Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We feel we are being offered a very good package from our prospective employer, however need a reality check!!
Can anyone offer some advice on this......

Family of five, (3 teenagers, 12 to 16 yrs, in the mix)
Education, housing and transport - appears to be covered given our research
Medical 75% basic BUPA coverage
Base Salary 17,500 drms per month

We are currently in Australia.
Any feedback would be appreciated, especially on the base salary.
Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
You could manage on AED 17.5K a month, but ONLY if all accomodation, bills and school fees are covered. It doesn't sound anything like a good package at the moment and you shold ask for rather more than the basic BUPA plan.

-

·
Banned
598 Posts
It all depends on the style of living you are used to.
Going out to eat here is exspensive. Clothes are exspenisive. Groceries are exspensive. Basically everything is exspensive. Plus you have 3 teenagers, you will go broke trying to keep them busy ie movies ect.. And I am sure you wont to save some money coming here right?
I would ask for double the salary, and 100% covered insurance, plus keep all the stuff they allready offered you. Teens will want thier own room, so you will need a 4 bedroom villa, thats min 200k aed a year, so make sure the company will give you at least that much for a home. You will need 2 cars, so make sure you have at least car allowance to cover 1 complete car and then make sure you havemoney to cover the 2nd. This can go on and on.

I am sorry, but I would turn it down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elphaba,
Thanks so much for the prompt response. Will take onboard.
We have some points to clarify with our employer over the next few days regarding BUPA and cost of living, etc.
Again, many thanks,
Ev

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It all depends on the style of living you are used to.
Going out to eat here is exspensive. Clothes are exspenisive. Groceries are exspensive. Basically everything is exspensive. Plus you have 3 teenagers, you will go broke trying to keep them busy ie movies ect.. And I am sure you wont to save some money coming here right?
I would ask for double the salary, and 100% covered insurance, plus keep all the stuff they allready offered you. Teens will want thier own room, so you will need a 4 bedroom villa, thats min 200k aed a year, so make sure the company will give you at least that much for a home. You will need 2 cars, so make sure you have at least car allowance to cover 1 complete car and then make sure you havemoney to cover the 2nd. This can go on and on.

I am sorry, but I would turn it down.
Thanks Mr Big,
Not what we wanted to hear, perhaps, but we did ask for a reality check!!
Thanks for your comments.
Ev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,
We feel we are being offered a very good package from our prospective employer, however need a reality check!!

17500 AED per month is definitely not bad but not fantastic either if you don't get any housing allowance on top of it.

Education fees may also be quite significant.

Your question is very common among future expats. I've made a Dubai living cost calculator that makes it easier to understand what you salary should be. The forum does not allow me post links. Use the following, just remove the () brackets.

Let me know if it was useful!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do agree with most of the replies...
the basic is Not too bad but not ideal too...
definitely no room for any saving...
(I assumed your accommodation is covered 100% )
with a family of 4 (my case.. two small kids... I am spending around 15K permonth... )
Try to ask for more.... around 25k/month is good
good luck..
dylan

Hi all,

·
Registered
15 Posts
17500 AED per month is definitely not bad but not fantastic either if you don't get any housing allowance on top of it.

Education fees may also be quite significant.

Your question is very common among future expats. I've made a Dubai living cost calculator that makes it easier to understand what you salary should be. The forum does not allow me post links. Use the following, just remove the () brackets.

Let me know if it was useful!
Ilya,
Thanks for your response and link. It was very helpful.
Your link was informative, just what we needed, an idea of the general cost of living. As I said in my initial question, our Housing, Education, which seem to be the greatest expense are covered. I guess by the response from others we did not make ourselves clear on that point. Ah well, we've signed the contract and are coming over anyway, we will soon find out how things are.
We are not coming over to make heaps of money, we are coming over for the job and the experience.
Thanks again for your valued input!!
Ev

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks DylanJamal,
I am not sure if the others who have responded have kids but your input is most welcome.
We are looking at the Mirdiff area to rent a villa. Can you advise if this is a family friendly area?
Cheers
Ev

·
Banned
598 Posts
Any place that have villas and bungalows are great for family living. The only places not good for kids are the high rise apartments. Not much for little ones to do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks DylanJamal,
I am not sure if the others who have responded have kids but your input is most welcome.
We are looking at the Mirdiff area to rent a villa. Can you advise if this is a family friendly area?
Cheers
Ev
Hi Ev,,,
I am afraid can not give you info. about Mirdiff area... (as am still new in Dubai.. and living in Discovery Garden.. driving every day to Abu dhabi...) hopefully somebody from there or some one who lived in Dubai for a long time could give you more info. about Mirdiff..... (but...small reminder.. would be nice to be close to your kids school.... many people here say, "one need to find school then a place close to it for living... but may be this point is MORE important for small kids....)

Good luck...
Dylan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you out of your mind

A good package? I bet all my fotune that you will be broke ( and homeless) by the end of this year.

You have a lot of reality checks to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are DRMS and AED the same?

You could manage on AED 17.5K a month, but ONLY if all accomodation, bills and school fees are covered. It doesn't sound anything like a good package at the moment and you shold ask for rather more than the basic BUPA plan.

-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hiya Dylan,

Does that 15k a month include food, petrol, social outings, electricity etc?

Thanks
Becca

I do agree with most of the replies...
the basic is Not too bad but not ideal too...
definitely no room for any saving...
(I assumed your accommodation is covered 100% )
with a family of 4 (my case.. two small kids... I am spending around 15K permonth... )
Try to ask for more.... around 25k/month is good
good luck..
dylan

·
Banned
598 Posts
A good package? I bet all my fotune that you will be broke ( and homeless) by the end of this year.

You have a lot of reality checks to do.

your entire "fotune"? lol
This guy might have reality checks but you have some spelling checks to do. ;)

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Thanks DylanJamal,
Cheers
Ev
Mirdiff is mainly villas (a few apartment blocks in the centre) so I guess you could say it was family friendly, but it really depends on who your neighbours are. Mirdiff is cheaper than many other areas as it not central and suffers from noise from airplanes. This is quite significant, especially in the centre (nr Uptown Mirdiff). I know a few people who live their who say that you get used to the noise, but they are not in the middle. The pay off is that you get more villa for your money.

-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rather than stating that he will "be broke (and homeless) by the end of this year" would it not be more constructive to offer some advice and help with those "reality checks".

Surely we are here to help those who are considering a move. As one of those people myself an idea of excatly how much one should look at as a minimum salary and an idea of how much things do cost in reality (from your own experience) would be much more helpful.

your entire "fotune"? lol
This guy might have reality checks but you have some spelling checks to do. ;)

·
Banned
598 Posts
oh why did you have to quote my post? I'm not the guy who has no tactful way about him! lol. oh well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Haha yes, sorry about that mrbig, still learning my way around and couldn't find the original one to comment on. Sincere apologies. I will shout you a pint once I hit Dubai before I go broke. Hehe.

oh why did you have to quote my post? I'm not the guy who has no tactful way about him! lol. oh well

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.