like BBC1 2 3 4 ITV 1 2 plus BBC news and Aljazera.
Check it out it is free . A simple Apple cable to connect to aHDTV although works best with Apple TV. Also works with iPhone and iPodtouch.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have been using Filmon an iPod app on my iPad and am getting all UK free to air channels Like BBC1 2 3 4 ITV 1 2 plus BBC news and Aljazera.
Check it out it is free . A simple Apple cable to connect to aHDTV although works best with Apple TV. Also works with iPhone and iPodtouch.
We tried to watch live snooker yesterday on Filmon and it just kept freezing every other second. Even with Expat Shield, I mostly get 'not sufficent bandwidth', even though I go for the Lower Bandwidth option.

I'm not a big TV user so don't feel inclined to pay out a monthly fee, it would just be nice to watch something other than Nile Sat now and again.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
488 Posts
We get our recorded then shipped out on a hard disk, the programmes that we watch were broadcast ages ago but most of them don't matter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Filmon is currently a very easy way to get much content for free in reasonable quality including all the main UK tv channels. The website is not IP locked so you don't need anything fancy. As a comparison to the garbage on terrestrial digital Cypriot TV a typically modern laptop connected to a modern LCD or plasma screen running live BBC 1 for example actually looks a lot better too. It's not HD quality but its good enough.

I haven't tried their HDi subscriptions so can't vouch for that. For anyone interested in pursuing the internet route there are many options other than this depending on the content you are interested in and even a typical baseline Cyta connection will suffice for most.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We never did have satellite and have been running Filmon for quite some time without any real problems including the HDi subscription, the problem I see now is that as more and more people are switching from satellite to Internet to get there UK TV fix, that now the Internet bandwidth is getting stretched to the limit especially in the evenings. I have also increased my subscription from 3Mb to 8Mb and I'm now seeing problems that were not there a few weeks ago. Can you all please get off the Internet so I can get my bandwidth back :>}

·
Registered
488 Posts
Maybe I need to go into business and sell my recorded programs. My next batch arrives on Thursday with my daughter so we will be catching up from February.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts