Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a bit of background

For the last 7 or 8 years we have had Sky TV provided by a UK based company. We paid them £100 a year for them to provide a UK address and about £24 a month for the Sky service.

Just recently our 'paid for' channels disappeared. When we reported this to them they said it was the fault of our equipment. As I didn't believe this (we still get free channels without a problem) and they said there was nothing they could do, I told them to cancel our account.

On 19th May they emailed me confirming our account had been cancelled.

Our problem

On 25th May a monthly payment was drawn on our debit card. When I contacted the company they said this was a final payment as, although our payments were in advance, I had not given 31 days notice.

My claim is that, by not providing the service they should have, they had broken the contract. It also says on their web page that cancellation terms are 48 hours.

Anyone any suggestion how I can get the money back for this last payment?

·
Registered
381 Posts
First a bit of background

For the last 7 or 8 years we have had Sky TV provided by a UK based company. We paid them £100 a year for them to provide a UK address and about £24 a month for the Sky service.

Just recently our 'paid for' channels disappeared. When we reported this to them they said it was the fault of our equipment. As I didn't believe this (we still get free channels without a problem) and they said there was nothing they could do, I told them to cancel our account.

On 19th May they emailed me confirming our account had been cancelled.

Our problem

On 25th May a monthly payment was drawn on our debit card. When I contacted the company they said this was a final payment as, although our payments were in advance, I had not given 31 days notice.

My claim is that, by not providing the service they should have, they had broken the contract. It also says on their web page that cancellation terms are 48 hours.

Anyone any suggestion how I can get the money back for this last payment?
If you contact your bank you usually have a minimum of 15 days (some bank allow 20 or 30 days) during which you can send bills back.

·
Registered
718 Posts
For information :
Sky requires 31 days notice to cancel.
This is so the final amount on the accounts can be sorted out, and adjusted for in the final collection.
Which is probably why this company that provides you with the uk address, also want 31 days notice.

However, I have had a few calls about people using such a service where their pay channels have disappeared, and the company cannot get them back and claim that it is the clients equipment that is at fault, and not admitting that it is a problem with that companies account with Sky...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For information :
Sky requires 31 days notice to cancel.
This is so the final amount on the accounts can be sorted out, and adjusted for in the final collection.
Which is probably why this company that provides you with the uk address, also want 31 days notice.

However, I have had a few calls about people using such a service where their pay channels have disappeared, and the company cannot get them back and claim that it is the clients equipment that is at fault, and not admitting that it is a problem with that companies account with Sky...
They suggest I contact Sky UK. I have always been told not to do that as we are not supposed to have Sky in Spain. If I can deal with Sky UK why have been paying £100 a year to this company to pretend I have a UK address?

Is there anything I can do or do I just I accept I have to pay this €40 for nothing?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Basically you should not have to contact Sky, as this company are dealing with the account on your behalf - that is what you are paying your £100 a year for!

And it is highly unlikely you will get access to the account, as only this company will know the address and any passwords they have on the account...unless they have supplied you with these, which they usually do not.

Sky have this 31 days rule for many many years, now. And it is there to make sure the account is fully paid, or credits given. Normally with Sky, if the payment due date is within a certain time frame of when you cancel, it is too late to stop that payment being made, and all Sky can do is credit the account on the next payment date....

But then this company should have sorted out your pay channels before it ever came to this, either by sorting the account out with Sky, or sending you a new card with a new account.

It sounds like unfortunate for you there is little you can do....

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
They suggest I contact Sky UK. I have always been told not to do that as we are not supposed to have Sky in Spain. If I can deal with Sky UK why have been paying £100 a year to this company to pretend I have a UK address?

Is there anything I can do or do I just I accept I have to pay this €40 for nothing?
Are you paying via a Spanish bank ?, if so just ask them to snatch the money back (as has been said)
What can they do ............. nothing IMO. ;)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically you should not have to contact Sky, as this company are dealing with the account on your behalf - that is what you are paying your £100 a year for!

And it is highly unlikely you will get access to the account, as only this company will know the address and any passwords they have on the account...unless they have supplied you with these, which they usually do not.

Sky have this 31 days rule for many many years, now. And it is there to make sure the account is fully paid, or credits given. Normally with Sky, if the payment due date is within a certain time frame of when you cancel, it is too late to stop that payment being made, and all Sky can do is credit the account on the next payment date....

But then this company should have sorted out your pay channels before it ever came to this, either by sorting the account out with Sky, or sending you a new card with a new account.

It sounds like unfortunate for you there is little you can do....

Thanks for this information Sat.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you paying via a Spanish bank ?, if so just ask them to snatch the money back (as has been said)
What can they do ............. nothing IMO. ;)
It is taken from my Spanish debit card. That is the only way they accept payment from Spain.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... The OP says it was via a debit card - therefore, I don't think this can be overturned or returned .
That is correct. I have contacted the bank and they say they cannot do anything about it. I have asked them to make sure no more payments are taken.

It is not really the money (although it is over 40 euros) it is the principle. I stopped receiving channels I had paid for this month and they still charge me for next month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts