Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving from Derbyshire in the UK to Portugal:car: in about 6/7 weeks time. Is there a particular satnav that you would recommend for European travel. I have an old TomTom one that isn't Europe wide and it has sent me up many a dead end road even here in the UK so wondering if there is something better than a more uptodate tom tom out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I am driving from Derbyshire in the UK to Portugal:car: in about 6/7 weeks time. Is there a particular satnav that you would recommend for European travel. I have an old TomTom one that isn't Europe wide and it has sent me up many a dead end road even here in the UK so wondering if there is something better than a more uptodate tom tom out there.
You can get up to date tomtom´s for EUROPE,. Hva e look at Halfords or Amazon.
We bought out TOMTOM Go LIve 1005 from Amazon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you find the newer TomTom's mapping is better now? My TomTom one has been great for what I wanted but it has sent me along some very strange routes and very round about ways to get places, luckily I have a good sense of direction so got back out of it. I have wondered if a Garmin or Navstar or other system is better.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
we have a built in sat nav with our car.....and we have bought a tomtom!!! I know I can reply on it and provided you update it periodically it will give little trouble
Of course when oneway systems are changed to the opposite direction at short notice ....NO satnav can cope!!!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Use a TomTom QXL here, no real problems at all, driving down you really don't need one if France it's E402, E502, E5, E80 all the way to Portugal, one thing you should be careful of none of the Sat Navs seem to have yet been updated with the Portuguese electronic toll roads Portal Tráfego

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well an updated Tom Tom it will be then. Am going to drive to Plymouth, go across on ferry into Santander and down that way.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Two choices Santander to Valladolid pick up E80 cross border at Vilar Formoso (stop over in Salamanca lovely city) then two more choices southern route through Guarda, Castelo Branco, Tomar or Coimbra then south
Or if you'd like to see a bit, well a lot of Portugal
Santander to Leon then Ourense but you can then cross at Braganca, Chaves, Moncao, Tui and then south theres a few other crossing but these have major roads south.
Santander don't be fooled by the "local friends" telling you to pull in because you've a flat or anything like that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two choices Santander to Valladolid pick up E80 cross border at Vilar Formoso (stop over in Salamanca lovely city) then two more choices southern route through Guarda, Castelo Branco, Tomar or Coimbra then south
Or if you'd like to see a bit, well a lot of Portugal
Santander to Leon then Ourense but you can then cross at Braganca, Chaves, Moncao, Tui and then south theres a few other crossing but these have major roads south.
Santander don't be fooled by the "local friends" telling you to pull in because you've a flat or anything like that.
Thanks for that - no I am having the car fully serviced before I leave and I won't be stopping for anybody. Am planning on getting off at Santander and then not stop in Spain and straight into top end of Portugal. Stay overnight there and then take the coast road down. Don't want to waste to much time as will have a cat and two dogs in the car with me so want to get there as reasonably quickly as possible, mainly for the cat and then can spend the rest of my life exploring Portugal at leisure!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Well an updated Tom Tom it will be then. Am going to drive to Plymouth, go across on ferry into Santander and down that way.

We do the Santander route twice a year and the journey is very pleasant and easy.

7.5 hours from the ferry to Rio Maior (between Santarem in the west and Caldas da Rainha in the East)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn't meaning car services, warning you about thieves who operate on outskirts of Santander
Hiya, yes sorry did realize that's what you meant - just meant I am having a good service to make sure it doesn't break down on the way and I am forced to stop. Will fill up with petrol before I leave UK.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We do the Santander route twice a year and the journey is very pleasant and easy.

7.5 hours from the ferry to Rio Maior (between Santarem in the west and Caldas da Rainha in the East)
Oh, that's good to know, actually if it is only just over 7 hours will probably just get there as going to be in the Caldas da Rainha area (hopefully). It is a long drive but I've done longer and it means I can get the cat out of her crate and settled faster. Do you mind if I ask you when you get off at Santander which route do you take - I understand some of the roads are toll roads now, not sure how much they are but frankly don't mind paying it if it is a faster route (things I do for my animals).

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
It's do able but not recommended with one person driving, don't forget time ferry arrives, if you have no idea where your going to stay

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's do able but not recommended with one person driving, don't forget time ferry arrives, if you have no idea where your going to stay
Will have a place sorted out before I come so will have somewhere to go to. I once drove to Edinburgh and back in a day (from midlands) and from Nova Scotia to Toronto (one way) in Canada!!! If I've had a good sleep on the ferry I should be fine, I am going to get a cabin so can get my head down - if I don't feel it is do able then I will stop somewhere.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Still a long way, I posted the Portuguese electronic toll roads, as you have a UK car your supposed to pre pay or rent a "box", give me your planed route and I'll put all information up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still a long way, I posted the Portuguese electronic toll roads, as you have a UK car your supposed to pre pay or rent a "box", give me your planed route and I'll put all information up.
Haven't actually planned a route out yet as only sold house two days ago so all kicked into gear considerably faster than I expected. These toll roads sound as if they could be a bit of a pain in the derriere. Assumed they would just be a case of roll up, go through the toll booth, pay your dues and away you go. Will let you know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Use a TomTom QXL here, no real problems at all, driving down you really don't need one if France it's E402, E502, E5, E80 all the way to Portugal, one thing you should be careful of none of the Sat Navs seem to have yet been updated with the Portuguese electronic toll roads Portal Tráfego
hate to disagree but our TomTom was showing the A22 as a toll road last week - maybe it's just a matter of getting the latest map?

jeff

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Interesting I'd updated last week and my local still not showing, are TomTom making any note about electronic nature or just it's a toll road?

mehereathome, that's the problem the electronic toll roads I posted don't have traditional ticket & pay booths, for a foreign registered car see here on how to pay http://www.visitportugal.com/NR/exeres/D1F46576-727B-42CA-BA69-C33AFBA3D81C,frameless.htm
Whether you do or not personal choice, they don't appear to be currently chasing foreign drivers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts